Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watch Chains

Sean1982

New in Town
I need to get myself a digital camera!

I have a nice solid silver double albert (each link stamped with the silver mark), with a 'City Business House' pendant on it, with the crest of the City of London. It's beautiful.

Feraud

Bartender
I picked up an interesting watch chain. The links are letters that spell out the owners name! A lot (if not most) of men's jewelery will go with initials.
This one is different in showing his full name.
I love these oddities.

Feraud

Bartender
DSC07628.jpg

DSC07630.jpg

Mr. Coleman was hip.

draws

Practically Family
Feraud said:
DSC07628.jpg

DSC07630.jpg

Mr. Coleman was hip.
Feraud, that is so cool!!!!! I love it! Congrats on that wonderful find.
Do you know if it is gold filled/solid? Perhaps custom made? Other metal?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hot damn!! I like Mr. Coleman already!

For folks who have pocket-watches, but don't wear waistcoats or trousers with watch-pockets, how/do you wear your watches?

Most of my trousers have watch-pockets, but they're not all big enough to contain my watches. I regularly wear my pocket-watches in the breast-pocket of my shirt with the T-bar through the button nearest to the top of the pocket (usually the 2nd or 3rd one down from the top). A bit unconventional, perhaps, but I think it looks cool.

Edward

Bartender
Shangas said:

For folks who have pocket-watches, but don't wear waistcoats or trousers with watch-pockets, how/do you wear your watches?

Most of my trousers have watch-pockets, but they're not all big enough to contain my watches. I regularly wear my pocket-watches in the breast-pocket of my shirt with the T-bar through the button nearest to the top of the pocket (usually the 2nd or 3rd one down from the top). A bit unconventional, perhaps, but I think it looks cool.

I recently went out a couple of nights in a drape jacket (sans waistcoat), and I did just that. With a blazer with a buttonhole, you can always go for the breast pocket with the T bar through the button hole in the lapel, a la Gomez Addams (among many others). The only drawback there is that that means foregoing a pocket square.

Feraud

Bartender
draws said:
Feraud, that is so cool!!!!! I love it! Congrats on that wonderful find.
Do you know if it is gold filled/solid? Perhaps custom made? Other metal?
Thanks. This is definitely in the "other metal" category. :)
As for custom made... probably not. Because this is not a solid gold, plated or filled material I do not think it is custom. A business was offering these chains and Mr. Coleman took advantage of it. He also took great care of this. There is basically no wear to the chain at all. You can see a lot of men's jewelery in the past that made use of initials. I found this piece special because it spelled out the entire name. I've not seen this before.

Shangas said:
Not so unconventional. I too wear a watch this way when without a vest.
:)

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Oh! It's wonderful to know I'm not a weirdo, then!

Hey Edward,

Yes I also wear my watch in the breast-pocket of my jacket with the chain through the lapel buttonhole (but only on formal occasions). I admit I got the idea DIRECTLY from Gomez Addams, after watching him in The Addams Family (the old, 1960s TV show). I noticed how he wore his watch and thought it looked cool. I've worn it like that (on occasion), ever since!

Feraud

Bartender
Let me go back and correct myself. Upon further reflection I think this is a key chain and not a watch. The length and setup of the letters (running vertically) lends itself to be viewed while hanging from a belt to pocket as opposed to horizontally across a vest.
Feraud said:

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Shangas said:

I have tried the watch in the breast pocket but most of my pocket are rather deep so it was a bit fiddly to get out. I do like the idea though.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Well, the fates have been kind to me!

Here I have my gold-filled ringtop vest-pocket fountain pen!!

AllUncapped.jpg

AllCapped.jpg

It's the middle pen in the first photo, and the bottom one, in the second photo.

Now I have a proper, practical, and absolutely DARLING fob for my watch-chain :)

Feraud

Bartender
Shangas is there sufficient chain drop to alllow the pen to be placed in the pocket? If not, you might want to find what is called a double "Albert" style chain or a double clip version like this-
DSC07599.jpg

Ideally, a larger item like a pen, knife, cigar cutter, matchsafe, etc. should be tucked in a pocket while smaller fobs can hang freely on the vest.

Feraud

Bartender
That is a beautiful watch. Is that a "D" inscribed on the back of the case?

I will guess it will be near impossible to find a Hamilton watch chain.
I've never seen a chain marked with a company name. That is not to say companies did not sell watches and chains together or stamp the chain. Most chain marks are on the clip or bar and stamped with initials and patent info.

My advice would be to find a chain to compliement the watch. There are a lot of chains and styles available for you to choose from.
Do you know what the case is made of?
Depending on your budget you can find a great chain to hold the watch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana