Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watch Chains

Edward

Bartender
The other option would be to seek out a coin that came with a hole in it to begin with. I have a 5 peseta piece hanging on the keychain with my work keys - came from among loose change left over from my first work trip to Spanish territory, back in 2000 (obviously before the Euro kicked in). That coin had a hole in the middle of it. I also remember as a child having an old (late Empire era) Indian coin that was minted with a hole in the middle - some Japanese coins still do, I believe. If you found one of those in a gold colour, it should be a fairly simple matter to get it onto the end of a chain?

ETA - ah, I see you have a coin picked out. Is it a modern production? If it's recent and its value comprises the statement it makes rather than any real monetary value, I'd be tempted just to drill it. Simple, and I'd have more faith in it holding than anything involving soldering, etc.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Edward said:
Simple, and I'd have more faith in it holding than anything involving soldering, etc.

A properly soldered joint is extremely strong, but it has to be done properly. No plumber's solder.

Highlander

A-List Customer
I am a big fan of the bezel. While the coin will get some wear, at least the entire value hasn't been diminished by drilling a hole in it.

Also, using a very nice coin (and XF to UNC) would be something I couldn't do either. I'd look for a nice Fine graded coin. You won't damage the value too much etc. But if it is truly collectable, XF to UNC's are so limited, that I'd consider it a sin to even expose them to the wear.

I see the coin you are looking at. Nice choice.

Steve

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Edward said:
Yes, that's the killer - not something easily done at home.

That is true. I can, but I'm a silversmith ;) It could be easily done if brought to a jeweler, though, and at a much lower cost than an encircling bezel.

But it comes down to looks. The bezel, soldered ring, and hole all have their own look when hanging from a watch chain, so you've got to choose the one that works best for yourself.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I feel you would be bsest served by having the band made to fit around the rim with the proper attachment hardware. This way your coin would be undamaged/unaltered to enhance value. The "punch a hole in it" look looks crude and amatureish.

Edward

Bartender
Is the coin vintage? I understand its general significance, but which conflict did these originally refer to - WW2, spcifically in the Pacific theatre?

chucklehead

A-List Customer
Something for your watch chain.

Something for your watch chain

Final2-1.jpg

Bourbon Guy

A-List Customer
Still conflicted about steampunk stuff, and still see this and think it's cool. Maybe someday I will grow up.

Why does it not surprise me that Will Smith is a Scientologist now?

freebird

Practically Family
that's pretty cool, but I'd like to see one made from an old zippo case, made to look like a 20's to 50's ligher.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
freebird said:
that's pretty cool, but I'd like to see one made from an old zippo case, made to look like a 20's to 50's ligher.

Good idea, but could you get the case lid far enough back to plug in the USB drive? Perhaps a secondary spring catch or some sort of cam to extend the USB part as or after the lid is flicked open. There are always...possibilities :)

As for the one in the FP, that would definitly go on the other end of my watch chain while at school. Don't know if I'd wear it other places, but only because I wouldn't need the drive.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Wearing a watch chain... how to position the t-bar?

I found this old photograph online and I see a few interesting choices that this young man has made, both in what he is wearing and how he is wearing it. Notice how high the coat's lapels are, and I do believe that the suit buttons are fabric covered. The bow tie has an interesting knot and an unusual arrangement over the top of the suit coat lapels, and the coat itself is only buttoned at the very top. Of particular interest to me the watch chain has been attached to a waistcoat buttonhole with the t-bar pushed through from underneath to be exposed from the front. I have only ever seen a watch chain with a t-bar worn with the t-bar pushed through the buttonhole from the front, to be hidden discretely beneath the waistcoat. If a fob is attached, this also allows it to hang cleanly down the front, and you can see here in the detail photo that there does appear to be a fob trying desperately to be seen peeking out from under the waistcoat. Is anyone aware of how common this style of wearing a watch chain may have been? Or is it more likely that this fellow was just one to try different ways of doing things?

16822134355.jpg

16822134348.jpg

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I've seen a few other pictures of watch chains being worn this way. I don't know if it is to be labled 'incorrect', but in my mind it's not the better way of doing it. Besides the fob and the toggle, it makes the whole chain look off-centre. That becomes even more apparent with a double albert.

D

DeaconKC

One other possibility is he might have a ring top pen attached to the chain as well. This would allow him to tuck the pen into the vest pocket. An outside possibility at best, more likely just an individualist.

Feraud

Bartender
This is not an uncommon way to wear the chain. This fellow has his watch tucked in his left vest pocket. The chain is coming over the seam of the vest from left to right. If he wore his watch in his right pocket the chain would ride along the right side of the vest and the chain and t-bar would go under the end of the vest and up from the buttonhole.

How well the fob is displayed also depends on how it is attached to the chain. Some fobs are attached on short chain, slider, etc.

There is hardly a wrong way to wear a watch chain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR