Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watch Chains

shortbow

Practically Family
I dunno about the correctness of it, but I've always worn mine the way the feller in the pic is, but I carry the watch in my right vest pocket.

MB5

One of the Regulars
In regards to only the top button being buttoned, I just found this at gentlemansemporium.com, in their Victorian Fashion Guide.

"Many men even wore their coats buttoned only with the top button, thereby allowing more of their vest to be seen."

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
The buttoning is also possibly a factor of the cut of the coat; I have a 3-button morning coat which takes well to being buttoned in a similar manner.

There is a rather good Shire Editions book about gentlemen's accessories which shews various methods of wearing a watch chain; there seems to have been no standard way in Victorian/Edwardian times. My own feeling is that the method illustrated may have been connected with the older practice of wearing, not a t-bar, but a trumpet-shaped watch key on the [non-watch]end of a chain, which would naturally lead to the wish to have the key/bar being kept outside the waistcoat. for reasons of accessibility.

undertaker

Practically Family
Yes..... As pocket watches got smaller the chains seem to have gotten "thinner" and they seem a little shorter to me. I have some from the late 19th century that are very heavy and thick that I pair with 18s pocket watches and I have some that I pair with smaller watches like 14s or 12s from the late 20's & 30's thru the 40's & 50's. These smaller watch chains often seem to have ornate carved links.

Regards,
J.S.

Troglodyte

Familiar Face
Wearing Pocket Watch With Academic Keys

Lurking around here and reading the threads, I've ended up digging out my father's old pocket watch, and I'm going to start wearing it after I get a chain and some leather straps. You are, collectively, a bad influence.

I had heard that some people wear their keys from academic honor societies (Phi Beta Kappa, etc.) on their watch chains. I earned a couple in school, and am wondering:

- How would these be worn? A double Albert chain with a vest is easy to figure out, but what about when wearing a two-piece suit with the T-bar through the lapel buttonhole? And is it possible when dressed in WWII khakis with the watch pocket, or even Levi's?

- Could you post pictures of correct wear?

- Do any of the folks here wear them?

Thanks,
Trog

Feraud

Bartender
A double Albert style chain might look a bit busy worn through a lapel buttonhole. There will be two chains dangling around.

For a first watch chain to wear with a suit I suggest a single. You can wear it with a vest or without in your lapel buttonhole.
Look for single and double chains with a few additional links that will hold your fobs.

If you are wear jeans and khakis more often then start with a leather fob.

This thread shows some chain options.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=25632

Post pics of your dad's watch.

Troglodyte

Familiar Face
Thanks!

Thanks, Feraud! I'm still too new to post photos, but the watch is nothing special. An old Waltham, easily found on eBay for $30 or less. But it's been in the family for four generations, so it's got sentimental value to me.

What do you think about fobs/keys on watch chain worn with a blazer (through the lapel buttonhole)? Too flashy?

Best,
Trog

Feraud

Bartender
If the watch has been in your family for four generations I think it is plenty special.

Keep in mind in this day and age wearing a pocket watch with a chain is viewed as flashy by most people. The choice to wear one is making some statement. I've never worn a watch chain attached to my jacket lapel. The watch doesn't feel secure. Just a personal quirk. [huh]

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Troglodyte said:
I had heard that some people wear their keys from academic honor societies (Phi Beta Kappa, etc.) on their watch chains. I earned a couple in school, and am wondering:

- How would these be worn?

- Do any of the folks here wear them?
Trog

I use an Elgin pocketwatch with my PBK key on chain;
across for vest or passed through lapel, and for casual wear
I belt loop the chain on my left side.

Troglodyte

Familiar Face
Show me?

Harp:

Could you post a photo or two? I'm clear how the vest would look, but interested to see the others in practice.

If not, I'm sure I can work something out with what you and Feraud have told me already. Amazing how easy it is to get great expert opinions in the digital age!

Thanks.

Best,
Trog

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Troglodyte said:
Harp:
...I'm sure I can work something out with what you and Feraud have told me already.
Thanks...
Trog

Quite welcome, Trog.

Honour nourishes the arts,
and all are stimulated to the prosecution of studies by glory.

Turley
:)

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:
A double Albert style chain might look a bit busy worn through a lapel buttonhole. There will be two chains dangling around.

I saw this on the cover of a book yesterday, it was some English travel book. The author had a gold double albert with a shield fob through the lapel button hole. It was rather busy.

Feraud

Bartender
Old photos demonstrate the variety of ways in which watch chains were worn. There is rarely a right or wrong way to wear them. It is mostly personal choice.

Feraud

Bartender
Here is an illustration showing a leather fob run through a buttonhole.
AuctionphotosApil027.jpg

From this excellent thread -
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=18122

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Feraud said:
If the watch has been in your family for four generations I think it is plenty special.

Keep in mind in this day and age wearing a pocket watch with a chain is viewed as flashy by most people. The choice to wear one is making some statement...

I know exactly what you mean, I often get the "are you a barrister?" comment when wearing a pocket watch. Perhaps that's what comes from frequenting a bar near the Crown court. [huh]

As with many things it's about being comfortable but I got used to it pretty quickly. I also agree that a single chain would be a good start, as mentioned on a previous thread I have a small shield charm on my train, again something passed down in the family.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Ethan Bentley said:
I know exactly what you mean, I often get the "are you a barrister?" comment when wearing a pocket watch. Perhaps that's what comes from frequenting a bar near the Crown court....

so you didn't pass the Bar... ;)

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Boutonniere Watch Fob?

Spent the day fighting a losing battle with a cold and watching TCM. The day's marathon was several Torchy Blane movies. In Torchy Blane in Chinatown (1939), reporter Torchy Blane (Glenda Farrell) has a boyfriend, Detective Lieutenant Steve 'Mac' McBride (Barton MacLane), who at one point pulls a pocket watch from his front, left jacket pocket. The fob is attached at the boutonniere hole in the lapel. Has anyone seen one of these fobs?

I did a quick Google search and came up empty, except for one site that came up as an error.

Fun films, by the way.

Lee

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
MrNewportCustom said:
Detective Lieutenant Steve 'Mac' McBride (Barton MacLane), who at one point pulls a pocket watch from his front, left jacket pocket. The fob is attached at the boutonniere hole in the lapel. Has anyone seen one of these fobs?

Dear Lee,
Our esteemed fellow-lounger FERAUD posted a period illustration showing what you describe, I believe, just a bit ago; it's HERE:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=766593&postcount=11

Cheers
"Skeet"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner