Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Waterfall bedroom

Jish1969

Familiar Face
Just wanted to show you guys and gals the beginnings of our Waterfall bedroom, I got the dresser two years ago and we found my wife's vanity about three months ago at a flea market for 50 bucks. I sadly just missed out on the matching nightstand a few weeks ago at an estate sale, but we are hoping to find a pair soon. Notice the "waterfall" part of the vanity is a bit off, thats because those sections were missing the veneers and that is my first attempt to fix it. The grain went horizontally on the broken patches that were left on it and I took a sample to a woodworker and we both agreed on the match, but it just isnt right. I amay attempt a fix in the future but it is swell for now. I am also including our new bargain finds of a Westclox "Baby Ben" alarm clock(circa 1954-58) and a Deihl Junior table fan from this past weekend because I really dont feel like starting a new post just for those two items:). I put a new cord on the fan from my old alarm clock because the Baby Ben is really doing the job for me and I love to look at the luminous dials... Enjoy!

misccrap011.jpg
[/IMG]
misccrap009.jpg
[/IMG]

misccrap012.jpg
[/IMG]

misccrap016.jpg
[/IMG]

Jish1969

Familiar Face
Hey does anybody have a pic or a link of what the bed frame will look like for my set? I have scoured the net and cannot find even a pic. Also, if all goes well I sould have a Lane cedar chest by tomorrow...

crwritt

One Too Many
My Grandparents had a similar set, the vanity looks so familiar! This one is very much like the one they had, minus the posts. I hope this helps you, sadly my Grandparents house burned in the '80's, the bedroom set along with it.
EXV9337225_b.jpg

So I guess it would be more like this
resizephotoimg.php

Jish1969

Familiar Face
UPDATE-Got the Lane Cedar Chest

Well I went out and got the cedar chest today from an ad on the C-list, matches the furniture to a tee. The veneers on the base are in a bad state, so I wil decide what to do with them later today. I may take them off, sand it down and stain it as a temporary solution. The cost-40 bucks...

NewLaneCedarChest002.jpg
[/IMG]

NewLaneCedarChest001.jpg
[/IMG]

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Lovely! We have a waterfall set in our guest bedroom - it was my bedroom furniture before we got married. I paid $300 for it at an antique shop, and it included the bed frame, dresser with mirror, chest of drawers. Later I picked up a matching night stand, bench for the dresser, wardrobe, and a 1940s Philco radio that is almost an identical match. I thought I had some photos of the set, but apparently not - I'll try to take some so you can see the bed frame style. It is quite similar to the one posted by crwritt.

tuppence

Practically Family
I love the American waterfall furniture. I wish we had it over here.
I gave up trying to glue back old veneer. Now I just stain the missing spots to make it less noticeable until, the day I find out exaxtly what glue/technique to use.

Jish1969

Familiar Face
Tuppence, I have had the same problems with veneers....I have found that the best way to glue old veneers back is to cut them off first with a razor knife, soak it in hot water, then take the wife's hair dryer to the piece so it isn't soaking wet. Then its very damp and very pliable so I spread some wood glue on it and either hold it down or weigh it down with something. This has given me the best results yet. For the bottom of the cedar chest though I think I am going to thin out the wood glue and "inject" it into the peelings with a small baster, and then rub it down with a hot damp cloth going with the grain. If that doesn't work I am going to stain it though...

Jish1969

Familiar Face
PROGRESS!

I found a vanity chair yesterday for 20 bucks! And just in time for our anniversary tomorrow, pics to come tonight...

Jish1969

Familiar Face
Vanity chair

Well here it is, I got it off the c-list and its not in bad shape. I'm gonna need to reupholster the cushion at the wife's behest, but aside from that all it needs is some Murphy's oil soap and a lil' Old English to make it new again...I don't know if I've been getting lucky or what lately but the bedroom is really coming together. Excuse the mess in the pic, its been a long week...

toaster003-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Jish1969

Familiar Face
Found the bed

Ive been haunting the antique stores around Buffalo lately looking for a 30's-40'3 ladies' Elgin wristwatch for my wife this christmas, because I wanna dazzle her with deco. The owner of a local curiosity shoppe tells me last week to stop by today so he could have time to remember where he misplaced his watches, but alas the search continues. He starts telling me about how the two basements below the building are packed full, so I ask if he has any deco bedroom furniture; ten minutes of me running wild through this cellar of forgotten memories and I find the bed frame I have been looking for wedged between two gigantic victorian buffets! Harold, the owner of the store, is cleaning it up, oiling it, and giving me a spare set of wheels and I am picking it up on Saturday! But don't tell the wife, I want this to be a surprise too, hehe...

cool011.jpg
[/IMG]

cool013.jpg
[/IMG]

cool012.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Nice!!

Here are some photos of our set. These were taken several years ago when we were moving into our home, so please excuse the sparse & bland decor.

I paid $5 for this chair at an estate sale. The night table I found in an abandoned farm house, it matches the bedroom furniture very nicely.
r1fn93.jpg

The radio we paid $40 at a garage sale, it works but we don't use it other than a display piece. Unsure of age. Maybe 1940s?
8xllkw.jpg

I bought the set - bed, dresser, chest - for $300 at an antique store about 15 years ago.
ndl7k6.jpg

2ppj9ty.jpg

308bbr5.jpg

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Rather than yellow wood glue, veneer is best attached with a long-opening time epoxy and just weighting it on isn't sufficient. You need to either put together a vacuum clamp or make up some cauls and use really heavy duty bar clamps set as close together as you can fit them.

Jish1969

Familiar Face
That's a nice set Fortworthgal! We picked up a three drawer dresser recently and moved into a bigger place so I will have to take some pics of the complete set soon. I also found another footboard for our bed and its the same color as the headboard. I don't want to separate the original set but the "new" one is so nice after a quick stain and some Old English. I will post a pic of that later today and hopefully you guys can help me decide!

Dan Rodemsky

One of the Regulars
I learn so much from the Lounge! Before this thread I had never heard of waterfall furniture. I had visions of a jungle themed room. I love this stuff.

Jish1969

Familiar Face
Here are the pics of the setup in the new place, with the new dresser and nightstand to boot. The entire set only ran about 250 bucks, but it took more than two years of thrifting to piece together! Now I have the dilemma of which footboard to go with since I found one at a Salvo for 4 bucks!b It was pretty beat up but cleaned up great with some new stain, a little glue, and some Old English. I definitely like the new one, but I have problems separating the original set. Am I crazy to think that way?
Ourdecobedroom001.jpg
[/IMG]
Ourdecobedroom002.jpg
[/IMG]
The wife's war paint has nearly outgrown an entire vanity!
Ourdecobedroom003.jpg
[/IMG]
Ourdecobedroom004.jpg
[/IMG]
Ourdecobedroom005.jpg
[/IMG]
The "new" footboard is the exact same color, its just in a different light, but the bottom has such great detail!
Ourdecobedroom006.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21