Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Waterproof an Akubra

dman535

New in Town
As we have been in the midst of a monsoon here in Michigan, I have been wearing my Akubra. The thing got soaked yesterday and is still drying. I was going to hit it with some fabric waterproofing spray. Anyone think of a reason not to do it?

Derek A.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Ken...you should be able to pick up Scout products in any western wear store near you. I've never been in one that didn't carry Scouts...or something similar.:D

RBH

Bartender
Colby Jack said:
Ken...you should be able to pick up Scout products in any western wear store near you. I've never been in one that didn't carry Scouts...or something similar.:D
True... I get it at a western store here close to home. I also use the Scouts Felt Hat Stiffner... moreso on straws than on felts.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Can't yet vouch for Scout's, but may have to hunt up a western store and try that because I can't seen to locate a local source (Atlanta) for Scotchguard anymore. Scotchguard is fine - have used that on almost all the felt hats I have, doesn't change appearance or stiffness or texture or leave any residue unless you were to spray a wildly immoderate amount on. It soaks in and the only change is that the felt repels water better. Considerably so.

Doesn't have to be reapplied frequently either, despite what they might say on the can. Do go light on each application and use maybe 3 or 4 applications, with drying time in between, and you are totally done. Probably forever.

- Bill

Spats McGee

One Too Many
My question is this: Does Scotchguarding or otherwise waterproofing the hats have any effect on the felt in terms of reshaping them? Or does steam still work just fine?

RBH

Bartender
Serial Hero said:
Which type of Scotchgard works best on hats, as there are several different types (see link)?

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Scotchgard/Home/Applications/Apparel/Do-It-Yourself/

The site also has a little printable coupon so you can save a buck.
I use this one .... Scotchgard™ Fabric & Upholstery Protector

Spats McGee said:
My question is this: Does Scotchguarding or otherwise waterproofing the hats have any effect on the felt in terms of reshaping them? Or does steam still work just fine?

I have found it does not have any effect. However, I do not steam, I just use a spray bottle and wet the area I am working with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21