Waterproof an Akubra

Discussion in 'Hats' started by dman535, Sep 14, 2008.

1. dman535

dman535 New in Town

As we have been in the midst of a monsoon here in Michigan, I have been wearing my Akubra. The thing got soaked yesterday and is still drying. I was going to hit it with some fabric waterproofing spray. Anyone think of a reason not to do it?

Derek A.

2. RBH

RBH Bartender

No... I use it all the time.
    I prefer the SCOUTS RAIN AND STAIN.. but I use and have used scotchgard spray.

3. johnnycanuck

johnnycanuck Call Me a Cab

I second the Scotchguard.

4. Boxerken

Boxerken One of the Regulars

RBH did you pick that up online or at a local store?

5. Colby Jack

Colby Jack Call Me a Cab

Ken...you should be able to pick up Scout products in any western wear store near you. I've never been in one that didn't carry Scouts...or something similar.:D

6. RBH

RBH Bartender

True... I get it at a western store here close to home. I also use the Scouts Felt Hat Stiffner... moreso on straws than on felts.

7. carter

carter I'll Lock Up

Think mist

Both Scout's products are fine used in moderation. Neither is like spray paint or glue.

8. Naphtali

Naphtali Practically Family

Please identify advantages you perceive of Scout versus Scotchguard.

9. RBH

RBH Bartender

No real advantage that I know of. just that SCOUTS is made for the specific use on a hat.
    I use both with equal success.

10. Woodfluter

Woodfluter Practically Family

Can't yet vouch for Scout's, but may have to hunt up a western store and try that because I can't seen to locate a local source (Atlanta) for Scotchguard anymore. Scotchguard is fine - have used that on almost all the felt hats I have, doesn't change appearance or stiffness or texture or leave any residue unless you were to spray a wildly immoderate amount on. It soaks in and the only change is that the felt repels water better. Considerably so.

Doesn't have to be reapplied frequently either, despite what they might say on the can. Do go light on each application and use maybe 3 or 4 applications, with drying time in between, and you are totally done. Probably forever.

- Bill

11. Serial Hero

Serial Hero A-List Customer

12. Spats McGee

Spats McGee One Too Many

My question is this: Does Scotchguarding or otherwise waterproofing the hats have any effect on the felt in terms of reshaping them? Or does steam still work just fine?

13. RBH

RBH Bartender

I use this one .... Scotchgard™ Fabric & Upholstery Protector

I have found it does not have any effect. However, I do not steam, I just use a spray bottle and wet the area I am working with.