Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wave clips?

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Do we have any threads on how to use wave clips like these? I just won a lot of 25.
DSC01295.JPG

zombi

A-List Customer
It appears that these are the same type as I have -- which you can purchase from Sally's, for the curious -- I thought someone had done a cute picture thing using them. I'll see if I can find it.

Blondie

Practically Family
Yep, i want to know how to get the best results with wave clips too !
After seeing Amy Jeannes hair do that she did with these i am all inspired:)

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I use these every night. They are easy to use. Just fingerwave your wet hair, squeeze a bit between your fingers to make a ridge, then clip where the ridge is. It doesn't have to be a large or prominent ridge -- just enough to "mark" your hair. Put the wave clip on that ridge, but don't open it too wide and grab a lot of hair. Grab "just enough" hair. Mold the next wave -- and so on.

I only do my front bang -- I mold the waves then clip them in place, then I sleep with the clips in my hair. Brush out fully in the morning. here's my hair today::

20444_281809214163_624014163_3406121_1467069_n.jpg

Here's how it looks at night when I set it:

20444_274185669163_624014163_3375351_5245838_n.jpg

And here is a REALLY GOOD SET, but I never posted in here cuz I have no makeup on and I'm wearing my sexy Urge Overkill t-shirt:

20444_276975259163_624014163_3385123_3843692_n.jpg

Literally -- it takes 5 minutes to do and I seriously don't know how or why I was getting it wrong in the past!!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I've been practicing more, but seeing your set showed me what I've been doing wrong. My waves are exaggerated so that it comes to a U in the middle of my forehead. Thanks for the pics!

Blondie

Practically Family
Amy Jeanne, your hair is simply fabulous !
Just a few quick questions,
how do you sleep with those ?
Do they fall out during the night ?
Do you wear a net or anything to keep them from falling out ?
How many do you use and what do you do with the back of your hair ?
Thanks !!!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Blondie said:
Amy Jeanne, your hair is simply fabulous !
Just a few quick questions,
how do you sleep with those ?
Do they fall out during the night ?
Do you wear a net or anything to keep them from falling out ?
How many do you use and what do you do with the back of your hair ?
Thanks !!!

Thanks!

I sleep with them on my head!! lol. Really, Just like you see in the photo. They don't fall out because I lay on my right side and the clips are on my left. I don't put any net or cap on. I used to, but THAT would fall off and get twisted so i just let it air out naturally!

I used 3 or 4 clips on my left front bang - depending on how close I managed to get them. Today's set wasn't so great as I only have one Veronica Lake mini-wave! It's all about sculpting your hair into the shape and clipping it. Brushing out is important and it won't "ruin" them (as I heard some gals are afraid to do!) If it's completely dry it will look fabulous.

The back i pincurl. Those pincurls that are at my ear in the photo above go all the way around my head. I do pincurls low so they don't get all complicated and clash into my fingerwaves!!

DaisieWilde

Familiar Face
Amy Jeanne, I LOVE your style. You are the cutest! I'm inspired to try some waves...looksl ike I'm on the hunt for wave clips!

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Though I still have a heckuva time wrangling my hair into the waves of my imagination, these clips have really helped me experiment. Amy Jeanne's photos are a nice reference too.
This is from a couple weeks ago; today I made smaller waves, but didn't take a photo.
I've got a few vintage (Made in USA) clips that are pretty small. You can get different lengths at Sally.

momentumprepFeb2010003.jpg
[/IMG]

DaisieWilde

Familiar Face
I can't find them on Sally Beauty's website. Maybe I'm searching wrong or completely missing it. I searched "wave clips" and just "clips."

Must. Have! :D

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
That's weird. Of course, I just went to the store and got them. Funny how they're not on the site. If worse comes to worse, I'm sure a lounger would be more than happy to pick some up and mail to you. I wouldn't mind.
I notice too, when googling wave clips, they come up as a lot more pricey than in the shop.
Now I can't remember exactly what I paid, but it was most definitely less than $5 each for a card of 6 clips.

eta: Not Sally, but here's an online place that offers them: http://www.hairproducts.com/view_product.php?product=ACC-LUX109&fg

DaisieWilde

Familiar Face
ThesFlishThngs said:
That's weird. Of course, I just went to the store and got them. Funny how they're not on the site. If worse comes to worse, I'm sure a lounger would be more than happy to pick some up and mail to you. I wouldn't mind.
I notice too, when googling wave clips, they come up as a lot more pricey than in the shop.
Now I can't remember exactly what I paid, but it was most definitely less than $5 each for a card of 6 clips.

eta: Not Sally, but here's an online place that offers them: http://www.hairproducts.com/view_product.php?product=ACC-LUX109&fg

Well I'm glad someone verified that they couldn't find them either on the website. I was sure someone would end up posting a link on sallybeauty.com ha ha. I tend to miss things sometimes. I do have a beauty supply store, not a Sally's, but I was thinking of checking down there. I think there is a Sally's over the mountain...I usually order online because the cost of gas ends up more than shipping :)

Thanks for the link!

What sizes do you recommend?

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
I'm happy with a set of 4" and a set of 3". The longest ones are best for getting a nice wide wave up top, and the shorter ones are handy down lower, when your ear starts getting in the way.
Let's see what other wavers have to say.

appy

Familiar Face
Amy Jeanne said:
I use these every night. They are easy to use. Just fingerwave your wet hair, squeeze a bit between your fingers to make a ridge, then clip where the ridge is. It doesn't have to be a large or prominent ridge -- just enough to "mark" your hair. Put the wave clip on that ridge, but don't open it too wide and grab a lot of hair. Grab "just enough" hair. Mold the next wave -- and so on.

I only do my front bang -- I mold the waves then clip them in place, then I sleep with the clips in my hair. Brush out fully in the morning. here's my hair today::

20444_281809214163_624014163_3406121_1467069_n.jpg

Here's how it looks at night when I set it:

20444_274185669163_624014163_3375351_5245838_n.jpg

And here is a REALLY GOOD SET, but I never posted in here cuz I have no makeup on and I'm wearing my sexy Urge Overkill t-shirt:

20444_276975259163_624014163_3385123_3843692_n.jpg

Literally -- it takes 5 minutes to do and I seriously don't know how or why I was getting it wrong in the past!!

WONDERFUL! It looks so easy, which is a good thing for someone like me, who has ZERO hair talent. lol I want to get some of these now... :D

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I have a large vintage set of these that I bought a couple of years ago. I've used them maybe once and I got a decent wave, but my hair is just SO thick that it seems like it waves only the top layer and not the underneath layers, and it hangs funny. Perhaps I need to try it a few more times to really get the hang of it. One of the key things I found to making the waves come out right with these clips is to *not* use the clip itself to create the wave. If you do that, you'll end up with just a weird sharp ridge. You have to make the fingerwave, then just use the clip to hold it in place.

Amy Jeanne your hair looks fantastic and that set looks so easy! You are an inspiration to hair novices such as myself! lol

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
DaisieWilde said:
I can't find them on Sally Beauty's website. Maybe I'm searching wrong or completely missing it. I searched "wave clips" and just "clips."

Must. Have! :D

I meant to post this earlier, but Sally's has them listed as wave clamps, not clips, of all the stupid things. I did find them on the website after a bit of frustration. I'm dying to try them... would they work on long hair, or would it just look dumb to wave the front top sections only?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails