Waxed cotton canvas trucker jacket help

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by barnabus, Mar 22, 2017.

1. barnabus

barnabus Practically Family

As title, I need a waxed cotton canvas trucker jacket, I've decided. I've been searching around the whole internet and found some possibles, from:

Gustin (but out of stock of course) -

[​IMG]

Iron & Resin (Rambler jacket and Lined Scout Jacket) -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and Taylor Stitch (Long Haul Jacket)

[​IMG]

You get the idea.

Except I've no experience of any of these, they're all just pictures on the internet to me. Does anyone have any of the above, or any hands-on knowledge of them? Or are there other alternatives i should be looking at? I expected Levi's to be an obvious choice, but waxed cotton doesn't seem to be in the current line up.

I don't need anything extravagant or artisanal, just a straightforward type III type trucker, in waxed cotton canvas and an earthy tone like brown or tan, or even olive or possibly black.

Help me out here please!

2. casechopper

casechopper My Mail is Forwarded Here

I don't have any waxed canvas stuff but I have seen where some have bought jackets and waxed them using otter wax and other wax products. It might be something to look into if that's something you're going for. A cheap duck levi's jacket and a bar of wax wouldn't cost too much. Are you wanting a waxed canvas jacket for the water resistance? Or just for the look?

barnabus likes this.
  3. BoxerguyT89

BoxerguyT89 New in Town

Filson makes a good one. I have not owned the lined version but the unlined one that I had was tough as nails.

Guppy and barnabus like this.
  4. barnabus

For the water resistance. I have a regular denim trucker and a borg-lined version too. But here in the UK I tend to live in waxed cotton because of three seasons-worth of changeable weather. I usually wear a Barbour, but I'd like something trucker style without sacrificing the weather versatility.

5. barnabus

That Filson looks good, but man is that expensive for what it is!

6. Superfluous

Superfluous My Mail is Forwarded Here

That Taylor & Stitch jacket is crap -- unlined and flimsy -- I sent it back.

I really like the Rogue Territory Supply Jacket in waxed canvas:

[​IMG]

RT offers it in tan (above), gray and black waxed canvas (also in unwaxed denim) -- unlined and blanket lined. I own the blanket lined black waxed canvas version. Its a great jacket. I may pick-up a tan version.

I handled a few Freenote jackets at Inspiration and was really impressed with their quality. Freenote makes the following tan waxed canvas Riders Jacket:

[​IMG]

Lastly, I own this tan waxed canvas coat from The West is Dead (I don't think it is what you are looking for, and I don't know if it is still available):

[​IMG]

Michael A and barnabus like this.
  7. BoxerguyT89

BoxerguyT89 New in Town

Yea, I looked for the unlined version on their site but it doesn't seem to be there anymore. I believe it was $240 when I got mine years ago. It did a pretty good job or repelling water.

I have a couple of pictures of mine from when I had it. Here and here

8. Fanch

Fanch I'll Lock Up

I am very partial to my Filson Levi's trucker jacket, now discontinued but can be found on eBay, sometimes at a reasonable price. :rolleyes:

9. BoxerguyT89

BoxerguyT89 New in Town

"Reasonable"

That is one of my favorite jackets!

10. barnabus

Good intel! Thanks.

That doesn't grab me so much unfortunately - i think the pocket styling is a bit too characterful for my taste.

This Freenote looks fantastic, but it's even more expensive than the Filson!

I think you posted a picture of that before? I like it a lot with those toggles, but you're right it's not what I'm looking for this time.

11. barnabus

That looks pretty nice (good boots too -what are they?)

12. BoxerguyT89

BoxerguyT89 New in Town

Thanks man, they are Red Wing 8146s

13. OneEyeMan

OneEyeMan Practically Family

I've got the Gustin and it's really nice. Not too heavy, and not too light.
    Very nice for the price.
    Sorry, that doesn't help as they're not making them any more.
    There's always the chance that it might be available on eBay eventually.
    My suggestion, as previously stated, find a jacket you like, and buy a can or 2 of Filson wax and go to town.

14. Fonzie

Fonzie Practically Family

If they make the Gustin one again is a good and reasonably price option.
    I have the green one and love it, it's very practical and well made. It runs a little large in my opinion, I normally wear medium and the small fits spot on. I'll get a pic if you want.

15. BoxerguyT89

BoxerguyT89 New in Town

Sometimes Gustin has extra "stock" on hand. I was able to get a pair of their 23oz denim months after the campaign closed by contacting them and asking if they had any.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

16. ProteinNerd

ProteinNerd My Mail is Forwarded Here

I have the original Gustin unlined jacket. I really like it. They do them every few months so just go to the website and register to be alerted when the they do.

They have 2 versions (I have the original) and now do lined and unlined so there are a few options BUT not only do you have to wait till they redo them but then you have to wait till it's made.....I guess it depends how urgently you need it.

It's a great jacket through, glad I got mine. The only thing to be aware of is the sleeves aren't long by any means. I have regular length arms and they are only just long enough for me.

17. l0fielectronic

l0fielectronic Practically Family

I had the Gustin unlined one, but the fit just didn't work for me so sold it (it was the boxy cut and the sleeve legnth).

I then had a lightly lined Filson one, the fit on that worked well for me, but a jacket that lightweight I found it wasn't really practical here in the UK, at least for me. If its cool you need something slightly more substantial to keep the cold out, and if its warm you want something that breathes a little as that was a little like wearing a plastic bag in the heat.

18. Fonzie

Here's the second version of the Gustin waxed trucker, I think they changed the dimmensions and added a couple of details to the green one. It's becoming my go to jacket. They normally bring it ack to production every few months as Proteinnerd said.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Fonzie

*bring it back, not ack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Fanch

Fanch I'll Lock Up

Here is a picture of my Filson Levi's trucker jacket in XL size with:
    P2P 24"
    Back 27"
    Sleeves 27"

As you can see it is a bit longer in the body and sleeves than the current Filson short waxed trucker jacket that I bought on sale at 50% off in black XL awhile back but returned as the 26" sleeves were too short for me. I wish I had bought a black Filson Levi's trucker during their very short run before it was discontinued. I think the Filson - Levi's contract went up in smoke for whatever reason, which is a crying shame. :(

FILSON LEVI TRUCKER JACKET.jpg