Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

We need a name for a hat style

Aerol

A-List Customer
This past winter I saw many more men wearing hats on the streets of Chicago. However, for the most part they weren't fedoras. They were these outdoorsy LLBean/Orvis/Stetson Gun Club type hats. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

Well, what are they? Are they fedoras? Are they cowboy hats? Are they something else entirely?

What should we call them?

Dreispitz

One Too Many
How about:

contemporary transitional mainstream

or

modern ecleticism

or

The Lost Generation lol

You mean like the 3 Forks or Moose Creek hats by LLBean & Cabelas? Those are a fedora or even a trilby since the brims are about 2 1/2" and under.
Other hats they sell, I consider outback style, like the Stetson crushers.

OddSteve

Familiar Face
Hats like these are quite popular in Germany too, especially in fall and winter.
People wear them with suits as well as casual clothes, but almost exclusively black ones.

rrog

A-List Customer
I was at Arby's getting a bite to eat yesterday and had my hat complimented by a guy wearing a hat of his own. He asked me what kind my was, so I told him it was a Stetson Fargo. When I asked what kind he was wearing, he took it off, flattened it and said it was a "crushable." He got it at Bass Pro. No mention of style or brand, just "crushable." So I dunno.

rrog

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
From the examples I've seen, I refer to that style as an Outback style fedora. It's like the hat John Popper of Blues Traveller used to wear. I think he helped sell a lot of hats that looked like that. How about a "Popper"?

Here he is eating a 'tin sandwich'

Popper.jpg

I go for "casual fedora's"

Aerol said:
This past winter I saw many more men wearing hats on the streets of Chicago. However, for the most part they weren't fedoras. They were these outdoorsy LLBean/Orvis/Stetson Gun Club type hats. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

Well, what are they? Are they fedoras? Are they cowboy hats? Are they something else entirely?

What should we call them?

Let's be honest, to the average joe schmo on the street, fur is fur, straw is straw, the only thing that really differentiates a cowboy hat and a fedora is brim width and band treatment (even then, a lot of people will always call a full brim hat a cowboy hat)

a lot of people may hate me for this comment, but I kind of categorize a lot of hats in the "casual fedora" category. this includes the hats mentioned above as well as the "thin ribbons" generally anything I wouldn't wear with a suit (though I'm sure this comment will be challenged)

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I vote for referring to them as "down vest" hats. A guy who owns the type of hat in question just seems like the kind of guy who wears a down vest - which is neither here nor there.

I really want one of those Cabella's hats. But sadly, I'm a bit on the thrifty side. My grandpa wears one with a much larger brim when he's not sporting a fedora, so usually for lawn chores, etc. Around these parts, they're referred to as "Fred Bear Hats" Even though it doesn't really look like his famous lid to me.

zof17_b.jpg

AtomicEraTom said:
I really want one of those Cabella's hats. But sadly, I'm a bit on the thrifty side. My grandpa wears one with a much larger brim when he's not sporting a fedora, so usually for lawn chores, etc. Around these parts, they're referred to as "Fred Bear Hats" Even though it doesn't really look like his famous lid to me.

Fred Bear, is he of the bear branded bow and arrow fame?

rrog

A-List Customer
RobFedoraField said:
but I kind of categorize a lot of hats in the "casual fedora" category. this includes the hats mentioned above as well as the "thin ribbons" generally anything I wouldn't wear with a suit (though I'm sure this comment will be challenged)

I like the "casual fedora" moniker. But in this day of hip-hop abreviations (J-Lo, P-Diddy, etc.), how about just calling them the C-Fed?

lol

rrog

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
Nah, C-Fed might get confused with Federations that have been bashed in a certain way. Better just call them casual 'Doras.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy