Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

We need bigger caps

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
I say the "normal" style of flat caps should be what they made in the 1910s to 1940s. The smaller sandwich or flat caps came around in the 50s and we've never recovered.

The "Big Apple" caps are close; however, they don't make a one piece cap that looks as good as the ones we see in photos! They only make the 8 panels... which are good and look nice but, something about the one pieces that just say something! Not sure what it is they say, but they say it boy howdy!

=R

Feraud

Bartender
A salesman at Arnold Hatters in NYC mentioned to me how they no longer carry the Hanna 8 panel caps. There is little market for the full 8 panel cap I prefer. The demand today is for fitted flat caps which Arnold has in stock.

I am not sure what the status is of 8 panel caps at other NYC hat shops.

mike

Call Me a Cab
I've been on a long term hunt for vintage looking caps.

Peterman's Jonathan Richard caps (tweed and linen) aren't bad. They aren't perfect, but through peterman's ebay store you can pick em up for cheap when they come up!

I'd like something like this, maybe a bit more bulky...
stokes.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
That is a great cap. Used that photo for an album cover my old man shot.
cd-fb.jpg

Here's a vintage flat, not eight panel cap. Quite large.

IMG_4270.jpg

IMG_4279.jpg

Borsalino? Qualita Extra Superiore Firenze Italia Made expressly for Knickerbocker Shop 956 Market St. San Francisco
IMG_4276.jpg

internetgamble

New in Town
big flat cap

I've been looking for ages for that large single panel cap that you see in so many old photographs from 1920's until up to the 50's - I hate those stingy little caps that seem to be the norm now. I do have a large single panel cap but it is actually too big and the material its made from is too thin and cheap so that it falls down too much. It needs to be a nice heavy good quality harris tweed or similar with a good strong lining or interlining.
Every time this thread comes up we get the same references to the 8 panel caps - they just aint the same. And I've owned a B-Wear cap and it doesn't bear any resemblance to the older style cap, which needs to be single panel and not so floppy.
Will anyone ever make them again??!! They do look pretty cool to me.

Subvet642

A-List Customer
internetgamble said:
I've been looking for ages for that large single panel cap that you see in so many old photographs from 1920's until up to the 50's - I hate those stingy little caps that seem to be the norm now. I do have a large single panel cap but it is actually too big and the material its made from is too thin and cheap so that it falls down too much. It needs to be a nice heavy good quality harris tweed or similar with a good strong lining or interlining.
Every time this thread comes up we get the same references to the 8 panel caps - they just aint the same. And I've owned a B-Wear cap and it doesn't bear any resemblance to the older style cap, which needs to be single panel and not so floppy.
Will anyone ever make them again??!! They do look pretty cool to me.

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I wear a grey one almost every day, because I have to change into "work clothes" at work, and I wouldn't want to have to jam a fedora into my locker, it simply wouldn't fit. The wool is a nice, thick Harris tweed and the cap is fully lined. Up here in Boston we have always called all such caps "Scally Caps", I don't know why. This would include (I believe): Ivys, Newsboys and other 1 panel caps. I hope this helps!

Check this out:http://bencrafthats.com/product.php?pid=269&subcname=Flat+Caps

mike

Call Me a Cab
Dinerman said:
That is a great cap. Used that photo for an album cover my old man shot.
cd-fb.jpg

Here's a vintage flat, not eight panel cap. Quite large.

IMG_4270.jpg

IMG_4279.jpg

Borsalino? Qualita Extra Superiore Firenze Italia Made expressly for Knickerbocker Shop 956 Market St. San Francisco
IMG_4276.jpg

Dinerman! I didn't see these pictures before! (my work computer blocks a lot of linked images) WOW! The original cap is great, can we see pictures of it on? Your dad played on that album? A collection of Frank Stokes covers?!?! Do tell! :)

internetgamble

New in Town
nearly there

mike said:
Dinerman! I didn't see these pictures before! (my work computer blocks a lot of linked images) WOW! The original cap is great, can we see pictures of it on? Your dad played on that album? A collection of Frank Stokes covers?!?! Do tell! :)

That's about the closest I've seen to shape - I believe that Ralph Lauren also produced something a couple of years back.
Still looking........

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Good thoughts, Matt Deckard!
Agreed, Mr. Scottrace! We need more big caps.

I think these are the kind we have in mind (pardon the lighting and scary face, it's late and close to Hallowe'en...)

Exhibit 1: Made in Scotland, nice Harris tweed fabric, no maker indicated, bought in small shop specializing in Scottish goods.

Exhibit 2: Payne Stewart (rest his soul) linen golf cap, sold by J. Peterman but I suspect made by Jonathan Richard.

Both of these seem to be around 11 inches in diameter.

Mike & Dinerman, you guys rock! From a guitar player and fan of Frank Stokes and other bluesmen of that era.

- Bill

carter

I'll Lock Up
Good Film - Great Caps

I just watched a film about an Irishman fighting against the fascists during the Spanish Civil War. The name of the film is Land and Freedom (1995). The costume designer in the UK was Daphne Dare. This film has some great shots of caps and berets. Some of the caps are quite large and have wide brims that extend to the temple of the wearer. The light color cap worn by Ian Hart in the image below is wide but not the widest shown in the film.

I'm wondering if anyone from either the UK or Spain has seen this film and/or can identify the manufacturer(s) of any of the caps in the film.

519SR7E3J8L._SS500_.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
mike said:

He did the album cover; the photography. I can't remember if the hat on the cover is one of mine or one that belonged to the musicians. I know he shot versions with both.

Unfortunately the cap, the original one, is probably in the 6-3/4 size range, seller somehow drastically mis-measured, but I got it on the cheap, and it would have cost more to return it than to keep it. Do they still make caps with the top pleated this way to give it body while retaining a one piece top?

I have another '30s one, an 8 panel, also tiny. I'll see if I can dig up my photos of it as well.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Johnny that's my cap and I think it has just the right amount of size. I cock it to to the right side so it drapes over just a little. I wouldn't want any more drape than that.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou