Wearing leather jackets in the rain

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by jonbuilder, Apr 6, 2021 at 1:51 PM.

1. jonbuilder

jonbuilder Call Me a Cab

Do you have specific jackets in your collection you go o for rain or snow days. I would think leather is fine in the rain if the jacket is dried properly. I did wear a 50s long leather jacket on an hour and a half walk during heavy rain and later that day was at an outdoor wake all afternoon in constant light rain. The die bleed through to the lining and it took a couple of weeks to dry the jacket. If I know I will be in rain for an extended time I grab my Haelson made of quality steer hide. Never any issue bleed through nor do I get wet through the jacket. Must be something in the way the leather was tanned. Also, the leather is in excellent condition never needs conditioning.

1D28BB8F-DEFB-4194-92EE-4BCE7171CC0E_1_105_c.jpeg

2. El Marro

El Marro Call Me a Cab

My LW CHP is and absolute beast in the rain. I wore it out for a three mile walk last year during a steady downpour and I arrived home dry as a bone!

navetsea, roadking04, Jin431 and 5 others like this.
  3. Khilij

Khilij New in Town

I've had good success wearing my Vanson Chopper in the rain. The Competition Weight cowhide has never let me down so far. Haven't tried it in a huge downpour though as it's my first jacket and I don't want to risk damaging it too much, and I wear glasses so wearing a raincoat with a hood is preferable if I have the option. If I was caught in heavy rain I don't think i would be too worried though.

4. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 My Mail is Forwarded Here

I've done it a lot in heavier, newer Steer & horsehide jackets. Tomorrow and the day after look like good, rainy days in Iowa, so I'll try the Vicenza Ridley in the rain for a period of time, to see if that helps crease up a few areas more.

Generally speaking, I do wear them in the rain, then wear them in the house as they dry off. Preferably keeping them on till completely dried of the water.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021 at 2:09 PM
    navetsea, roadking04, Jin431 and 2 others like this.
  5. dudewuttheheck

dudewuttheheck Call Me a Cab

At this point, I do not even think about which jacket I am wearing in the rain. I just wear any of my leather jackets in the rain and they usually end up better for it.

navetsea, roadking04, Jin431 and 4 others like this.
  6. Peter Bowden

Peter Bowden Practically Family

I don't have a specific leather jacket for wet conditions but I find that rain just bounces off Horween Chromeexcel horse hide and steer hide.I hang them to dry in a breeze and never noticed any spotting etc....Not sure if it makes the leather more supple though

7. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

if I just walk across parking lot, or get my jacket wet momentarily I don't mine which one, I prefer my natural one since I want to "patina" it more than the others who leave very little trace of being rained on.

Jin431 likes this.
  8. moktabe

moktabe New in Town

Interesting to read the comments on this as have always tried to avoid getting any of mine wet.
    No logical reason I suppose and I might change my mind and not worry so much about it.

9. JMax

JMax I'll Lock Up

After riding in south Florida rains for years, LW is the best for this type of duty. No doubt. Vanson CW ain’t shabby either.

navetsea, roadking04, Jin431 and 5 others like this.
  10. Monitor

Monitor

Don't wear my leather jackets in the rain. I know nothing's going to happen to them but can't wear them damp the next day so I don't want either out of commission, just 'cause I was careless.

navetsea and Jin431 like this.
  11. Peacoat

Peacoat Bartender Bartender

I wear everything in the rain with no problems except my Schott naked leather CR. It shrinks. Don't need for it to shrink anymore.

12. Tom71

Tom71 Practically Family

I wear all my jackets in the rain, except for my Himel "Imperial". I like the oil-tan so much as it is that I want to delay aging as best as I can.
    If it rains really hard, I will go for Horweens heavy CXL stuff, Vanson CW or Lost World´s horse.

dudewuttheheck and navetsea like this.
  13. jonbuilder

jonbuilder Call Me a Cab

interesting comments. Summing up it appears the majority of responders do not give wearing leather jackets in the rain a second throught. I agree Chrome tanned CXL sheds rain well

14. Superfluous

Superfluous My Mail is Forwarded Here

I guess I am the contrarian, but . . .

[​IMG]

I'm not saying its wrong or harmful, but leather and rain do not mix in my personal regime.

15. I wear my leather jackets in all kinds of cool/cold and snowy weather. However, I don't walk far outside in pouring rain. Usually just from the house to car or car to store. I have no desire to hike around on a rainy day.

16. Mich486

Mich486 One Too Many

Unless I get caught accidentally in the rain I just open my umbrella. Don’t know why but seems dumb to me to purposefully walk in the rain.

Jin431, Herresbach, navetsea and 2 others like this.
  17. Aerielle Max

Aerielle Max Familiar Face

With the vaccines rolling out, I can finally try that out. COVID still scares me.

18. dubpynchon

dubpynchon Practically Family

I have a Cheyenne I tend to wear if it's raining, although if it is I use an umbrella, I don't like getting soaked, especially with the lack of natural insulation on my head. Rain is great for breaking in stiff leather boots though, I have a pair of William Lennons I need to wear the next time it's raining to save myself foot ache.

19. ton312

ton312

The only thing I wouldn’t wear in the rain is suede or rough out. That said, if it’s warm enough to be raining I’m more than likely wearing a Texas tux.

dudewuttheheck, navetsea and Jin431 like this.
  20. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

depending where you live of course, but leather will dry from water quite fast when worn, water actually pooling down toward the hem and cuff pretty fast, faster than jeans.
    upper part of the jacket will dry very fast, so if you wear it unzipped, and just walk or ride with the hem of your jacket blown by the wind, it will dry very fast, unless your liner is quilted and soaked... then it will take eternity probably.

Jin431 and Tom71 like this.