Wearing leather jackets in the rain

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by jonbuilder, Apr 6, 2021.

1. jadub

jadub One of the Regulars

Should veg tan and chrome tan be thought of differently with regards to getting wet? I’m typically comfortable wearing jackets in the rain. But maybe the Vincenza HWM I just got should be cared for differently?

2. jdbenson

jdbenson One of the Regulars

I'm guessing the quality of the leather and tanning will be the thing to worry about.

My only leather jacket is my trustee Banana Republic bomber. It's a civilian version of an A-1. I bought it back in 1989, from a BR store in Sacramento CA for about $350. Not sure if it's horse or steer hide, but I'm betting it's steer. I've conditioned the leather exactly once, in about 1993 or '94 when that jacket became my default winter coat and we were expecting snow. Other than that, it's been worn in all weather without issue. I've had to have it relined three times, so you know I've worn it quite a bit. Never had an issue with the leather unduly absorbing water, it never feels like a wet sponge. When I get in out of the rain, I simply towel it off and hang it to dry; within 24 hrs it's fine.

3. jadub

jadub One of the Regulars

Sounds like you got a keeper right out of the gate. Congrats!