Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing vintage pieces without looking too dated?

Thunderbolt

One of the Regulars
Stop dresing vintage and start dressing classic

Dress classic as opposed to vintange. That's my advice and it's what I do. I don't own any vintage clothes. Everything I have is no older than 6 or 7 years old. The key is to not look dated, but not in vogue either. Have newer clothes that are "timeless". Things that are timeless have been around for a good 50 years but don't seem to be leaving. For example, the polo shirt in solid non bright colors. Converse Chuck Taylors, black Oxford dress shoes, and dark gray/black/off white single breasted jackets are all examples of things that have been around since the 1920's that are still here. Dress like James Bond. That's a great example of timelessness. Bond always had a classic look that never looked dated (exept for Roger Moore's Safari suits with bell bottom tuxes.) I do a lot of my shoping at men's department stores, Eddie Bauer, JC Penny and Macy's. I won't be caught dead at hot topic or wearing Tap Out gear with a ball cap with a sticker still on it.

Thunderbolt

One of the Regulars
Miss Dizzy Dame said:
I have gotten this question too,and I always look at them blankly and say no this is just me.. and they smile and say "well I love it"!

Also, some people are genuinely curious, not meaning to be insulting. But then again some are insulting, epecially around alcohol.

Chas

One Too Many
@Maximiliani:

There are two issues at play here, judging from your post. One, you haven't found the look you like. That can take some time. I suggest you get your mitts on old photographs and catalogs to check out what people actually wore, rather than what you have been exposed to thus far. What you will find will probably surprise you. There were as many different looks then as there are now. Trial and error, no biggie; it's the journey, not the destination.

Now - as far as your friends giving you static....

Either your friends will get accustomed to your mode of dress or you may have to fire some of them. I believe that if living/wearing vintage speaks to you personally, rather than a "phase", then you have some choices to make.
Either grow a THICK skin or tell the odd one to go f*ck themselves if they don't dig the way you deck yourself out. That usually works. If that sounds a bit extreme, then consider that if they are that offended, they were pretty superficial to begin with and probably aren't worth the sweat off of your back.

Speaking from experience, how you carry yourself will win out over outward appearances. I work in a very conservative setting (hospital) in a homogenous town (Vancouver), and it took some time, but I honestly believe that my coworkers and friends don't even notice any more, or much less comment.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how you dress if you carry yourself like a man. I just happen to believe you will probably look better doing it vintage. Fini.

Tiller

Practically Family
I've learned as time has gone by that I care less about what people think then most. It is ironic though since when my friends and I started dressing like this back in 03-04, it had alot to do with a bunch of kids that we didn't like dressing hippieish (if that's even a word lol). So we decided hell we can dress up to, but went the other way with it. So to an extent I guess it was, because we cared at the time, although to me there was still a feeling of me somehow defending the pat and my depression era Grandparents in particular (I'm sure some psychologist would have fun with that lol).

The general advice is well said though, take your time with one piece at at time. For some people learning to wear a hat takes a lot to get used to (plus so many are afraid of that now classic zinger "look it's Indiana Jones"). For others wearing a suit, or leather soled shoes takes some time to get used to. Other get caught up on the whole "what to wear when" thing. For example although the general rule around here for some tends to be "the hell with the rules of old", I still wouldn't wear a top hat and tails to your next family BBQ. You don't need to be a hard ass about the old ways, but they still are a decent guide despite how some people can't stand them here ;).

As far as the vintage vs vintage inspired clothing question, I would say that most vintage clothing can be found at a cheaper price. Especially if you can find those people who generally don't care about Grandpa's old clothes, and don't know what they have ;). On the other hand vintage inspired clothing can cost you quite a pretty penny, especially if your getting customized tailored clothes, although there is something of a push towards our little community at times if you can find it. Some clothing stores have "vintage/classic" styles that they are pushing, or push depending on the fashion season. Just keep your eyes open and find out what works for you.

The biggest thing atleast in my humble opinion is confidence. The difference between someone who is in "costume" and someone who is just dressed, is their attitude. If you have a deer in headlight look on your face wherever you go, the weaker and rude aspects of society will smell blond in the water and try to get their jollies off. On the other hand if you act normal or even dare I say pleased about how you look, the insults are less coming, and you will probably even here a few people say "I wish I was brave enough to dress like that!"

Also don't change your personality just because you are dressing differently. If you start talking in a different voice, or start acting like a completely different persons your friends my call foul and give you some shit about that. If you are really changing as a person you may simply need to get other friends though if they refuse to except that [huh].

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Tiller said:
On the other hand if you act normal or even dare I say pleased about how you look, the insults are less coming, and you will probably even here a few people say "I wish I was brave enough to dress like that!"

I'd like to have a nickel for every time I've had someone say that exact phrase to me. And I always think "What braveness? I'm going into a cage full of lions or jumping off a bridge or joining the infantry or something? No, I'm putting my clothes on in the morning and going about my business. Got nothing to do with braveness, as far as I'm concerned -- but it's a terribly sad commentary on modern "do your own thing non-conformist be an individual" society that I'm supposed to be brave. Evidently the only non-conformity that's acceptable is the kind that conforms to the contemporary understanding of what non-conformity is supposed to be. Phooey.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy