Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing vintage pieces without looking too dated?

Bustercat

A-List Customer
It's all about finding a balance with what looks good. After all, you're trying to dress you, develop your own style. And dont' think the only way is dressing 100% correct for a certain era. While some people can make it work, many just wind up looking costumed. Mix old, new, but do it with taste and to suit you. Also read up here and elsewhere, as much as possible, you'll find something you like to latch onto and can go from there.

If you're a bit heavy, you might even want to look at some 60's/70's stuff that was inspired by earlier fashions: the slight bell to to the pants works better with rounder physiques than tapered legs, which can do a 'humpty dumpty' kind of thing to your body. It's easier to find in vintage stores, too.
Think 'cop movies' from that era, not wacky period clothes catalogues or even necessarily old photographs.
If it has an edge, you might not feel as self conscious or out of place.

And don't forget the shoes and a good haircut.
And don't be shy about telling the world or your buddies to mind their own business.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Good fit is really important if you're heavy. I don't know if men do this, but women sometimes buy clothes too small because they don't want to admit that they're really a larger size. I don't remember if you said you wear suits, but a suit can make you look 15 pounds lighter compared to a knit shirt.

Beyond that, you might have to experiment to see what suits you.

maximiliani

New in Town
A lot of people wouldn't call me heavy today at all, I've actually been called skinny, though I still think I got a lot of work to do. It's more a personal/mental thing than what is actually there.

But it IS all fit, I realized this weekend how awful fitting these pants I gotten for Christmas were on me and that's WHY I thought I looked bad. I'm an in-between waist size (35) so I can wear some cuts of 34 like in Jeans Levi 505 34's are perfect (higher waist too, better for vintage look), and others I have to resort to cuts of 36. It all depends on brand and cut since some 36's pants that I get are just HUGE on me while others are great. I used to get a whole lot more distraught due to size number, but I'm learning it's just a number and the disparity among brands is rather astounding. I sometimes like to wear my pants a little higher so usually if pants in a certain size that are modern cut (meant to be worn lower)and I'm able to hike them up to my waist or worse up below my ribcage and can cinch it with a belt, then they are just far too big. Certain pants it looks fine though and I get that vintage actor between takes.

I actually just invested some money in some nice Nautica khakis that were on sale at Macy's, they were a 36 waist but they are of a slimmer cut so they look great on me. If I can find a good fitted polo or a sweater to put over a white button down I'll be set!

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Mixing vintage and modern has several advantages.
1. You create you own style.
2. The single vintage items gets more attention - and so do you.
3. You do not look like somebody who lost his way to the filmstudio.
4. Wearing the right vintage items, at the right time, the right way - shows you are a man who knows.

But most importantly: Relax - it's only clothes.

Flyboy

New in Town
It's all in how you carry yourself. Look nervous and you'll look out-of-place. Strut around with confidence like you own the place and you will.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Don't worry about feeling out of place, strange, or insecure. Especially if you ar e in the early stages of collecting. You'll notice a "Dumbest thing I ever heard" thread here: keep in mind that even those of us who have been sporting this sort of look for a while still hear an annoying thing once in a while, but it stops being so bothersome. I wore the occasional fedora and suit-jacket in the 1990s and only started the daily suit-wearing in the 2000s. So it took years to ramp it up to the full affair. The longer you hang out on the Fedora Lounge reading the posts, the longer you look at old photos, the savvier you get collecting the clothes and accoutrements on eBay, and the more people you meet in person who are fond of this stuff, the more natural it will seem to you. If you ramp up the vintage slowly, it will eventually feel natural and people will perceive that and stop saying dumb stuff.

You can also learn from others who have been doing this longer: I was on the BART train two nights ago with Miss1929 from the Fedora Lounge and someone said to us, "are you guys just stepping out of a show [presumably he meant a play or stage revue] and you didn't change your clothes?" which could have turned into an annoying exchange, but Miss1929 smiled sweetly and said, "No, we just do this." And the exchange turned out to be pleasant. There are ways to deflect stupid comments into a mutually pleasant interaction. (If only I could learn more of them.)

Miss Dizzy Dame

Familiar Face
Doran said:
someone said to us, "are you guys just stepping out of a show [presumably he meant a play or stage revue] and you didn't change your clothes?" which could have turned into an annoying exchange, but Miss1929 smiled sweetly and said, "No, we just do this." And the exchange turned out to be pleasant. There are ways to deflect stupid comments into a mutually pleasant interaction. (If only I could learn more of them.)

I have gotten this question too,and I always look at them blankly and say no this is just me.. and they smile and say "well I love it"!

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
But so much of the Doran mystique is based off of your limited willingness to suffer fools. . . ;)

Doran said:
. . . There are ways to deflect stupid comments into a mutually pleasant interaction. If only I could learn more of them.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
Flyboy said:
It's all in how you carry yourself. Look nervous and you'll look out-of-place. Strut around with confidence like you own the place and you will.

I absolutely agree.

You asked what you are doing wrong. The only thing you are doing wrong is doubting yourself!

Humans have an inherent need to blend in, especially when younger. This is why it can be hard to do something different. I have been there, though now at 48 it's not an issue. In fact I like it ;)

MikeBravo

One Too Many
Miss Dizzy Dame said:
I have gotten this question too,and I always look at them blankly and say no this is just me.. and they smile and say "well I love it"!

I had a similar experience a while ago at a FL outing to the Art Deco exhibition in Melbourne

A nice older lady asked us if we were making a movie. I said "No, we're just making an effort"

She seemed very pleased with this reply

An advantage of these verbal exchanges is that someone may overhear it and say to themself "He's got a point, I should do the same" Rare, but it happens

laotou

One of the Regulars
It takes time and effort to build a wardrobe. You may find this helpful. Another tip,and I speak from personal experience here, get some help. While out thrift store shopping, "Excuse me Miss. Does this shirt go with these paints?" or "Pardon my being forward but you obviously have a keen since of fashion. Would you be so kind as to help me with mine?" You will be surprised at how building a wardrobe and meeting folks will go together.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"In a similar vain, quite often , when I am in a department store, wearing a suit & tie, I have sweet old ladies come up to me and enquire, "Where would i find an Ironing Board cover" "i'am so tempted to say "Perchance, On on ironing Board " but I Smile Sweetly and ask for assistance, from a spotty faced Emo, who does actually work there!"

Smuterella

One Too Many
BinkieBaumont said:
tumblr_kqg4a807Od1qzktgqo1_500.jpg

[/SIZE]

plastic surgery disaster

Smuterella

One Too Many
Spitfire said:
Mixing vintage and modern has several advantages.
1. You create you own style.
2. The single vintage items gets more attention - and so do you.
3. You do not look like somebody who lost his way to the filmstudio.
4. Wearing the right vintage items, at the right time, the right way - shows you are a man who knows.

But most importantly: Relax - it's only clothes.

Hmmm, I really don't agree with the "advantages". You can create your own style wearing 100% vintage just as you can wearing 100% modern. I certainly find I get more attention when I'm dressed head to toe vintage and I just love that costumey film look. lol

And "its only clothes" *shocked* :D

Lillemor

One Too Many
Paisley said:
Full-on vintage isn't for me. I wear vintage or vintage-inspired pieces, usually with basic pants.

I'm finding that this works best for me too except I'm more of a skirt and dress type. I like to be creative with my style and not be tied to any one style or era either. Generally, I go for a late 40s-early 60s casual/sporty look that may not have been appropriate in all contexts or for all ages at the time but it still looks like what some elderly wear today so I've been trying to strike a more obviously retro balance with some "exotic" accessories, single pieces of garments, and jewelry too. On the other hand, there are days where it suits me just fine if people think I look granny from head to toe and wrongfully assume I'm style clueless.:D

To most modern people any of us will probably look like we're trying too hard and if it bothers them they might benefit from some soul searching.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My two cents:

Have a look at all this street wear and fashion blogs (like the satorialist or hel-look) . You have to admit that the "modern" or even "hip" outfits don't look as good as the vintage or vintage inspired styles.
Sometimes they look "interesting" when they are totally over the top. But it's nothing you or me would wear...

Maybe you could ask a friend to make pictures of you in your favourite combinations? Ask them how they like it. Show them in the "what are you wearing today" thread. Receive compliments...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner