Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Weight loss options

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
I think I said it before, but I'm currently trying to shed the weight that has piled on during the last five years!

What I find hard is my partner, who will almost try and scupper my efforts 'hey, I got a take away for dinner!' and my 'friends' who almost want to keep me big because me losing weight would knock them out of their comfort zone. I have lost about a stone and a half and has anyone said anything? Well done? Congrats? Have they hell as like....I know they have noticed but is it too much to ask for a little encouragement?

K (grumpy in Yorkshire):mad:

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
How about all of us ladies who want to lose weight to a challenge together?

I love who I am, but I'd love if who I was was a bit lighter. I've found that the best way for me to lose weight is with companions, and it is only successful if I like the people. Well, I like you people.

I'm more than willing to organize the program-- it can be our "Biggest Loser Challenge: Vintage."

I've done an online Biggest Loser challenge before on another site, and it is really quite easy, especially if the challenge board is on a site you use regularly.

What do you all say? Anyone interested?

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
I'm glad you two are interested!

I's really quite easy-- everyone who wants to participate is added to a list, which is then randomly divided in to as many teams as we need to have for the amount of participants. Each week, the team members will respond with their weight loss. The team with the most percentage of weight loss that week is the winner for that week. The top 3 losers get a 1 pound pass for the next week, meaning that they get to add 1 pound to their weight loss the next week.

Each week, a challenge will take place where each participant records their successes (glasses of water drank, minutes of physical activity, etc.) and the person with the highest participation numbers gets a prize such as a weigh-in pass where they don't have to weigh in during the week of their choice, or something like that.

We don't kick people off, like in the TV show, because everyone should have the oppertunity to participate. Maybe we can come up with some sort of ultimate prize for the Biggest Loser in the end-- something Vintage themed, of course.

Lengths of time vary-- I think 12 weeks is a really good length for the contest.

How does that all sound?

Of course none of this is permanent and all is negotiable.

sweatyspaghetti

Familiar Face
wow i'd participate in that!....my thing for staying small(a 3 in vinatge sizes,2 in modern sizes) i actually don't eat meat or bread or anything in between,its just fruits and veggies.but i always get stuck on oranges and corn. and i work out i tiny bit.like bike,and hula hoops are my only thing and ocasionally situps.

so i guess those newer generation metal heads call it "hardcore vegetarian" i always crack up at the saying.

KittyVonKirsche

Familiar Face
oooo Ill def be up for the biggest loser thingy! I desperately need some encouragement and support, and a bit of healthy competition ( pardon the pun). Sign me up :D

:eusa_clap Well done Kitty-Sheridan! You should be really proud of yourself :D

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
I'd be willing to join. I have what I think may be an ulcer (pending a endoscopy next week) and have gained 5 lbs from bread products. WHat a "beep" it's been to take off too! I'm actually hoping to lose 7 lbs though.
I feel like I can't it jack diddly squat. I watch everyone eat and drink junk, at home, while I take a massive amount of chalk (ulcer med) to coat my stomach.

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
maggiethespy said:
Also, these are absolutely hilarious:

Weight Watchers Recipe Cards C. 1974

(click the arrows to see all of the fun!)

There's nothing quite like '70s food photos. :eek:

I don't care if food magazines nowadays do spray the food with toxic substances so they look pretty. It's all worth it. Really.

My money's on the Salmon Mousse as worst-tasting...

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
ShoreRoadLady said:

I don't care if food magazines nowadays do spray the food with toxic substances so they look pretty. It's all worth it. Really.

I don't know... The Melon Mousse looks positively horrific, as does the Fluffy Mackerel Pudding...

Inky

One Too Many
wooo - I see how those cards worked, you looked at them and then promptly LOST your appetite!! :eek:

I do have a favorite Weight Watchers recipe from the mid-80's that I still use today, Taco Chicken.

You buy a packet of Lawry's (or any brand you like) Taco Seasoning mix. Dump it in a big zip-lock bag with chicken pieces of your choice, skinless works best and I usually use breasts or thighs. Shake it in the bag like old Shake n' Bake, then dump it out onto a foil line baking sheet (for easy clean up!). Bake 30-45 minutes at 350F and then I shred it up into tortillas or use it on salads during the week.

High on the sodium from the mix but it really gives the chicken a tasty coating without the skin.

jayem

A-List Customer
ShoreRoadLady said:

For some reason, anything taken by camera in the 70's just looked... dirty and disgusting.

I've been on a fairly nice diet for a bit. So far, I've lost weight, I'm assuming because my pants are a bit bigger on me. I don't weigh myself; I refuse to live my life by a number. Anyways, I've been eating fish at least 5 times a week, mostly salmon. I haven't been buying any fast food, I've been brewing my own coffees and teas, and I've been avoiding snacking on carbs. I bake mostly every meal, and if I do fry (like eggs) I use olive oil instead of butter or lard. Oh, and I'm avoiding pop for as long as I can manage. Instead, I've been drinking lemon-green tea and gatorade like a mad woman. Oh, and water. My energy has been very high lately, plus my skins cleared up from all the salmon. I recommend it to anybody who loves fish as much as I do.

Dani_Daydream

New in Town
Well done everyone on this topic!

I recently decided to lose all the weight that i'd piled on since i met my boyfriend 3 years ago. Unfortunately, I was badly advised to take a form of contraceptive called Implanon, which led to me very quickly having panic attacks, extreme PMT and to make matters worse i went from 114lbs upto 164lbs!

I languished around for 2 years messing about with low fat yoghurts, but recently i really turned a corner, joined the gym and lost 20lbs in just over 6 weeks. Alot of this was down to hormonal changes which occured after removing my implant, but also a big part of my weightloss was stopping adding SALT!

I'm carrying on with my weightloss and hope to lose the next 30lbs by the summer time so i can wear my amazing all in one, pin up swimsuit!

Also, a great free site for weight loss is http://www.sparkpeople.com

it's free, as good as weightwatchers and i found it such a help.

good luck! :D

x

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
I would be in to something like this.....BUT, we gain muscle wieght as we are working out to burn fat and increase our metabolism, so I just can't look at the scale while this is happening......I find the best way to measure fitness success is with a tape measure. Waist, hip and upper arm measurements, for instance.

So could we have an "inches lost" category as well? Let's say there are two teams, and one week Team A loses 20 pounds and 10 inches, but Team B loses 12 pounds and 15 inches.

That way we can still see the various levels of success and nobody gets discouraged.

Just a suggestion, of course, as the scale is becoming an "old-fashioned" means of weighing fitness (no pun intended). And even though this is a vintage website, we can be more progressive concerning our health. :) Whaddya say??

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
MissAmelina said:
I would be in to something like this.....BUT, we gain muscle wieght as we are working out to burn fat and increase our metabolism, so I just can't look at the scale while this is happening......I find the best way to measure fitness success is with a tape measure. Waist, hip and upper arm measurements, for instance.

So could we have an "inches lost" category as well? Let's say there are two teams, and one week Team A loses 20 pounds and 10 inches, but Team B loses 12 pounds and 15 inches.

That way we can still see the various levels of success and nobody gets discouraged.

Just a suggestion, of course, as the scale is becoming an "old-fashioned" means of weighing fitness (no pun intended). And even though this is a vintage website, we can be more progressive concerning our health. :) Whaddya say??

I love that! Totally! Let me edit that in to the board!

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
Dani_Daydream said:
Well done everyone on this topic!

I recently decided to lose all the weight that i'd piled on since i met my boyfriend 3 years ago. Unfortunately, I was badly advised to take a form of contraceptive called Implanon, which led to me very quickly having panic attacks, extreme PMT and to make matters worse i went from 114lbs upto 164lbs!

I languished around for 2 years messing about with low fat yoghurts, but recently i really turned a corner, joined the gym and lost 20lbs in just over 6 weeks. Alot of this was down to hormonal changes which occured after removing my implant, but also a big part of my weightloss was stopping adding SALT!

I'm carrying on with my weightloss and hope to lose the next 30lbs by the summer time so i can wear my amazing all in one, pin up swimsuit!

Also, a great free site for weight loss is http://www.sparkpeople.com

it's free, as good as weightwatchers and i found it such a help.

good luck! :D

x

I've used sparkpeople before, and I agree it's great. As helpful as it was, it just didn't work for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy