Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Weird and Forgotten Movies

59Lark

Practically Family
The aviator not the newer one.

Since the other movie about howard hughes came out, this one has disappeared , want to know if anyone else has seen this one, superman , reeves guy as a world war one pilot after the war, flying airmail, also has one fo the cagney and lacey ladies as a love interest. is the title right, am I loosing it, I LOVED this movie, was deeply depressed at the time , over 25 years ago and something about this movie pulled me out of the black abyvas, had had a car accident and wasnt thinking well, and the spirtit of this movie, overcoming the past and surviving , well it helped would love to get a copy but have never seen it again , like a passing cloud. 59Lark.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
59Lark said:
Since the other movie about howard hughes came out, this one has disappeared , want to know if anyone else has seen this one, superman , reeves guy as a world war one pilot after the war, flying airmail, also has one fo the cagney and lacey ladies as a love interest. is the title right, am I loosing it, I LOVED this movie, was deeply depressed at the time , over 25 years ago and something about this movie pulled me out of the black abyvas, had had a car accident and wasnt thinking well, and the spirtit of this movie, overcoming the past and surviving , well it helped would love to get a copy but have never seen it again , like a passing cloud. 59Lark.[/QUOTE]

Yes! I saw this one years ago and loved it - Christopher Reeve as the mail pilot. I remember talking about this one with all my pilot buddies back when it was new. I was reminded of it when the Hughes 'Aviator' came out and wondered why they would pick that as a title too.

Well chosen, Fifty-Nine Lark!

P.S. I'm reminded too of that Sally Struthers and Ed Asner thing, "Hey! I'm alive!" about a plane wreck in the backwoods of Alaska.

-dixon cannon

DavidVillaJr

One of the Regulars
59Lark said:
Since the other movie about howard hughes came out, this one has disappeared , want to know if anyone else has seen this one, superman , reeves guy as a world war one pilot after the war, flying airmail, also has one fo the cagney and lacey ladies as a love interest. is the title right, am I loosing it, I LOVED this movie, was deeply depressed at the time , over 25 years ago and something about this movie pulled me out of the black abyvas, had had a car accident and wasnt thinking well, and the spirtit of this movie, overcoming the past and surviving , well it helped would love to get a copy but have never seen it again , like a passing cloud. 59Lark.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088758/ -- This one?

here ya' go: http://www.amazon.com/Aviator-Chris...ef=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1217484081&sr=1-5

I remember it vaguely, must've seen in only one time.

dv

DavidVillaJr

One of the Regulars
Alright, I couldn't be bothered to re-read the whole thread, but here's one for the older (my age and up:p ) of us...

does anyone else remember the ORIGINAL Star Wars Christmas special?

Animated. Wookies. Wookie Planet. Original Cast Voices.

Stretch them braincells would ya'?

If anyone has a copy they videotaped, or has a REAL LIFE source, not one of the "I know a guy who says he has it, but won't show it to anyone" sources, own up and share with the world.

dv

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I once saw the movie 'They Saved Hitler's Brain' at The Incredibly Strange Film Festival.

It lived up to the name of the festival! It was possibly (what am I talking about? I was) the WORST film I have ever seen. Made in the 50s, later in the 60s someone spliced in extra scenes that had nothing to do with the plot, which was minimal, I admit. Mainly the same two guys running past a doorway with spaceguns. Oh, and a brain on a plate with electrodes in it....

Finally got around to seeing Gonks Go Beat! Thanks, BK. You now owe me 90 minutes of my life back.

Nah, definitely worth a view for historical purposes. Can't help but to think the producers were saying, 'These kids don't care about plot. Just give the actors guitars and have 'em scream 'Yeah.''

Regards,

jack

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/0q6YWDm0GSU&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/0q6YWDm0GSU&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Miss Sis said:
I once saw the movie 'They Saved Hitler's Brain' at The Incredibly Strange Film Festival.

It lived up to the name of the festival! It was possibly (what am I talking about? I was) the WORST film I have ever seen. Made in the 50s, later in the 60s someone spliced in extra scenes that had nothing to do with the plot, which was minimal, I admit. Mainly the same two guys running past a doorway with spaceguns. Oh, and a brain on a plate with electrodes in it....

Oh yes, I've heard of that. Sounds like and interesting viewing.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
I really enjoy "Atomic Cafe." An ironic, comical (not always intentionally) and discussion provoking little movie made in 1982, it consists entirely of archival footage of 1940's and 1950's military training films, school educational films and newsreel footage aimed at feeding the American public the idea that the atomic bomb would have little more than a ripple effect should it ever come our way. The editing and combing of the snippets used is great. The catchy soundtrack of music from the Cold War era is appropriately atomic themed -some personal favorites: "Thirteen Men;" "Flying Home," (Glenn Miller); "Atomic Cocktail" and a beautiful "Hungarian Rhapsody."

Atomic Cafe is haunting.

I still remember learning that in the 50's some school districts issued the children military style steel dogtags with the reassurances that these would help the parents identify their bodies even if nearly vaporized. :eek:

Sounds like it should be pretty reassuring to a child doesn't it? :eusa_doh:

What a relief to know!

John in Covina said:
Atomic Cafe is haunting.

I still remember learning that in the 50's some school districts issued the children military style steel dogtags with the reassurances that these would help the parents identify their bodies even if nearly vaporized. :eek:

What a relief to know!

:eek: :eek:

Lily Powers

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
Atomic Cafe is haunting.

What a relief to know!

Yet another reason to "duck and cover." If you're inclined to relive the lunacy, "Atomic Cafe" is on DVD. :)

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I remember when Shag the Movie came out I wondered what the public would think of the title when it hit the U.K.
Another one was Free Willy.lol

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner