Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

weird wing

dr greg

One Too Many
I've just started watching this US show called the West Wing, which I gather is some sort of fantasyland for Democrat voters according to my countryman's FOX people. Everybody seems to talk while they walk to an extreme degree, and the camera crew must be seriously fit; anyway, in the recent few episodes, there's all this commotion about a female politician being pregnant with people hassling her in bars and whatever... so what's going on there? I have no cultural referent to this at all. We have plenty of female parliamentarians in this country, and they get pregnant from time to time, as women tend to, and some of them are single mums as well..no big deal made that I can ever recall. What is the rationale behind this plotline..it's got me completely lost.

JoyfulGirl

New in Town
I started watching the West Wing because it was created by one of my favorite screenwriters - Aaron Sorkin (writer of A Few Good Men). It's strikingly idealistic about the US political system to a fault at times, but I can't help but like the characters and dialogue. Some of the episodes are really beautifully put together in every aspect, especially in the first season. And this is coming from a person who is convinced that TV lost whatever kind of soul it had when it started renewing shows like Fear Factor. Anyway, the network West Wing runs on over here kicked Sorkin off a couple of seasons ago and I stopped watching.

In the story line you're talking about, I believe, they weren't talking to her because she was pregnant, but pregnant and unmarried. I don't remember if there was more to the story than that, however. I think that's the only time it happened to her, as well. That was the last season Sorkin was on and they were already phasing him out...so I didn't pay as much attention to it than I did in the earlier seasons. I haven't ever heard of that happening to any of our female congresswomen here, but then, stranger things have happened. Right in the Senate chamber, one Congressman beat another with his cane into unconsciousness. And then was re-elected.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I gave up on that show long ago after one season. The way it is written and choreographed in dialogue you have to ingest every scene and line of the script so as to understand some obtuse future reference to a previous statement. Miss a line of conversation and in 2 weeks you're going "Huh?" Doesn't mean it's not a good show but it became too much of a study and test scenario than entertainment for me.:eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart