Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Welcome To The No Spender Bender

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Well, I've managed not to purchase anything on eBay the entire month of June. I've not bought a hat since the 15th of May. I'm sure I bought few things here and there (some books while on a trip to Oregon, for instance) during the past month, but really can't think of anything. It probably helps that I was working some very long hours the past few weeks!

Ah, well... pressing on with pride, as they say. Good luck in July, everyone!

Cheers,
Tom

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Paisley: This is pretty much how I live--and I don't suffer. Of course I buy things I could survive without, but I make sure I get maximum satisfaction for what I spend.

Something I avoid is recreational shopping. "Lead us not into temptation..." If I need to shop, I make a list and stick to it--I don't even look at things I'm not there for, I don't stop or look left or right. Some people say it helps to go to the grocery store when they're very full.

That about sums it up for me as well as I live on a fixed income. The bulk of my money goes on my rent (which thankfully also includes water/sewer, heat and trash...and then my electricity and gas are separate)...then the other large part I spend my money on is my health due to the CFS - I use supplements, herbs, essential oils to help my condition...and some of these I do buy on eBay - so I can't say 'no to eBay' totally.

It's rather quite rare that I buy books or anything else really due to the aforementioned. I usually try to get books via inter-library loan - and have gotten quite a few that way.

Since I don't have direct access (I don't care to pay nearly $40/mth for what little I actually do online) I have to go to cafes that have WI-FI so, that means a cuppa or two and perhaps a bite to eat.

Like Paisley, I can't say I suffer much...I'm usually too tired to be constantly active and there's not many places for me to go - as there isn't much maritime stuff where I live...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Rough month for me, as anticipated -- I had a mess of extra bills, including dental expenses and quarterly taxes, and the month wrapped up with the hospital setting a collection agency after me over an emergency-room bill from six months ago. Apparently paying them ten bucks a month wasn't enough --personally, I didn't even want to pay that, especially since I emerged from the treatement sicker than when I went in. So, anyway, they made me settle that, which has left me within a few hundred dollars of being completely broke. Last week I returned pop bottles and rolled quarters to put food on the table.

So no extra spending this month, and no extra spending next month and no extra spending ad infinitum.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I hear you on that, Lizzie. This July is going to be super tight for me as well. No extra money for anything. Not like I had any to begin with, but no new patterns. Rats.

LD

Lenore

Practically Family
Lost my job a couple of weeks ago so the Dave Ramsey plan gets kicked into high gear with the depletion of my emergency fund. :-(

*sigh* I'd like pretty dresses for the potential new job though..

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Geez, Lenore, I'm sorry to hear about your losing your job! I've spent more time without a job than with one since I retired from the Air Force so I can relate somewhat.

Potential new job? I hope that comes through for you quickly!

Good luck,
Tom

davestlouis

Practically Family
I've been super-frugal this year, income is down and kid-related expenses are killing me...5 of them need glasses or contacts by the end of summer, the last 3 are getting braces this summer (the orthodontist does offer volume discounts), so I haven't bought anything fun or interesting in the longest time. I've even given up grocery shopping at the fancy supermarket, and have been buying as much as I can at the local produce stand, or ALDI's.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Wow, what an interesting idea.

In thinking about it, I assumed thats how I have always lived, but . . .

Im in the process of moving (again, and oh, I hate moving), I now see that I have boxes of what I can now call junk that are and were hardly what Id call necessary purchases. And most of them were guess where . . . that bastion of money sucking waste . . . ebay.

Since my last move, about 3 years ago, I just about completely stopped cruising the bay, and my savings stopped going bye-bye.

I have also had a couple of hospitalizations in the last few years, and, as good as my insurance coverage is, it doesnt cover everything.

Theres lots more thats new with my life now, as well, which translates to significantly more monthly expenditures.

So I guess that this little club is a fantastic idea, and I will probably be a no-spender, and my bender will be quite lengthy, to boot.

Inky

One Too Many
I'm so glad to see new folks joining up to my little idea!!

I had good success overall the past 8 weeks, managing to pay for airline tickets, car rental and spending money for our eight day vacation in Michigan, not to mention new rear tires for the car. I sold a lot of things on ebay, here in the lounge and via facebook to fund the spending money portion.

This month it's back on NSB track so we can save up for a new washer and dryer sometime in the future.

Good luck and happy no-spending!

Lenore

Practically Family
Thanks Tom. I appreciate it. I didn't get the last interview, though I think it's a fit thing. The office manager woman who interviewed me was wearing flip flops and had a messy pony tail. I wasn't comfortable there from the moment I walked in to the moment I walked out. Something will come up that's right for me. :eek:

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
davestlouis: I've even given up grocery shopping at the fancy supermarket, and have been buying as much as I can at the local produce stand, or ALDI's.

That's one thing I like about where I live...there's several ALDI's nearby, but the one I go to the most is the Surplus Outlet where I can manage to get organic and all natural foods for a fraction of supermarket prices. I can also buy natural toiletries there too, as well as natural cleaners, and then regular items like toilet paper...paper towels for a very small cost. I go shopping there first and then anything I can't get there, I go to the regular supermarket to buy.

There are two online places I go for my supplements and other natural toiletries I can't get at Surplus Outlet:

Vitacost and Lucky Vitamin

Those two places I wouldn't be able to survive without...I saved tons of money buying my natural products through there than some expensive health food store.

Asdf

New in Town
Money's getting a bit tight for me recently so I may as well give it a go, I suppose :)

Well, when I get back from my long weekend in London ;)

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
What, no one's on board for August? :p

Just took a look at my eBay summary, and for the first time in five years the total for the past 60 days is $0.00! Wow. Who'd have thought it could happen?

Of course, funds have gone out elsewhere, such as $1,700 for a new garden tractor/mower, but the frivolous spending has died down to almost nothing. Wait, I did buy a new shaving brush and renewed my stock of shaving cremes. But other than that... not bad.

Of course, the fact I was working horrendous hours plus doing school work probably helped, too! :p

Good luck in August, everyone!

Cheers,
Tom

olive bleu

One Too Many
Boy, do i need help. Just when i thought i was beginning to dig myself out of one financial hole along comes a few more. Summer school, lawyers bills, sports fees and now around the corner back to school for 2 x teenagers.I really have not bought anything for myself in ages anyway, so now i guess it's instant coffee at work and bolognie sandwiches .:p

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I did much better in July than I thought I would -- managed to avoid most of the extra spending, although there were a couple of expenses for the ongoing book project I couldn't avoid. And after four years in my current job I finally qualified for health insurance, so for the first time in thirteen years I have coverage. I also got a pay raise -- which just covers the cost of the insurance, so it doesn't amount to anything in the way of take home, but still helps.

Too early to tell how August will go, but I'm more optimistic than I was a month ago.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Inky said:
I've completely lost my no spending mojo - but on the other hand, I've started walking again ;)

Good luck in August and I am going to try to do better - I need a goal to motivate me!
Me, too! I'm getting back on the wagon except for some things I need for a trip at the end of the month.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff