Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Well I Never Knew They Made It There! - Whisky from around the Globe.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
This thread was inspired by an enjoyable evening Mrs. B and I had sampling a selection of 5 whiskys from the Amrut distillery in the sub-continent of India.

I believe that there a numerous products sold in India that are made from molasses and are rather closer to rum in characteristic than scotch.

Of the five we tried, the prated variety at 62.78%ABV was a favourite. As was one of the older varieties which had a little tobacco flavour and reminded me of something once offer by Dalmore.

The Amrut fusion was also quite good but, unfortunately, didn't quite live up to the hype for us.

In conclusion a great evening and these malts held their own against many a scotch.

So my question, is anyone else a fan of or tried any of the international up-and-coming whisky producers? e.g.

Japan
India
New Zealand
England
Wales
Sweden
South Africa

and more...

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Ethan,

Japanese whisky is bloody good, although pricey generally.

I have had Wilson's whisky from NZ and it's not my cup of tea. It's pretty cheap and rough.

In fairness though to my home country, there was a Kiwi single malt called Milfords which was supposedly very, very good. Production ended a decade or two back and prices for what is left have I believe shot up. I've never tried it but those who have usually have lots of superlatives to say about it.

Southern Distilleries in the South Island of NZ also make a few of whiskies including their most famous one "Hokonui Whisky" which are meant to be good:

sim3.jpg

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Smithy said:
Ethan,

Japanese whisky is bloody good, although pricey generally.

I have had Wilson's whisky from NZ and it's not my cup of tea. It's pretty cheap and rough.

In fairness though to my home country, there was a Kiwi single malt called Milfords which was supposedly very, very good. Production ended a decade or two back and prices for what is left have I believe shot up. I've never tried it but those who have usually have lots of superlatives to say about it.

Southern Distilleries in the South Island of NZ also make a few of whiskies including their most famous one "Hokonui Whisky" which are meant to be good:
]

I Have quite enjoyed the half dozen or so Japanese whiskys I've been luck enough to try. The Suntory Yamazaki 12yr Old was very nice.

Funny that you mentioned the Milford, we tried a mini over the weekend and Mrs. B like it so much we now have a full bottle of the 10yr old. Shame it shut down.

Burton

One of the Regulars
Once in a hell hole on the Asmat Coast of Irian Jaya I ran out of the stuff that I had brought in and went through a few bottles of what was labeled "Drum Whisky" which was in actuality something more like rubbing alcohol with a little flavoring. Fortunately for me no blindness resulted but unfortunately I am not able to add Indonesian whisky to the "up and coming" list.

I have had a couple of varieties of Indian whisky and found them to be drinkable.

LordBest

Practically Family
There is a very good whisky made in Australia by Bakery Hill Distillery. I haven't sampled it myself as yet, but I know some conoisseurs who have and they say it is excellent.

Mossyrock

One of the Regulars
If you are really adventurous, try Mekong Whiskey from Thailand. I have never seen it anywhere outside of that country. How good is it? Well, I guess that would depend upon how desperate you are for a drink, or how much you had before someone handed you the bottle......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner