Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Well, It Looks Like I'm On Strike...

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
First Day...

Well, I walked the line at NBC Burbank today and there was a feeling of hope and commaradery among those there and great support from those going by - the horns were a blarin'. For the morning shift Jay Leno came out in support, and with donuts!

The whole day was, oddly, very...comforting. Most of my time is spent in solitary work. When I do collaborate, it's with four or five other writers. But today there were hundreds of writers, actors, etc. banding together for a singular purpose, and it's not just the issues at hand - it's about the preservation of our Guild and the appreciation of what we do by those who make billions from it!

I'll take a camera tomorrow, get some shots. Damn, my feet hurt! Oh, and I went with a Newsboy cap! Got the 'dock worker' comment right off!

carter

I'll Lock Up
Mr. Lucky said:
Well, I walked the line at NBC Burbank today and there was a feeling of hope and commaradery among those there and great support from those going by - the horns were a blarin'. For the morning shift Jay Leno came out in support, and with donuts!

The whole day was, oddly, very...comforting. Most of my time is spent in solitary work. When I do collaborate, it's with four or five other writers. But today there were hundreds of writers, actors, etc. banding together for a singular purpose, and it's not just the issues at hand - it's about the preservation of our Guild and the appreciation of what we do by those who make billions from it!

I'll take a camera tomorrow, get some shots. Damn, my feet hurt! Oh, and I went with a Newsboy cap! Got the 'dock worker' comment right off!

Glad to hear it was a good day on the picket lines. Hopefully this will be settled soon. Pictures would certainly be interesting.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Mr. Lucky said:

As a writer myself, I offer you and the rest of the writers my full support! Hope things get resolved soon. :)

mikepara

Practically Family
Good luck with the Strike. Lets hope you are supported and that means it ends soon!

I've just got back to work recently due to the CWU strikes in Scotland / UK. Its a sad affair with the management telling the public a pack of lies about greed and pay. The strikes where over 30,000 job cuts and conditions. Sorry for any of you Ebayers out there who's packets where held up by my actions but people died to give us the freedom to strike and I couldn't look myself in the eye when shaving if I had crossed the picket.

Edward

Bartender
mikepara said:
Good luck with the Strike. Lets hope you are supported and that means it ends soon!

I've just got back to work recently due to the CWU strikes in Scotland / UK. Its a sad affair with the management telling the public a pack of lies about greed and pay. The strikes where over 30,000 job cuts and conditions. Sorry for any of you Ebayers out there who's packets where held up by my actions but people died to give us the freedom to strike and I couldn't look myself in the eye when shaving if I had crossed the picket.

Damn right. I just worry about bo Crowe and his latest show of stength - I'd want to see him tarred and feathered if he let the Tories (whether New Labour or Conservative) have the excuse to further curtail unions and rights to strike for us all!

Anyhow.... I do hope this gets resolved in the writers' favour. It never ceases to bother me how legally the whole entertainment industry continues to be biased further and further in favour of the middleman, with studios and record labels bleating about infringers and pirates screwing over the artists while doing exaclty the same thing themselves at every turn. :rage:

Dr. Shocker

One of the Regulars
it was good to hear industry teamsters won't cross the lines as they shouldn't hopefully that will make for a short holiday as opposed to a long strike

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Another day on the line.
strike.jpg

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
And, AGAIN, thank you EVERYBODY for your support! I'm sore, I'm tired, but I am committed - just as all those others who are out there. These are not Porsche driving butt-heads! These people, these strikers, are workers - middleclass joes - who just happen to write for a living. They come in all shapes, sizes, religions and sexes. And all we want is to make a living - and have something to show for our work and something to fall back on (i.e. residuals) when the going gets tough. And what we are asking for is not a lot. Another writer whom I know - Emmy nominated with a background in journalism - told me that he belives this to be a water-shed moment in American Labor. He believes that 'Management', i.e. the MASSIVE conglomerates who control 95% of the media in this country, want to SMASH the Unions once and for all and continue to enrich their bottom lines, the cost to the ideals that America stands for be damned! And who better to make an example of that those spoiled little Hollywood writers!

But it won't work! Why? Because we know it's BIGGER than us! It's not just about money - it's about respect: respect for art, respect for craft, respect for something that is truly American - the MIDDLE-CLASS way of life! So, once again, I thank you for your support! There's one other thing that you might want to consider in support of us - turn of your TV (Gasp!) and stop going to the movies for a little while. Hurt them where it really matters - in the bottom line!

Thank you.

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Decodence said:
SHouldn't the quality of your work and your contract with teh studios dictate your individual worth?
Most of the time it does - this is covered by the MINIMUM BASIC CONTRACT. Problem is, except with rare companies like HBO, the content is dictated BY the companies. And it's gotten worse. Nobody sets out to make a BAD movie or TV show! But when you have ten execs. dropping notes like "can't we make the dentist into a dog" you're going to have "quality" issues! They are so worried about focus groups, demographics, etc., etc. that content can't help but be compromised. But that don't stop them from making money, money, money!

Now, let me ask you this: Do you TRUST a multi-national conglomerate to do the RIGHT THING of its own accord? Do you believe the corporate mentality of today is capable of rewarding "quality vis a vie worth"?

Decodence

A-List Customer
Mr. Lucky said:
Most of the time it does - this is covered by the MINIMUM BASIC CONTRACT. Problem is, except with rare companies like HBO, the content is dictated BY the companies. And it's gotten worse. Nobody sets out to make a BAD movie or TV show! But when you have ten execs. dropping notes like "can't we make the dentist into a dog" you're going to have "quality" issues! They are so worried about focus groups, demographics, etc., etc. that content can't help but be compromised. But that don't stop them from making money, money, money!

Now, let me ask you this: Do you TRUST a multi-national conglomerate to do the RIGHT THING of its own accord? Do you believe the corporate mentality of today is capable of rewarding "quality vis a vie worth"?
The company is answerable only to its shareholders. The CEO's PURPOSE is to maximize shareholder value. I happen to be a shareholder of every company I have worked for as an adult. I apppreciate when my holdings do well. That being said, I support your right to engage in collective bargaining even though I do not personally think it reflects well on the value of your profession. I prefer free-market supply and demand bargaining, and on an individual basis. I don't need collective bargaining to pay my bills.

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Decodence said:
The company is answerable only to its shareholders. The CEO's PURPOSE is to maximize shareholder value. I happen to be a shareholder of every company I have worked for as an adult. I apppreciate when my holdings do well. That being said, I support your right to engage in collective bargaining even though I do not personally think it reflects well on the value of your profession. I prefer free-market supply and demand bargaining, and on an individual basis. I don't need collective bargaining to pay my bills.
Yes, the CEO's purpose is to maximize shareholder value, but at what cost? Without "Labor" standing up to "Management" there'd still be kids in the factories and mines, a six-day work week and other lovely practices from the past. Did "The Company" make these changes because they wanted to? Hell no! They made them because THEY HAD TO! And that had nothing to do with the value of anyone's profession! I'm glad YOU don't need collective bargaining to pay your bills, but I DO! This is not a five days a week, fifty-two weeks a year industry. I've gone YEARS without Guild wages. And how have I gotten through - the same way authors, actors and others in the 'arts' have for a very long time: royalties and residuals and taking OTHER JOBS to make ends meet. And I don't gripe or moan for having to take other jobs, that's the nature of MY industry. But the fact is when I CREATE something that is used for profit, over and over again, I want my piece of the pie. That TOO is the way the free-market works! You tell one of them there CEO's that they won't get THEIR bonus if they don't perform. Go ahead, as a shareholder, I dare ya'! See what happens.

ShortClara

One Too Many
Mr. Lucky said:
Yes, the CEO's purpose is to maximize shareholder value, but at what cost? Without "Labor" standing up to "Management" there'd still be kids in the factories and mines, a six-day work week and other lovely practices from the past. Did "The Company" make these changes because they wanted to? Hell no! They made them because THEY HAD TO! And that had nothing to do with the value of anyone's profession! I'm glad YOU don't need collective bargaining to pay your bills, but I DO! This is not a five days a week, fifty-two weeks a year industry. I've gone YEARS without Guild wages. And how have I gotten through - the same way authors, actors and others in the 'arts' have for a very long time: royalties and residuals and taking OTHER JOBS to make ends meet. And I don't gripe or moan for having to take other jobs, that's the nature of MY industry. But the fact is when I CREATE something that is used for profit, over and over again, I want my piece of the pie. That TOO is the way the free-market works! You tell one of them there CEO's that they won't get THEIR bonus if they don't perform. Go ahead, as a shareholder, I dare ya'! See what happens.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap BRAVO!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Jovan

Suspended
You know, I may just do that. I want you guys to win, so I won't see another movie in theatres, no matter how hard it may be, until this is resolved. You have my support.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ