Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wellema Hat Co

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
I have recently been seeing this name in varied threads - mostly in reference to caps, but know nothing about them since I do not wear caps. In looking at their site, I see they also have some interesting felt hats.

Rather than follow up in someone else's thread, I thought I would start a new one for this maker.

There is one particular hat that I really like in their gallery, but would like to know a bit about them before any serious consideration. Any info good, bad or in between?

http://www.wellemahatco.com/#!gallery/c1au0

Thanks,
Fed

Gotta pay rent in the LA area for a brick and mortar store. I'm sure that has something to do with the pricing.....

True dat. Plus, in the LA area, I'm sure there is more of a price=quality thing to consider. Or I may be stereotyping too much. He certainly seems passionate about his craft, though. I'm going to keep an eye on his IG.

His name is Cody. He is a nice fellow. I've chatted with him a few times. He seems like he is good people and is passionate about the business. And to boot, he isn't the type to just pass by other makers hats on IG. He likes something and it gets a like...he gives a kudos on work that he sees that is done well. I admire him for that; it goes a long way in my book. GOOD LUCK Cody!

DamianM

Vendor
Great to hear some interest on my friend.
He does great work and is always seeking to improve. He's new(ish) on the scene but he's off to a great start being able to open a brick and mortar shop so early in his career and appearing in all sorts of makers magazines (Men's File, Clutch magazine)
His hats are all handcrafted and made to last with high quality materials to last you a lifetime.
He makes all sorts repairs and cleans up hats as well.

Here I am wearing his rendition of a 1930s fedora in a soft cream felt with a dark burgundy band.
It's Spot on.
13892375_598209743689934_7008848672679176650_n.jpg

He carries my caps for any of those in town that would want to try one out and forgo the wait time for a made to order piece. Us small makers have to help each other out.

If you are interested you cannot go wrong in supporting a small American made business.

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
True dat. Plus, in the LA area, I'm sure there is more of a price=quality thing to consider. Or I may be stereotyping too much. He certainly seems passionate about his craft, though. I'm going to keep an eye on his IG.

LOL - I would move to Mississippi and lower the overhead...

But he does have some interesting hats in his gallery.

Feraud

Bartender
Wellema had a booth at last year's Inspiration NYC at the Brooklyn Expo. They look to make a very period looking, quality fedora. I was seriously tempted to get a custom lid made. To be fair to the wife I have a couple of closets stuffed with boxes of fedoras so there's that..
It's good to see another hatmaker in the game!

RJR

Wellema had a booth at last year's Inspiration NYC at the Brooklyn Expo. They look to make a very period looking, quality fedora. I was seriously tempted to get a custom lid made. To be fair to the wife I have a couple of closets stuffed with boxes of fedoras so there's that..
It's good to see another hatmaker in the game!
Agreed.

DamianM

Vendor
LOL - I would move to Mississippi and lower the overhead...

But he does have some interesting hats in his gallery.

With anything new, custom, and of High quality, there is a price to be paid.

The cost of materials alone would put things in perspective and moving to Mississippi won't change that.
Its not for everyone and that's understandable. But the niche market doesn't allow for a price drop.

Last edited:
It is interesting to me that all the hatters that I have come across in North America use the Winchester felts. The question comes up for me; how much of a difference can there be, hatter to hatter, when they are all using the same base product and then how to explain the widely varying price points, again for the same raw material. As a total outsider to the process, I ask how much of a difference can the hand of the individual hatter bring to the final product that would explain the price variance? Why do the hatters not source felts from elsewhere in an attempt to differentiate themselves from the bulk of their competition? Why do no North American hatters bring in say Tonac felts or Fepsa?

EstherWeis

Vendor
It is interesting to me that all the hatters that I have come across in North America use the Winchester felts. The question comes up for me; how much of a difference can there be, hatter to hatter, when they are all using the same base product and then how to explain the widely varying price points, again for the same raw material. As a total outsider to the process, I ask how much of a difference can the hand of the individual hatter bring to the final product that would explain the price variance? Why do the hatters not source felts from elsewhere in an attempt to differentiate themselves from the bulk of their competition? Why do no North American hatters bring in say Tonac felts or Fepsa?

Well import and shipping is pretty steep. That's why I don't have winchester, even though they have more colors available in beaver.
I suspect that is one of the main reasons.

And yes, good question there. I suspect how they finish and treat to felt and what type of lining and ribbon they use.
A very experienced hatter blocks and finishes a hat in less time or the fact they have other people working for them as well?
And how fancy is the hatbox? :)

Reactions: RJR

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
A good hat box easily adds $65 and up to the price of a custom hat. I tried pricing them at the source and there's no price break there... unless you want a cardboard box with your custom hat. I have both. "Custom" hat boxes are sweet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch