Wellema Hat Co

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Fed in a Fedora, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Fed in a Fedora

Fed in a Fedora Practically Family

I have recently been seeing this name in varied threads - mostly in reference to caps, but know nothing about them since I do not wear caps. In looking at their site, I see they also have some interesting felt hats.

Rather than follow up in someone else's thread, I thought I would start a new one for this maker.

There is one particular hat that I really like in their gallery, but would like to know a bit about them before any serious consideration. Any info good, bad or in between?

http://www.wellemahatco.com/#!gallery/c1au0

Thanks,
    Fed

2. moontheloon

moontheloon I'll Lock Up

been following them on Instagram for a while
    they do very nice work and contribute nicely to their community
    very admirable establishment

3. 1mach1

1mach1

I know he has a brick and mortar store, with a space inside designated for Monsivais Caps. I have not had any experience with Wellema, but have plenty with Damian. Wellemas IG page is fun to follow.

DamianM and ChicagoWayVito like this.
  4. Bob Roberts

Bob Roberts I'll Lock Up

Pricey.

5. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Ouch!

6. 1mach1

1mach1

Gotta pay rent in the LA area for a brick and mortar store. I'm sure that has something to do with the pricing.....

DamianM likes this.
  7. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

True dat. Plus, in the LA area, I'm sure there is more of a price=quality thing to consider. Or I may be stereotyping too much. He certainly seems passionate about his craft, though. I'm going to keep an eye on his IG.

DamianM likes this.
  8. His name is Cody. He is a nice fellow. I've chatted with him a few times. He seems like he is good people and is passionate about the business. And to boot, he isn't the type to just pass by other makers hats on IG. He likes something and it gets a like...he gives a kudos on work that he sees that is done well. I admire him for that; it goes a long way in my book. GOOD LUCK Cody!

9. DamianM

DamianM Vendor

Great to hear some interest on my friend.
    He does great work and is always seeking to improve. He's new(ish) on the scene but he's off to a great start being able to open a brick and mortar shop so early in his career and appearing in all sorts of makers magazines (Men's File, Clutch magazine)
    His hats are all handcrafted and made to last with high quality materials to last you a lifetime.
    He makes all sorts repairs and cleans up hats as well.

Here I am wearing his rendition of a 1930s fedora in a soft cream felt with a dark burgundy band.
    It's Spot on.
    [​IMG]

He carries my caps for any of those in town that would want to try one out and forgo the wait time for a made to order piece. Us small makers have to help each other out.

If you are interested you cannot go wrong in supporting a small American made business.

Feraud, 1mach1, DOGMAN and 7 others like this.
  10. Fed in a Fedora

Fed in a Fedora Practically Family

LOL - I would move to Mississippi and lower the overhead...

But he does have some interesting hats in his gallery.

11. Feraud

Feraud Bartender

Wellema had a booth at last year's Inspiration NYC at the Brooklyn Expo. They look to make a very period looking, quality fedora. I was seriously tempted to get a custom lid made. To be fair to the wife I have a couple of closets stuffed with boxes of fedoras so there's that..
    It's good to see another hatmaker in the game!

DamianM likes this.
  12. RJR

RJR

Agreed.

13. DamianM

DamianM Vendor

With anything new, custom, and of High quality, there is a price to be paid.

The cost of materials alone would put things in perspective and moving to Mississippi won't change that.
    Its not for everyone and that's understandable. But the niche market doesn't allow for a price drop.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
    moontheloon and Cane Rod Maker like this.
  14. DamianM

DamianM Vendor

Long-hair brush finish. Tall crown, snap brim with 2" 1930's trim. Inspired by the late 20's - early 30's.

[​IMG]

15. moontheloon

moontheloon I'll Lock Up

nailed it

DamianM likes this.
  16. 1mach1

1mach1

Fantastic. Just Fantastic.

DamianM likes this.
  17. belfastboy

belfastboy My Mail is Forwarded Here

It is interesting to me that all the hatters that I have come across in North America use the Winchester felts. The question comes up for me; how much of a difference can there be, hatter to hatter, when they are all using the same base product and then how to explain the widely varying price points, again for the same raw material. As a total outsider to the process, I ask how much of a difference can the hand of the individual hatter bring to the final product that would explain the price variance? Why do the hatters not source felts from elsewhere in an attempt to differentiate themselves from the bulk of their competition? Why do no North American hatters bring in say Tonac felts or Fepsa?

Cane Rod Maker likes this.
  18. EstherWeis

EstherWeis Vendor

Well import and shipping is pretty steep. That's why I don't have winchester, even though they have more colors available in beaver.
    I suspect that is one of the main reasons.

And yes, good question there. I suspect how they finish and treat to felt and what type of lining and ribbon they use.
    A very experienced hatter blocks and finishes a hat in less time or the fact they have other people working for them as well?
    And how fancy is the hatbox? :)

RJR likes this.
  19. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

What is the expected profit margin?
    What will the market bear?

moontheloon likes this.
  20. FedOregon

FedOregon I'll Lock Up

A good hat box easily adds $65 and up to the price of a custom hat. I tried pricing them at the source and there's no price break there... unless you want a cardboard box with your custom hat. I have both. "Custom" hat boxes are sweet.

DamianM likes this.