Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wellema Hat Co

chilehed

New in Town
Stephen Temkin referred me to Cody last June, and this is the bit of art I just received from him. I love it, it's exactly what I was looking for and he was very good to work with. In a Zoom session he consulted with my wife and me to help negotiate our differences over crown shape and made a few good suggestions about a number of things. Communcation was good, he got it made in less time than he said he would and shipped it right out in time for me to wear it at an out-of-state wedding. It was a great experience, I hope I can stop in to shake his hand some time (I'm in the Midwest so it might be a while).

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
I was searching the threads and came up with the observation that Wellema was unrepresented here, given that it is a brick and mortar custom shop - would seem to fit right into the followers here, but only one mention (well, the search brings up a few more, but you know what I mean) in the past few years...any thoughts? (Re-reading a few comments - perhaps its to do with the $, but then Optimo gets a few hits here...)

I was searching the threads and came up with the observation that Wellema was unrepresented here, given that it is a brick and mortar custom shop - would seem to fit right into the followers here, but only one mention (well, the search brings up a few more, but you know what I mean) in the past few years...any thoughts? (Re-reading a few comments - perhaps its to do with the $, but then Optimo gets a few hits here...)
I am sure that there are Lounge members with one of his hats but perhaps due to price he has never garnered a following here in the Lounge. I know the Personal Style web page/blogger guy reviewed his hat buying process with Cody and gave him good reviews.

Last edited:

Optimo has carved out a niche and offers exclusive colors, felt types, and a certain cachet with pride of ownership. They are good hats, but you’re buying more than just a hat.

A custom that starts at $650 just doesn’t seem to be good value for money to me. They might be special or offer something no one else does, but for a basic hat it’s more than I will pay. Funny how the western custom market gets away with charging so much more while also having more custom hatters…competition isn’t driving prices down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ