Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

We're different

Brooksie

One Too Many
Matt Deckard said:
Too many people care about them. It's a problem. It's what leads to mediocre being accepted and the homoginized magazine shelf for men.

Most people in the world (especially the U.S.) are pretty happy with mediocrity when it comes to thier fashion sense because nobody wants to stand out and look different. I happen to enjoy being an oddball and I have marched to the beat of my own drum for many years now and I do not plan on changing for anybody and I refuse to settle for mediocrity. If somebody thinks I look like I have on a costume so be it at least I do not look like I have just jumped out of bed and put on clothes that were thrown down on the floor the night before. Plus, I would think that shoppers would start to get board with the homoginized magazine shelves of the world but I guess not. (because it all goes back to the happiness with the mediocrity we just discussed!)

Brooksie

Jovan

Suspended
Slicksuit said:
To steal from Apple: "Think Different". 'Nuff said.
Who stole it from IBM's "Think." Irony?
Miss Neecerie said:
and therein lies the pittfall of labels.

one person's dork, is another person's nerd....is another person's smart and funny....

each one of us is a delicate individual flower......didn't you get the memo?
Indeed. I get labeled as a nerd for being into computer games, IRC (the oldest form of instant messaging, I should add), Star Wars and Star Trek. Yes, I am a nerd (Or gay, somehow? What the hell?) for being into vintage clothing and just stylish clothing in general. Yet the guys who label me as that aren't, well: Car nerds, sports nerds, etc. What is a "normal" interest? I've known of people who were into "normal" things and still didn't have much social grace or luck with the ladies (or men). Contrariwise, I've known people who are into the same things as me who have excellent social skills and have a healthy love life. Labels and stereotypes can be ridiculous things.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Jovan said:
Who stole it from IBM's "Think." Irony?

Indeed. I get labeled as a nerd for being into computer games, IRC (the oldest form of instant messaging, I should add), Star Wars and Star Trek. Yes, I am a nerd (Or gay, somehow? What the hell?) for being into vintage clothing and just stylish clothing in general. Yet the guys who label me as that aren't, well: Car nerds, sports nerds, etc. What is a "normal" interest? I've known of people who were into "normal" things and still didn't have much social grace or luck with the ladies (or men).
Just goes to show that "normal" is boring. Sounds like they just bore each other with their normalness.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Labels are a figment of your imagination. If you must, play along, go buy those printable mailer labels and pass them out.

"Okay, you're a nerd, the label says so"

"you're the stoner punk geek surfer dude, here's your label"

"You're the strange guy who dresses like my grandpa in my old family photos. here's your label"

Normal is an individual thought. We say that we are not normal while we say others are. In other words, "normality" does not exist. We are all unique in one way or another. There is no such thing as being "normal".

Jovan said:
Yet the guys who label me as that aren't, well: Car nerds, sports nerds, etc.

They're real men.

For good or for bad, we are tribal. I say leave everyone alone, but that's never gonna happen. Personally, i think there is some one (more than one, many) out there for each style/look/fashion/whatever who can carry it off with such style and panache that it looks outstanding. However, others feel that if you're not one fo the tribe you are prime game for the hunting. Not with us, against us?

You remember what your mothers used to say: "they're just jealous"? Well, she wasn't quite right: They're just insecure. They (those who label, those who feel the overwhelming need to stomp upon someone "different") should go see a proper psychoanalyst. 5 times a week for as long as it takes. Man, people've got some issues.

bk

Novella

Practically Family
Baron Kurtz said:
For good or for bad, we are tribal. I say leave everyone alone, but that's never gonna happen. Personally, i think there is some one (more than one, many) out there for each style/look/fashion/whatever who can carry it off with such style and panache that it looks outstanding. However, others feel that if you're not one fo the tribe you are prime game for the hunting. Not with us, against us?

"One desperate attempt after another to find something in common with someone else and then cling. “Hey, you have ten fingers, I have ten fingers, let's be friends. We'll make rules and slogans. Then if we find someone with nine fingers, we can beat the crap out of them.”
- George, Dead Like Me

slicedbread

A-List Customer
Novella said:
"One desperate attempt after another to find something in common with someone else and then cling. “Hey, you have ten fingers, I have ten fingers, let's be friends. We'll make rules and slogans. Then if we find someone with nine fingers, we can beat the crap out of them.”
- George, Dead Like Me

I love it. wait a second, you're a girl. LETS GET 'ER

Rooster

Practically Family
I've been different my whole life. You get used to it after a while. I'll be fifty in June and doubt my second fifty years will be any less wierd than my first fifty years. No big deal.[huh]
Basically I've never cared much what others thought of me because of how I act or what I wear. I have always done what makes me happy.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Baron Kurtz said:
You remember what your mothers used to say: "they're just jealous"? Well, she wasn't quite right: They're just insecure. They (those who label, those who feel the overwhelming need to stomp upon someone "different") should go see a proper psychoanalyst. 5 times a week for as long as it takes. Man, people've got some issues.

bk

Yet we sit here calling folks 'hippies' and trendies and all manner of things and stomp on them for not wearing what we wear...I could go pull that out of lots of threads here.

Suppose that makes us insecure and issue ridden as well.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
America's great influence over the last 35 years has been informality. T-shirts and jeans and the similar informal trends have become the new uniform of conformity much like the fatigues and caps of China's Cultural Revolution. The great societal pressure to conform is not much different from the governmental pressures and laws to do so in other regimes in the sense that their net effects are equal.

There is no applicable relativism between the two groups in that the conformists rule the aesthetic. Those who run contrary to this steam show a heroic strength toward self-expression and should be commended and celebrated. I am happy that we celebrate those who enjoy the look of the Golden Era here at The Fedora Lounge. :)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Miss Neecerie said:
Yet we sit here calling folks 'hippies' and trendies and all manner of things and stomp on them for not wearing what we wear...I could go pull that out of lots of threads here.

Suppose that makes us insecure and issue ridden as well.
Part of the human condition for everybody sometimes, I would say.

griffer

Practically Family
A waiter last night made a point of complimenting me on my style.

He is an old school, professional waiter who worked at the Derby, I think, and is now in 'retirement' picking up shifts at my favorite pub.

I stopped off for a pint with my heavily tattoed barbershop owning friend after a day in New York, and my city attire started a discussion of how well 'turned-out' I was.

Long and short of it, this waiter made a point of saying that he remmebered every hat I worn in there, and most recently my new Art original, even though I was lidless last night. Then.....he said I reminded him of a young Jacki Gleason; always impeccably dressed. I swear. For the record I look NOTHING like Gleason.

Anyway, I felt overly complimented, but it makes the point that simply making an effort to dress well sets one apart these days.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I am certain that everyone here has not only been labeled, but labeled others as well. Perhaps they may have done so in more private avenues than the boards here, but I do not feel it is wrong to have opinions. In fact, that is what truly makes us individuals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen