Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

We're different

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
We label, we brand, we categorize, pigeonhole and stereotype. Up to a certain point, it's natural to do so.

When it becomes a problem is when we do it too easily and take it too seriously.

I try to keep it light (or at least darkly humorous), and to target socially cohesive groups instead of ethnicities, classes, or individuals.

It was a lot worse back in the day when your physical well being sometimes depended on sticking to your block, neighborhood, creed or color.

griffer

Practically Family
But if we don't label, how are we supposed to differentiate between 'Us' and 'Them'?

Heavens, what would 'They' think if 'They' thought we were one of 'Those'?

'We' know 'They' just don't understand or get it, so watch out for 'Their' kind.

Studies have shown it takes a higher level of cognition to identify similarities; developmentally, we find differences earliest.
Mom<>Dad.
Jack<>Jill.
Milk<>Water.
Patchouli<>Perfume.
Macramé<>Clothing.
Hippies<>High Self Esteem.

See, Hippy-aversion/differentiation is so basic, it's practically pre-natal.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Nature

I think classifying is an innately human trait. We love to build boxes and stuff things into them. Our sciences are built upon it. Look at biological classifications or the good old Periodic Table. Humans love to classify things. We even get confused if things won't stay in those boxes we built. Darn light! Sometimes it acts like a particle and sometimes it acts like a wave... What are we to do with it??

That doesn't mean it's a good thing, or that it should be encouraged. I think humans are innately violent too. If Baby A has a toy Baby B wants, Baby B is going to go smack Baby A and try to take the toy away. It's natural, but we don't encourage it. It comes from the ancient days where we had to kill our own food, and fend off those who wanted to take our food since they didn't have any. Though it's natural, we try not to do that today. At least, I assume nobody here runs up and pulls the driver out of "that sweet car" when it goes by....:eek:

Being tribal gives us a sense of security. We do want to fit in, desperately. Historically speaking, if you didn't, you died. And even though we civilized FL members may try not to be cliquey, it happens. I think as long as we are aware of this trait, and that it can harm others, we can control it pretty successfully if we try.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
I am the same...

Difference implies a comparison, presumably with other items in what would be expected to be in the same category. In other words, a peer group. Now, when I compare my habits, predelictions and affectations with those of my peer group, I am the same.

I love steam trains and ocean liners and aeroplanes with propellors. I don't own a mobile 'phone or PDA. I watch black and white films and read avidly about WW2 and 1930s aviation. I raise my hat to ladies, kiss their hands and hold doors for them. I like to wear formal suits and overcoats, trilby and Homburg hats, grey flannels and blazers, detachable collar shirts, silk ties and hand-made shoes.

Just like 90% of my large circle of friends. So I am the same. How is this?
The answer is my age. I grew up in the 1940s when all of the above were normal. Like most of my circle of male friends (many of whom are septo- or octogenarians) I now do as a man what I aspired to as a boy.

So, you are different, I am the same.

Just a point.

Alan

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
Joie DeVive said:
I think classifying is an innately human trait. We love to build boxes and stuff things into them. Our sciences are built upon it. Look at biological classifications or the good old Periodic Table. Humans love to classify things. We even get confused if things won't stay in those boxes we built. Darn light! Sometimes it acts like a particle and sometimes it acts like a wave... What are we to do with it??

That doesn't mean it's a good thing, or that it should be encouraged. I think humans are innately violent too. If Baby A has a toy Baby B wants, Baby B is going to go smack Baby A and try to take the toy away. It's natural, but we don't encourage it. It comes from the ancient days where we had to kill our own food, and fend off those who wanted to take our food since they didn't have any. Though it's natural, we try not to do that today. At least, I assume nobody here runs up and pulls the driver out of "that sweet car" when it goes by....:eek:

Being tribal gives us a sense of security. We do want to fit in, desperately. Historically speaking, if you didn't, you died. And even though we civilized FL members may try not to be cliquey, it happens. I think as long as we are aware of this trait, and that it can harm others, we can control it pretty successfully if we try.

Well said.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Miss Neecerie said:
Maybe we should stop analysing things ...well besides armholes and cuts of suits that is...and leave the social analysis up to others.

Certainly easier then the constant go round of defining 'us' and then trying to compare the mytical 'us' to an even more mythical 'them'.

Well unless a sociology or cultural anthro student is here and wants to write a paper on it. lol

Well, I'm a sociology/criminology student, BUT I'M DONE WRITING MY PAPERS FOR THE SEMESTER!!!! lol

Sorry, have to find someone else. :p

rockyj

One of the Regulars
Bogart said "THE WHOLE WORLD IS....

Three drinks behind" I feel the same way in how I dress. Just waiting for the rest of the world to catch-up;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou