Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Were Servicepeople Allowed to Keep It?

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Dover AFB had a hole dug after WWII. The supply building was emptied out into the hole, surplus gear of all kinds went into that hole. The old retirees and vets around here saw it first hand. One guy even showed me where the hole was located... over an extended part of the runway go figure.

Gene

Practically Family
Same is true when the South Plains Army Airfield closed down after WWII. You can even spot where it is because it's the only place around a very arid climate where there is thick bushes and grass. Unfortunately, snakes like to hide out there and you'd need a backhoe to dig it all up.

When I was down there we walked the former base and found lots of old relics from the buildings, even found a SPAM key by the mess hall! The dry climate is good at preserving things, maybe one day I'll go back and we can at least try to dig something up!

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
When my dad returned from the Pacific, he was issued a "new" Army dress uniform to go home in, one which actually had the prongs on the side for a leather garrison belt (although they were no longer issued). My uncle, who out-processed GIs at the end of WWII, said that many of the latter kept the weapons that they picked up overseas. Regarding the modern Army, when I de-mobilized from Iraq, I was allowed to keep two of my four DCUs, belt, helmet cover, patrol cap, boonie hat, and all of my boots. (A buddy of mine was actually able to keep his helmet.) After finally discharging from the National Guard, I was allowed to keep all of my old BDUs, boots, garrison cap, and beret, as well as my two Class A uniforms and trench coat. (I paid for my Dress Blues, so I obviously kept them--now they're standard issue.)

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
What do folks do nowadays with things like that that they keep? I can see a dress uniform being a sentimental thing (are there occasions when these are worn again, weddings and the like, or is it considered in poor taste so to do following retirement from active service?), but basic combat or day to day wear? Is it much like the post WW2 period where they are worn as utilitarian garments, gardening, hiking and whatever?

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What do folks do nowadays with things like that that they keep? I can see a dress uniform being a sentimental thing (are there occasions when these are worn again, weddings and the like, or is it considered in poor taste so to do following retirement from active service?), but basic combat or day to day wear? Is it much like the post WW2 period where they are worn as utilitarian garments, gardening, hiking and whatever?
Hi

I'm sure that some of the veterans will have exact data, but my understanding of the "rules" is that if you RETIRED from the service, you can wear the dress uniform at weddings etc. If you were discharged prior to (in the US) twenty years, then you can't / at least aren't supposed to wear any uniform with insignia again. This applies to all uniforms, but it usually a dress uniform question I think. My Dad wore his wool pants out and tossed them, but is wool shirts from WW2 are in my basement. His service jacket is in pristine condition, I bet he wore it less than twice. He is a Pacific war veteran and wore only khaki's, HBT uniform, and HBT Coveralls.

Later

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Edward,
I enlisted in 83 when we had green fatigues. I retired in 05, BDUs. I put in a footlocker: My first fatigue uniform, 1 set BDUs, boots, field jacket, service dress uniform with ribbons, dress shoes, all of military records, pictures of service throughout the years, a headset used on the aircraft I flew and worked on, my first and last military ID,
my line badge(to get me on the flightline and other secure areas), a greasy set of coveralls, a flight suit and jacket with patches, Kevlar helmet, and a few other pieces of service that I thought should be saved.
Why? so in when I die my grandkids will know whose trash they are throwing away. Actually I would hope that my son and generations will keep the items. They are worth nothing now but if they survive, they would tell volumes about my service. Imagine opening up a footlocker from the civil war? Value would be in the high thousands to the collector.
To most it would be junk, I buy footlockers and surplus from families all the time. Grand pa died and know one wants his stuff. Bummer I hope my son keeps mine.
All my old field gear, web belts uniforms and such went to kids to hunt in and play in.

Last edited:

WH1

Practically Family
Hi

I'm sure that some of the veterans will have exact data, but my understanding of the "rules" is that if you RETIRED from the service, you can wear the dress uniform at weddings etc. If you were discharged prior to (in the US) twenty years, then you can't / at least aren't supposed to wear any uniform with insignia again. This applies to all uniforms, but it usually a dress uniform question I think. My Dad wore his wool pants out and tossed them, but is wool shirts from WW2 are in my basement. His service jacket is in pristine condition, I bet he wore it less than twice. He is a Pacific war veteran and wore only khaki's, HBT uniform, and HBT Coveralls.
Later

From Marine Corps Order P1020.34G
Department of Defense uniform regulations state "Former Members of the Armed Forces. Unless qualified under another
provision of this Order or under the provisions of 10 U.S.C. 772, former
members who served honorably during a declared or undeclared war and whose
most recent service was terminated under honorable conditions may wear the
uniform in the highest grade held during such war service only upon the
following occasions and in the course of travel incident thereto:
(1) Military funerals, memorial services, weddings, and inaugurals.
(2) Parades on national or state holidays; or other parades or
ceremonies of a patriotic character in which any active or reserve United
States military unit are taking part. ‘Wearing of the uniform or any part
thereof at any other time or for any purpose is prohibited.’
c. Medal of Honor Holders. Persons who have been awarded the Medal of
Honor may wear the uniform at their pleasure except under the circumstances
set forth in Subsection a., above."

Bullwinkle

New in Town
I was drafted in 1968 and discharged at Ft Lewis Nov of 1970. During processing out I was issued a tailored dress uniform with all the correct insignia, trench coat and dress shoes. I kept my boots I had worn in RVN and a brand new pair of boots. I kept several pairs of camo jungle shirts and pants and a field jacket. Tossed everything else. I had mailed home a few of the quilted camo poncho liners as they were in big demand. I also mailed home a RoK tiger stripe uniform I haqd traded for.

dakotanorth

Practically Family
My grandfather was in the USAAF- he said when he "got to go home" they asked for his Gov't .45, all of the film reels from his plane, and that's it.
Clothing, shoes, dogtags, etc didn't matter.

Monsoon

A-List Customer
Well, I was wrong. Seems that when I retire from my squadron, all I have to give back is my goretex jacket. I can keep my flightsuits, flight jackets, etc.

Monsoon

A-List Customer
I am surprised they want your goretex back.

It's the cost. They can reissue that, and when I asked about flight gear, they said that when someone separates, they have to turn it in. Guys that retire can keep it.

Now, tell me, what the heck am I gonna do with 8 flight suits and four flight jackets? LOL! Guess I can sell them on Ebay when I get older to buy Alpo. I don't care what anyone says, Alpo is pretty good, once you get use to the cheese they put into it.

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
My father brought his uniform home. He wore his khakis to work at the rail road until they finally wore out. He wore his Class A uniform pants as dress pants to Church and I have his Class A blouse. It is now on temporary loan to our County's Military Museum. He was in the 13th "Jungle" Air Force in the South and South West Pacific from 1943 to 1946.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto