Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wesco Boot Thread.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Can’t believe with times like that they don’t expand their capacity? Their boots are nice. Their not unicorn hide on a space alien last. Nothing about them imho is worth more than a 90 day wait.

Gone

New in Town
Baker's Boots is showing Wesco wait time as 18-20 months.

That is brutal
I don't know the inner workings, but it seems like they ought to focus on direct customers rather then collaborations and stockists until they get caught up. I wouldn't be surprised if they actually take more than 18-20 months

Gone

New in Town
Can’t believe with times like that they don’t expand their capacity? Their boots are nice. Their not unicorn hide on a space alien last. Nothing about them imho is worth more than a 90 day wait.
The reviews I've read on the glass door say they don't pay employees very well and there's almost no chance for upward mobility. The video on youtube by rose anvil shows the materials are not great, such as cardboard in the heel spacers.

Modified_last_call

Familiar Face
The big problem seems to be related to the lack of qualified bootmakers and the reluctance and difficulty of finding new hires.
I listened to the Stitchdown Shoecast with Eric Kinney, who runs White's boots.
They are having a big problem finding workers to train for this profession.
It's hard, backbreaking work. Young people don't want to work in these positions.

This is one of the reasons that White's has gone to a stitchdown option for their boots.
It takes a lot less time and less skill to make a stitchdown boot than their handwelted construction. They don't have enough qualified workers to complete the labor intensive handwelting process that White's uses. Stitchdown looks cleaner, with a nice clean welt.
Spokane has a well established boot making community with many different brands and White's can't seem to find enough workers.
I can't imagine that it's any easier in Scappoose Oregon to find workers that want to take on this physical profession.
It's so bad for Wesco that the last time I was on their website, the main page had a link for employment opportunities. That's pretty desperate. As I write this, the website is down.
I hope Wesco can find a solution. I like all of the PNW boots, and I would like all of them to keep their traditions going strong.
Btw, I ordered a pair of White's on Dec 1, 2022. Haven't heard a peep on their production

mlwdp

Familiar Face
Well, I love my Boss boot, which was bought and shipped before the long lead times.

Wesco also resoled with Dr. Sole. Buckles by Fukushi (sp).

Black Chromexcel. They used to look beat up until I treated them with Collonil 1909 polish.

The Romeo are based on the Roller Magazine collaboration, exact to the T except without the Roller watermark on the insole. They’re my beaters, treated with Black Rock polish.

81D80A0A-EFE4-4ABC-956C-F19CBBF98D9A.jpeg

E191F666-9348-42C8-B9AC-EACA538C8461.jpeg

Last edited:

Goel

A-List Customer
Well, I love my Boss boot, which was bought and shipped before the long lead times.

Wesco also resoled with Dr. Sole. Buckles by Fukushi (sp).

Black Chromexcel. They used to look beat up until I treated them with Collonil 1909 polish.

The Romeo are based on the Roller Magazine collaboration, exact to the T except without the Roller watermark on the insole. They’re my beaters, treated with Black Rock polish.

View attachment 524609

View attachment 524611
Did you have the uppers lined? The lining they use is some of the nicest I've felt, it's hard to go back to unlined boots.

I like Wesco the most of all makers I've tried as their last + removable insole works the best for my feet so the long wait time really sucks. I was considering giving Nicks a try but their customization is very limited as are their leather choices. For anyone that's worn Wesco's engineer boots, did you go with the same size as your lace up boots? That's what I was told to do, I also went with a narrower shaft and supplied a soft leather to hopefully making taking it on/off easier.

mlwdp

Familiar Face
Did you have the uppers lined? The lining they use is some of the nicest I've felt, it's hard to go back to unlined boots.

I like Wesco the most of all makers I've tried as their last + removable insole works the best for my feet so the long wait time really sucks. I was considering giving Nicks a try but their customization is very limited as are their leather choices. For anyone that's worn Wesco's engineer boots, did you go with the same size as your lace up boots? That's what I was told to do, I also went with a narrower shaft and supplied a soft leather to hopefully making taking it on/off easier.
Yes my boss boot is leather lined in back because the first two Boss boots were literally cutting into my leg (I have the scars). It definitely feels different and gets hotter in the summer.

My greatest mistake is with the first boss boot I did, a MP toe in Horween Horsehide when Horween was the main choice. I believe Horween is still backed up and no longer doing Horsehide hence why Wesco does Maryam now I think. They were too narrow and scraping the top of toe. Should have gotten them in e width not D width. I had them widened and later sold them. What was cool about them is that I had special half soles on them (forgot the type) and had brass roller buckles from Iron Heart put on them. They were real beauties to look at the thought. To this day, still kicking myself that I didn’t get the vintage triple stitching on them because I forgot about it.

The second Horween Horsehide one I did was very ugly but did have the triple vintage stitching. Didn’t like how they looked, and had the crepe sole on them. 9 inch inspired by The Shop Vancouver’s green Chromexcel version.

But the worst mistake of all time was a triple sole White’s smokejumper boot in black Bullhide. They felt like metal clogs, inspired by Japan websites. Sold those long ago.

Anyway, here’s the two that have been sold. Both didn’t have leather linings btw.

3F65D5D7-DB37-44A1-872D-953ADF3B0D9A.jpeg
198FCED5-78D9-43B1-A0CC-DFD7209F2860.jpeg

Last edited:

mlwdp

Familiar Face
Regarding sizing for Nicks, Wesco, White’s, PNW boot companies, I highly recommend going to a retailer that stocks them that can measure/trace your feet or having a trusted person such as someone whose good with measurements like a carpenter or shoe cobbler do them. I got real lucky and had a White’s boot retailer in North Carolina do my tracings and sizing. DM me if you need the name. It’s worth the trek if you’re in the area and need some barbecue.

Goel

A-List Customer
Yes my boss boot is leather lined in back because the first two Boss boots were literally cutting into my leg (I have the scars). It definitely feels different and gets hotter in the summer.

My greatest mistake is with the first boss boot I did, a MP toe in Horween Horsehide when Horween was the main choice. I believe Horween is still backed up and no longer doing Horsehide hence why Wesco does Maryam now I think. They were too narrow and scraping the top of toe. Should have gotten them in e width not D width. I had them widened and later sold them. What was cool about them is that I had special half soles on them (forgot the type) and had brass roller buckles from Iron Heart put on them. They were real beauties to look at the thought. To this day, still kicking myself that I didn’t get the vintage triple stitching on them because I forgot about it.

The second Horween Horsehide one I did was very ugly but did have the triple vintage stitching. Didn’t like how they looked, and had the crepe sole on them. 9 inch inspired by The Shop Vancouver’s green Chromexcel version.

But the worst mistake of all time was a triple sole White’s smokejumper boot in black Bullhide. They felt like metal clogs, inspired by Japan websites. Sold those long ago.

Anyway, here’s the two that have been sold. Both didn’t have leather linings btw.

View attachment 526021 View attachment 526022
Yeah, the high heel MP1339 last runs a bit narrow so an E width fits more like a typical D. The low heel MP95 last is the opposite and fits a bit wide. I love the look of their engineers though, so I hope the wait is worth it. Was that wedge sole a double midsole?

Colin G

One Too Many
I ordered black horsehide lace to toe job masters Jan 7, 2022. I just received my ship notice from Baker's today. Two days ago I emailed Baker's saying to cancel my order and refund me if my boots have not shipped from Wesco yet. At time of order it was around a 14 week wait.

Jasonissm

Practically Family
I was in between ordering a made to order engineer from Wesco or going for an in-stock boot, very glad I went with stock considering the lead times, and also that was the time their MTO stuff kept coming out with poor QC. Also I got my sizing wrong and it was a quick exchange, if I went custom only to get a wrong size, that'd be painful

Still they are my most worn boot in the past year or so.

jglf

A-List Customer
I ordered mine April 22, so I guess 3 months to go. I asked for a change to my order a month ago and was told it was too late, so I assume they sew the uppers and then they sit for months before bottoming?
I ordered black horsehide lace to toe job masters Jan 7, 2022. I just received my ship notice from Baker's today. Two days ago I emailed Baker's saying to cancel my order and refund me if my boots have not shipped from Wesco yet. At time of order it was around a 14 week wait.

DanielPetmr

New in Town
I thought I would start a Wesco only thread, any model you like. I got some engineers, then saw a Whites semi dress thread, a work boot thread etc. not sure where to put my other pair, so I thought, a Wesco thread for all things Wesco related might be an easy thread research.
Anyway, got these in the post on Thursday, bought through Bakers, about 17 weeks. Was getting very antsy indeed waiting.
Wesco jobmaster/packer hybrid. I saw them on Wesco Facebook, and just asked them to replicate them.
Size 13EE,domain brown, single midsole, mini lug half sole, kiltys,brogue toe cap. I wanted vibram 430, but they don't do them in my width.
View attachment 18702
View attachment 18703
View attachment 18704
View attachment 18705 Hoy en día, el comercio electrónico ha experimentado un crecimiento extraordinario a nivel global, y Perú no se queda atrás en esta tendencia. Por eso, plataformas como PayPal se han vuelto esenciales para llevar a cabo transacciones en línea de forma segura y ágil. Sin embargo paypal comisiones perú, ¿cómo podemos determinar cuánto costará realizar una transacción con PayPal en Perú? En este artículo, te proporcionamos una guía completa sobre la Calculadora PayPal Peru.
Wesco's are great! I haven't been a fan of lace-to-toe in the past, but your pair looks awesome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21