Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wested vs us wings Indy jackets

abbaralph

One of the Regulars
I am considering ordering a wested legacy raiders lambskin jacket or a us wings striated lamskin Indy style jacket that is supposed to age fast and is usa made (would love anyone’s experience with that) does anyone have experience with both or opinions on the matter? Not really concerned too much with screen accuracy, mostly best looking jacket, best made and anything else anyone feels is relevant. Thanks!

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wested will be more screen-accurate, US Wings will be a more rugged jacket (made by Schott and with less delicate leathers).

The length of the US Wings keeps me from getting it… but on the other hand, it's there for a reason. (The jacket was made for the stuntmen who do a live Indiana Jones show at Disneyland or something, and they needed the length extended.)

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I suggest that you get it from Wested and pay a bit extra for custom sleeve length, all-cotton lining, choice of hide, etc. It'll still cost MUCH less than the off-the-rack US Wings.

I've been wearing my lambskin Raiders jacket for 20 years and it's still going strong as my "summer weight" leather. (*) Besides, it's their premiere product and they really know how to make these things well for very reasonable prices.

I got a goatskin Wings Indy on sale at one point... and immediately gave it to a friend. Its generic XL sizing didn't fit me well at all, and it had much less character than the Wested. It felt like an average factory product: the goatskin was tough but plasticky, the acetate lining tough but industrial-feeling. (And as always with off-the-rack stuff, I would have immediately needed to pay a tailor take up the sleeves.) On the plus side, it was tougher than the film-wardrobe lambskin Wested, essentially constructed as a military/moto jacket that's vaguely styled like an Indy. My friend's worn the hell out of it for nearly 15 years.

(* True, lambskin isn't the strongest leather: the big back panel on mine once got torn. Wested repaired it perfectly FOR FREE, including the return shipping. Now THAT's customer service!)

So really, it boils down to whether generic sizing works for you, and/or whether you want a tougher Indy-ish jacket or the specialty product of an English artisan shop.

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
I've had two 2nd hand Wested Indy's both were actually very nice for the price paid, but as was alluded too above the sizing can be tricky. if you can go custom at Wested I don't think you'll be disappointed.
the second hand market can be a great place for trial and errror as you can often enough find a jacket in your size as well as flip it back to the market place if it doesnt work out fairly quickly and with minimum loss of $

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner