Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

rclark

Call Me a Cab
I got this Bailey Marfa from the Frontier Collection a number of years ago. I hardly ever wear it but decided to wear it for a bit today.

B817C65B-5EBF-47CB-9526-1D574F3909CF_zpsfpjxgur6.jpg

2A040E73-4F7E-4994-BC5E-52C131857B65_zpsnebeffiu.jpg

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Already looking the part of Indiana Jones in these earlier appearances, Harrison Ford was The Firsco Kid, 1979, and before hitting the big time he was a "guest-star" on the T.V. western, Gunsmoke.

Western Indy.jpg

Western Indy Gunsmoke.jpg

Last edited:

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
The first ones work now. The second ones don't work. Maybe we have to wait for the server to process the pictures?
I think I have the Gunsmoke TV Show on DVD.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Hmmmm....I edited my Original post with those pics and I can see them. Can you see those on your end? I can also click on the attachments in my response and they come up. Are those coming up on your end now?

Crazy Dave

Familiar Face
My western hat, now mostly for stage use. Used to wear that thing every dy to work. Always disliked the crease on this one, so after someone posted a vid of Roy Rogers shaping his son's hat, I changed it quite radically. I'll post some pics later.
1525653_10152134832845831_326034642_n.jpg

Crazy Dave

Familiar Face
Promised some pics, here they are. You guys are driving me crazy, I used to own one hat, and now I have five and an 8 panel cap, and thinking about buying more :eusa_doh:(I know, ain't no big thing compared to many of you). I sure wouldn't have dreamed of reshaping a hat like that a while ago. :eeek:

Anyway, this is my attempt at making this hat ok for me to wear. Always felt as if I hadn't earned the right to wear it, due to the rodeo bash. I'm not a cowboy, and the one horse I ever rode seemed bigger than an elephant to me. This shape is more in line with what many rock 'n roll musicians wear, and I've sure earned the right to wear one of those.
DSC_1758.jpg

DSC_1763.jpg

DSC_1761.jpg

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Promised some pics, here they are. You guys are driving me crazy, I used to own one hat, and now I have five and an 8 panel cap, and thinking about buying more :eusa_doh:(I know, ain't no big thing compared to many of you). I sure wouldn't have dreamed of reshaping a hat like that a while ago. :eeek:

Looks nice with the new bash. The only thing I don't go is with feathers on hats. I only have one with a feather... and it's still there don't know why.
I used to have 2 hats, a Stetson I wore everyday, rain or sunshine for 4 years and a Resistol that ended in a box because was a bit tight. Since I started searching for 50's, 60's, 70's hats I lost track of how many I have. I think I can wear one different everyday that by the end of the month I didn't wear them all.

viclip

Practically Family

Anyway, this is my attempt at making this hat ok for me to wear. Always felt as if I hadn't earned the right to wear it, due to the rodeo bash. I'm not a cowboy, and the one horse I ever rode seemed bigger than an elephant to me. This shape is more in line with what many rock 'n roll musicians wear, and I've sure earned the right to wear one of those.

I like the way you flattened the brim. As in your case, it would be difficult for me to wear a full-fledged upturned brimmed western hat in my locale, unless I was visiting my stepfather's hobby farm where the country/western look rules. Your brim looks at least 3" wide, which would provide needed protection against elements especially the sun's harmful rays. Personally I prefer feathers except with thin-ribboned Open Road type hats; your ribbon appears to be of medium height & while I'd likely sport a feather therein, I'd be tempted to use a smaller more traditional one as typically made for men's fedoras.

barrowjh

One Too Many
Crazy Dave, I like it ok, its for stage performances and the bold white feather is right, in that context. You did a fair job with the telescope crown from what I can see, hard to tell with black felt. Looks like you have a full kettle curl at brim edge, but again, hard to see. Looks great.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Just got this real nice gift in the mail last night from a good friend of mine and fellow Lounger, Kingrat. It's "The Cowboy Hat Book". I really like this one...It shows a lot of vintage Westerns and Western hats from old movies...

Cowboy Hats.jpg

Cowboy Hat 02.jpg

Cowboy Hat 03.jpg

FrankMc

Familiar Face
I have a Stetson Gus cowboy hat that I wear often, and a Stetson Lonesome Trail crusher, great hats. I also have Ritch Rand's "The Cowboy Hat Book" that I recommend to folks that love hats and fedoras.

Crazy Dave

Familiar Face
Thanks for all the kind comments. Joao, I don't like feathers either unless they're outrageous like this one. Aside from being a small tribute to SRV, it also makes it look vaguely like a musketeer's hat, which is a very European thing. East and West coming together in Rock 'n Roll, I like that. :cool:

Viclip and Barrowjh, the brim is 4", this is a really big hat to be wearing around Brussels. I didn't flatten the brim completely, kept the curl it had in the back, and smoothed it out towards the front. Used steam and the kitchen counter like I'd seen hatters do on youtube. It's not totally flat like SRV's famous hat, but a bit "wavy". I did my best on the telescope crown, but you can see it was either home-bashed or just worn a lot. There are some dents on the top I just can't get out with the tools I have, being my hands and a kettle...

Landman, it's a Texas Hat Store (Houston) 7X Beaver, which I got cheap off ebay. It may well be my best hat. The felt is very nice, and it doesn't care what weather it is at all. I wore this every day for about a year until I got my Akubras.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24