Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

Justdog

Practically Family
Felt

feltfan said:
I'd take a nutria, Nutria Quality, or Clear Nutria hat over just about
any beaver hat I've ever had. This is partly because they aren't
made anymore, partly because they are amazingly strong felt. Not
a dress hat, but a classy hat that will serve you for a very long time
in any conditions.

If that hat's big enough, maybe we should trade...

Definitely substantial felt. Not made any more why not seems there is an abundance of material;)

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Justdog said:
Definitely substantial felt. Not made any more why not seems there is an abundance of material;)
Which is good news for the gators I saw in the Louisiana swamps.
Those nutria move FAST... or else.

Not that the web site helps much, but as I recall, Optimo
offers some nutria blend felts. So someone still makes them.
Probably not of the same caliber, however.

And 7 1/4 is just too darn small!

carter

I'll Lock Up
Justdog said:
Nutria2.jpg

Nutria Quality? Not sure what that means. Have been looking for the rundown on the difference between beaver and clear beaver nutria and clear nutria.
This is thick sturdy but not stiff felt on this hat. Been trying different bashes and have currently put it into an old gus style. Nice hat overall but not beaver quality.

Nutria Quality can mean anything from there is a % of Nutria fur in the felt to no nutria fur in the felt but the maker has put a nutria finish on the hat. You'd have to get information from the seller to know what this particular nutria quality means (if they have any idea).

Clear Nutria is 100% Nutria fur felt.

Clear Beaver is 100% Beaver fur felt. Some folks say it's 100% belly fur.

Beaver Quality is all over the place as we all know from all those X's used differently by all those manufacturers.

Justdog

Practically Family
carter said:
Nutria Quality can mean anything from there is a % of Nutria fur in the felt to no nutria fur in the felt but the maker has put a nutria finish on the hat. You'd have to get information from the seller to know what this particular nutria quality means (if they have any idea).

Clear Nutria is 100% Nutria fur felt.

Clear Beaver is 100% Beaver fur felt. Some folks say it's 100% belly fur.

Beaver Quality is all over the place as we all know from all those X's used differently by all those manufacturers.

Thanks. So is a Stet 100 pure beaver felt if it does not say clear beaver?
I do notice a difference in the feel of clear beaver , it is rich and soft.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Justdog said:
Thanks. So is a Stet 100 pure beaver felt if it does not say clear beaver?
I do notice a difference in the feel of clear beaver , it is rich and soft.
A Stetson 100 cost $100.00 when it was originally sold. Price vs felt composition may not be accurate comparisons.

I do not have a Stetson 100 but my guess is that it is not 100% beaver felt if it does not state Clear Beaver on the sweatband and/or the liner.

I have a Stetson 5X Clear Beaver that is not a Stetson 100. It is stamped "Clear Beaver" on the sweatband and reads "Clear Beaver Quality" on the liner. I do not know what it cost originally.

Justdog

Practically Family
Nutria rebash

Think I found a bash that this hat seems to like. The felt is so pliable and substantial it takes this bash well. Still the back is 6 inches tall even creasing it deep.
Nutria3.jpg

Easy to pinch it on and off.

Justdog

Practically Family

Justdog

Practically Family
Beaver

carter said:
A Stetson 100 cost $100.00 when it was originally sold. Price vs felt composition may not be accurate comparisons.

I do not have a Stetson 100 but my guess is that it is not 100% beaver felt if it does not state Clear Beaver on the sweatband and/or the liner.

I have a Stetson 5X Clear Beaver that is not a Stetson 100. It is stamped "Clear Beaver" on the sweatband and reads "Clear Beaver Quality" on the liner. I do not know what it cost originally.

I kind of had that feeling , that the 100 did not have 10x,s on it and did not say clear beaver as well. My 7x is Clear Beaver. It is extremely soft to the touch.
The 100 is also just incredible and soft. Not being an expert it is very difficult to determine where they were going with it content and felt wise unless someone can be more definitive.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Justdog, There are some members here who may be able to provide more definitive information. Jimmy the Lid, Brad Bowers, Dinerman, and Lefty come to mind on my short list. This is one of those threads where HATCO may be able to shed more light on the subject. I hope one or more of these folks weigh in. Happy Holidays, Carter

just_me

Practically Family
Rooster said:
I don't care for the modern, country singer western hats, but I do like hats like Rooster's and some of the older style hats that have been posted in this thread or some of the hats in old western movies.

I guess I must have liked western hats at one time, because I wore this when when I was about 12.
lol

jan_about12.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
:arated:
While Douglas can pull off any number of looks, nobody looks more at home in a western than Rooster - though you made a cute cowgirl.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic