Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

Daoud

One of the Regulars
This is sort of a quasi-western hat I reckon- I recently got this Snowy River and immediately came to the conclusion that I did not like the low crown at all.

swordandhats019.jpg

So I fixed it up with this look- the hat is not really tall enough to do a real Montana crease but I think it looks good and it definitely fits my head a lot better- I like a hat that I can jam down on my head when the wind blows!

Cricket

Practically Family
I love this thread. It reminds me of my grandfather. He would wear Western hats a lot. He had a few older, worn ones that he wore while working in the garden or other outdoor activities. Then he had a nicer, more polished one that he would wear into town. In fact, when he approached my grandmother's house to speak to her parents about marriage, he was wearing a new Western hat that he had bought in town a few hours before. It is funny that the purchase of a new hat was made soon after the ring.

carter

I'll Lock Up
7 1/8 STETSON Western - Nutria w/ Bound Edge

I posted this in the Ebay thread but have to share it with our Western fans. What do you folks who really follow and are knowledgable about westerns think of this one?

Here is the listing description:

"Rural Colorado estate item from the 1920s? 1930s? Has 31/2" brim and 6" tall crown Vintage Size 7 1/8 STETSON COWBOY HAT Sold by Western Ranchman Outfitters, 210 W. Sixteenth St., Cheyenne Wyoming has unusual bound edge - the binding is all on the underside of the brim - the brim binding ribbon matches the 6-ply hatband. The sweat band is brittle & cracked & has a faint owners name. The felt is really nice with one small soft place at the back of the crease. Under the sweatband there are 2 John B. Stetson Philadelphia PA stickers. Liner is about good - its the red shirted mounted cowboy with text "Stetson Nutria" underneath. Nice vintage Stetson w/ Cheyenne, Wyoming provenance. "

3vinstetson.JPG

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
That hat has been on ebay for longer than any other hat that comes up with my usual searches. I don't want anyone to buy it. It represents stability in my little world. ;)

carter

I'll Lock Up
Loss of stability in an unstable world.

Lefty said:
That hat has been on ebay for longer than any other hat that comes up with my usual searches. I don't want anyone to buy it. It represents stability in my little world. ;)

OOPS! [huh] ;) :)

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Randooch, thanks! I think. lol Sounds like you're on the right track. I'd probably keep buying more if not for having exhausted credible means for keeping them organized and somewhat safely stored.

Tinmanzzz, I like that avatar! Cool.

carter

I'll Lock Up
the Tipi

Here's one from the Stetson American Buffalo Collection. The color looks close to Pewter to me. The crease is hand-done. The hat was kind of floppy when I found it in a stack of [mostly] black Buffalo felt hats.

3059422765_30d123be8b.jpg

I picked it up at the HATCO Outlet in Garland. Buffalo Fur Felt is quite substantial if not downright heavy. My guess is that this hat will take a beating and come back for more. Not a Sunday go to Meetin' kind of hat but a workhorse.

kokopelli

One of the Regulars
I like that hat:eusa_clap Ron

carter said:
Here's one from the Stetson American Buffalo Collection. The color looks close to Pewter to me. The crease is hand-done. The hat was kind of floppy when I found it in a stack of [mostly] black Buffalo felt hats.

3059422765_30d123be8b.jpg

I picked it up at the HATCO Outlet in Garland. Buffalo Fur Felt is quite substantial if not downright heavy. My guess is that this hat will take a beating and come back for more. Not a Sunday go to Meetin' kind of hat but a workhorse.

Great Thread

Excellent hats to all. Read the entire thread & know this one is going to cost me $$$. I have some western hats that I need to get photos of. This is me at a western themed office party riding a mechanical bull wearing a custom hat by Shorty of OKC, pure beaver, cattleman crease with 4" brim.
ECLP200611.jpg

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Carter, you amaze me. It seems like you can rock any style lid out there without a blink. :eusa_clap

I finally made a "western" plunge. I'm waiting on a "special order" gray Akubra Longreach. I'm planning to wear it in snow and ice storms and gradually curl up the brim through handling.

portolan

A-List Customer
Thanksgiving in Chihuahua

Today I am wearing everyone's favorite hat down here - a Resistol Brownstone. I can't tell you all the things I have been offered for this hat....no really, I can't tell you.......

Here also is the view up the river from our patio on this beautiful Thanksgiving day. Beautiful place to spend Thanksgiving!

Resistol.jpg

river.jpg

carter

I'll Lock Up
Not-Bogart13 said:
Carter, you amaze me. It seems like you can rock any style lid out there without a blink. :eusa_clap

Thanks. I'll blame this on my parents.
;) :)

Not-Bogart13 said:
I finally made a "western" plunge. I'm waiting on a "special order" gray Akubra Longreach. I'm planning to wear it in snow and ice storms and gradually curl up the brim through handling.

Not-Bogart13, Not a bad choice...but, I'd suggest starting with an Open Crown country/western hat so you can see what really works for you. I think you can handle a big hat that you crease by hand. In addition to the Campdraft, Akubra makes three Open Crown country/western hats that I like specifically because they are Open Crown.

hat_Silver_Spur.jpg
Silver Spur Imperial Quality (a BIG hat that you can work with)
Colours: Santone Fawn, Black and Glen Grey (I'd go with the Glen Grey)
Description: It is wider brimmed open crown hat made for individual styling.

hat_Mexican.jpg
Mexican Imperial Quality (this hat is just :cool2:)
Colours: Steel Grey and Fawn (I'd go with the Steel Grey)
Description: Open crown hat with contrasting ribbon band and edge binding.

hat_Boss_of_the_Plains.jpg
Boss of the Plains Imperial Quality (an OR style that can handle a lot of different looks)
Colours: Sorrel Tan Fawn and Silver Belly (I'd go with the Sorrel Tan Fawn)
Description: Open crown hat with interior satin lining and ribbon band.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the advice, Carter. I considered most of those hats, and indeed I like open crown better. However, through trial and error I have learned that my brim width possibilities end a little under 3 inches, even with a curl. It defies most of what I know about matching hats to face and build, but I rarely seem to fit the expected mold. lol As for the Campdraft; too much crown with not enough ribbon. Personal taste. [huh]

I really like the steel gray Mexican, though. If only it had a narrower brim. :rage: Maybe one day I'll get one and have it modified.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic