Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
OK I surrender.
I really would like to see it in hand to feel how it is by the touch but I'm very very far...

I own 2 100% beaver cowboy hats, circa early 1950's. I think you might be disappointed. The felt is very compact & durable, but not really very pleasant to touch, and stiff. Kind of cardboard-like. Hopefully that will change with some alcohol to cut the lacquer. The 100% beaver dress hat I have is a dream, very soft & eminently shapable.

John Galt

Vendor
Well, I think it depends on the felting process. All of the 100% beaver cowboy hats I've seen, including the Stetson 100 I'm working on now, have been very tightly felted, and pretty stiff. The stiffness is mostly due to lacquer, but the tight felting appears to be how they were made. I am sure they will soften up if the lacquer is taken out, but the felt will still be compact. Perhaps that could be changed (the appearance & surface texture, at least) by pouncing, wire brushing, etc.

The dress hat has a very different felt - much looser & with longer fibers, resulting in a more familiar "hand," much like nutria.

Well, I think it depends on the felting process. All of the 100% beaver cowboy hats I've seen, including the Stetson 100 I'm working on now, have been very tightly felted, and pretty stiff. The stiffness is mostly due to lacquer, but the tight felting appears to be how they were made. I am sure they will soften up if the lacquer is taken out, but the felt will still be compact. Perhaps that could be changed (the appearance & surface texture, at least) by pouncing, wire brushing, etc.

The dress hat has a very different felt - much looser & with longer fibers, resulting in a more familiar "hand," much like nutria.

I think it depends on the era and fashion and tastes. Earlier cowboy hats were soft and flexible. The become firmer into the 1930s and 1940s and stiffen more in the 1950s. By the 1960s, they really took a good shellacking.

NewJack

Practically Family
Not as old as Alan's no.1, a 4x beaver Stetson.
20140421.jpg

This looks like my Resistol Stagecoach that is blue with matching red/blue trimming similar to yours, Joao!

Lando

Practically Family
14009712578_9f07480a98_c.jpg

Posted this in the Buckaroo thread, so go there for details, but I thought it was also at home on this thread.
100x Camel Buckaroo.

NewJack

Practically Family
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass