Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I'm also not a fan of those feather hatbands... and now I own 3.
If I could trade them for a hat...

What is the brim size of that brownie?
My 7 1/8 Stetson turned out to be a tight 7 1/4. Can wear it but of a short period of time.

ingineer

One Too Many
Rei Joao;
4 inch brim, 7-3/8" only a 3X ( i'm 7 1/2 in resistol) feathers will be removed ASAP.
Why , do you want it? i have 40 bucks into it w/shipment.
Richard

frussell

One Too Many
Jeff - take the back of the crown down a hair, and ignore the negative comments from the wide brim squad. That's what I like about cowboy hats, there's no rules, and they come in every shape and configuration under the sun. As a derby wearer, and with the right frame for the job, you can definitely pull it off. And don't worry, I've got a small collection of tiny brim westerns from when I first bought my brim cutter. Thankfully, most were about worn out, and weren't getting worn much anymore. Frank

John Galt

Vendor
Here's a fine new blue-grey 1950's Resistol Western I bought on eBay with some bad stains. A little Scout, brushing, a good hat sponging & recreasing, and it's looking good to me. What do you fellas think?

gy5aha4y.jpg

jaraguqy.jpg

baheqe4u.jpg

gusadygu.jpg

ytypuder.jpg

John Galt

Vendor
Thanks. I've never made one quite like this before, but I do have an old Stetson Nutria with a similar peak. The multiple-level gullet is my own flair. It had a box crown originally. I like the low-crown 50's hats, but I also like my hat to sit down a little further on my head than the box crease allowed, so I made a little head space ;-)

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Frank. I'll try that, just not sure how to lower the back effectively.
I never intended to cut that much off, but my hand slipped and so had to even out the rest of it. Joao, I did make a frankenderby once, as I purchased a derby from eBay that the seller didn't know was in two pieces. I don't think I kept it, though, because I'm poor with a needle and thread.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

NewJack

Practically Family
The felt on this hat is very close in quality to that of a dark chocolate Stetson Nutria that I own. My Nephew could never afford to buy a hat like this new. Me either, for that matter. I can't wait to present it to him.

Your nephew is a lucky guy! Oh! To be in his place!! :eusa_clap

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Rei Joao;
4 inch brim, 7-3/8" only a 3X ( i'm 7 1/2 in resistol) feathers will be removed ASAP.
Why , do you want it? i have 40 bucks into it w/shipment.
Richard

My size... it's a tempting proposal but I've blown my budget this month. Only if you can wait...

Jeff - take the back of the crown down a hair, and ignore the negative comments from the wide brim squad. That's what I like about cowboy hats, there's no rules, and they come in every shape and configuration under the sun. As a derby wearer, and with the right frame for the job, you can definitely pull it off. And don't worry, I've got a small collection of tiny brim westerns from when I first bought my brim cutter. Thankfully, most were about worn out, and weren't getting worn much anymore. Frank
Sacrilege...

Here's a fine new blue-grey 1950's Resistol Western I bought on eBay with some bad stains. A little Scout, brushing, a good hat sponging & recreasing, and it's looking good to me. What do you fellas think?
It looks weird to me. I would change it to a more... traditional crease. The color is interesting.

I never intended to cut that much off, but my hand slipped and so had to even out the rest of it. Joao, I did make a frankenderby once, as I purchased a derby from eBay that the seller didn't know was in two pieces. I don't think I kept it, though, because I'm poor with a needle and thread.
If you call that a slipped hand... looks like it happened several times.
Even without skills it can be done. Good or bad, that's what makes a franken-hat.

John Galt

Vendor
Joao, my friend, you sound grumpy today. Are you having wide brim withdrawals, or is it still just sympathy pains for Bowlerman's hat?

;-)

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
It looks weird to me. I would change it to a more... traditional crease.

Joao,

The peaked crown (Centerfire?) is actually quite a traditional crease here, although it is not that commonly seen anymore. As noted, I have a Stetson Nutria Quality western with this crease.

You can see one in this 1948 Stetson Ad featuring then-common western creases:

ramazaby.jpg

And in this poster:

hagyna7u.jpg

As for the gullet, I respect your opinion, but I like it this way. I was going to do a cow track, but chose this for the reasons mentioned and because I have a Resistol 50 with a cow track.

fedoracentric

Banned
Those more artful or involved creases aren't that plentiful mostly because there are so few skilled hands to make those creases these days, is my guess. But I always like them when I see them.

Renault

One Too Many
That is a cool crease!

I'm a fan of the old creases!! I think it's a cool crease too. Most of my hats are not socially acceptable. Wear a felt every day. Most are work hats and pretty salty. But the older I get the more I don't give a d**m what crease I use. Ain't out to impress other folks. As my mustache gets longer and bushier, my creases get older and dated!!!

Well done John Galt! I hope that nephew appreciates his new lid!

Renault

One Too Many
Two of my favorite older hats. One on left is Stetson 6X. Prolly 30 year old hat. On the right is American Hat company, Houston Tx. Least 40 years old. Dead mans had. Inherited from dead fellas brother. They were from a ranching family. Just happened to fit me!

Renault

One Too Many
Dad bought me this cheaper 4X beaver almost 20 years ago. This was my old work hat while I was still ranching. And was my everyday hat until like 2009. It's seen the elephant several times. Kinda retired it and took to wearing that lighter weight Akubra Bushman with a cattleman crease as an everyday chapeau.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Joao, my friend, you sound grumpy today. Are you having wide brim withdrawals, or is it still just sympathy pains for Bowlerman's hat?
The fact that my budget when stratospheric again, Jack Daniel's is becoming rare around here, a western ruined by bowlerman and frussell trimming westerns and calling them a collection.

The peaked crown (Centerfire?) is actually quite a traditional crease here, although it is not that commonly seen anymore. As noted, I have a Stetson Nutria Quality western with this crease.
Might be but I don't like it. It looks weird.

I'm a fan of the old creases!! I think it's a cool crease too. Most of my hats are not socially acceptable. Wear a felt every day. Most are work hats and pretty salty. But the older I get the more I don't give a d**m what crease I use. Ain't out to impress other folks. As my mustache gets longer and bushier, my creases get older and dated!!!
I do like to see used and somehow abused westerns (as long it doesn't have holes or too much brim damage), that is why my Resistol diamond horseshoe is dirty, I know it was used on ranch work and only brushed it. At least it doesn't look fake as the painted ones sold by Resistol/Stetson (like the new John Wayne hat).

Two of my favorite older hats. One on left is Stetson 6X. Prolly 30 year old hat. On the right is American Hat company, Houston Tx. Least 40 years old. Dead mans had. Inherited from dead fellas brother. They were from a ranching family. Just happened to fit me!
Nice ones. Show me the others you use.
Wish I could inherit westerns...

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Dad bought me this cheaper 4X beaver almost 20 years ago. This was my old work hat while I was still ranching. And was my everyday hat until like 2009. It's seen the elephant several times. Kinda retired it and took to wearing that lighter weight Akubra Bushman with a cattleman crease as an everyday chapeau.
It still looks very good condition. My everyday hat (wore it from 2004 to 2009-2010) was a 4x beaver Stetson and it is in much worst condition... and I didn't do ranching!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay