Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
That was the plan, but now having second thoughts. Will ultimately depend on how much brim remains after re-block.
Let us know how it ended.

Almost forgot to post this one here, my latest addition.
tommixsb01.jpg

More pictures of it in the new hats thread.

H Weinstein

One of the Regulars
Quiet on the Western Front..?

This thread has been dormant for a bit. Here are a few of my new or newly re-done western hats.

After 3 seasons, I decided I liked the hat worn by the title character on the TV series LONGMIRE. The Loden Akubra Rough Rider I got is darker than the show hat, but I found the proper horsehair hatband and had fun re-shaping the standard cattleman crown and brim into the swoopy pinchfront shape of Walt Longmire's hat:

sq145k.jpg

3499szp.jpg

This next one also started out as an Akubra Rough Rider in Light Sand. I wanted something close to white without actually being white. I liked the LONGMIRE-style teardrop-pinchfront, but kept the brim somewhat flatter, and made the hatband myself with a black leather belt from Target and diamond spots from Tandy Leather:

s25s7s.jpg

I liked the Light Sand Rough Rider's style and shape so much that I did a black one the same way, but with a hatband inspired by the one from the old TV series HAVE GUN, WILL TRAVEL:

ir3zgi.jpg

Next up, an Akubra Bobby (Sand), one of my first hats, and it's been through several revisions. I finally settled on a replica of the hat worn by Raylan Givens in the TV series JUSTIFIED. The crown is standard cattleman. But it took some patient tweaking to give the brim the right subtle curl and droop in front and back. Found the correct hatband at our local Maryland store Carol's Western Wear. Here's Tim Olyphant's:

240yxya.jpg

And mine:

spirn6.jpg

Last one for today. This one is an older Akubra Boss of the Plains in Sorrel (I'm sorry they dropped this hat from the lineup) which has been though several re-bashes. I finally settled on a combo of the Longmire crown and the Justified brim. Homemade hatband. Very comfortable hat:

179114.jpg

There's only one problem with having a bunch of hats I like: picking which one to wear on any given day!
I did take the light one to Arizona for our recent return trip to Old Tucson Studios:

r2jgk0.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany