Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

Light rain showers just now arriving for a humid rainy day, so I grabbed a big brim Woomera. I like wearing this one.

IMG_1947.jpg

IMG_1948.jpg

humanshoes

One Too Many
Got the Stetson 3X "American Royal" cleaned up and shaped. It was dirty and I went with a gas bath as sponging and steaming would not dissipate many of the stains, especially where the Sterling pins had tarnished against the felt. All the steaming and brushing has helped diminish the holes significantly. I think they will continue to improve over time. Seems every cowboy hat I have ends up in a version of this crease. I need to come up with something else.
View attachment 132266 View attachment 132267
The next three pics show the mitigation of the pin holes.
View attachment 132273
View attachment 132268 View attachment 132269
The six ply ribbon is actually two three ply's stacked
View attachment 132270 View attachment 132271 View attachment 132272
Nice hat Bama! First time I've seen brim binding on the underside of the brim only. Very interesting look.

Got the Stetson 3X "American Royal" cleaned up and shaped. It was dirty and I went with a gas bath as sponging and steaming would not dissipate many of the stains, especially where the Sterling pins had tarnished against the felt. All the steaming and brushing has helped diminish the holes significantly. I think they will continue to improve over time. Seems every cowboy hat I have ends up in a version of this crease. I need to come up with something else.
View attachment 132266 View attachment 132267
The next three pics show the mitigation of the pin holes.
View attachment 132273
View attachment 132268 View attachment 132269
The six ply ribbon is actually two three ply's stacked
View attachment 132270 View attachment 132271 View attachment 132272
Cool hat Greg.

Nice hat Bama! First time I've seen brim binding on the underside of the brim only. Very interesting look.

Thank you, sir. It's a first for me as well. After buying the hat I was able to find a couple old Stetson models in the Miller-Stockman thread, the Arminto and the Arminty though I've not seen or heard of any in the wild.

Just after the hat came in I caught Joel McRae in "The Virginian" and he was wearing this.
x1080-rqO.jpg

Received this No.1 today. It's been creased in a teardrop for a long while but it's very soft. With just a bit of brushing I got rid of most of the ghost crease. Needs some brim work before I finalize the crease. 3x6, it's a nice hat.

IMG_1984.jpg

IMG_1986.jpg

IMG_1982.jpg

Got this late 1960's 4X on the way. I'm thinking the liner is embroidered & not an early silkscreen. 6-cord ribbon. It should be a 3"x 5-3/4 or 6" open crown.

IMG_8343.JPG

IMG_8349.JPG

Yahoody

One Too Many
Got this run of the mill, likely early '90s Stetson off Ebay. Just showed up today. I am a sucker for a 5" brim anything. This one goes 5.25"! And a mighty 7.5" crown. I do like the 1 3/4" gross grain ribbon and bow.

s-l1600.jpg

Took me about 10 minutes to turn it into something I'd actually wear :) Likely to get changed again. 4 3/4" ashtray crown now and still got that big old silver belly 5.25" brim. Liner and sweat still look unworn and new. Doubt it had ever been worn prior. "Gus" is the model. Likely made in late '89 or early '90s as Lonesome Dove and Gus came along in Feb, of 1989. Let me know if you can see something different there. Nice lwt felt by the feel of it. And a good leather sweat band. A decent buy from Ebay in my book!

I am thinking a big old feather added to the hat band is next :)

Pretty basic hat now....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran