Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Stetson No. 1 refurbished by VS:

ccbc81ee082b17e6d4efa9c9bff8a8e2.jpg

4dc444a56c90e7049a6287f25c2d82de.jpg

acb598e1673098d84a5195134c394921.jpg

2162275787d55b6cadf84f5a11a4937e.jpg

4f1abcb27ca2b880106129ef7e110b6f.jpg

8739a1de8808db07cbcbf0abf893195e.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Just now noticed this. Westerns suit you better than you think. You're killin' it, man! Nice job by Art, too.

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
Need some input here on my latest black Borsalino project. I wanted to make a fedora out it but the 3 1/4 wide brim proportion to the crown height is just too much for my taste. I can very easily fix that by trimming the brim down to 2 3/4. But, I lose the stitched brim edge if I do that. My other option is to make a Western out of it if want I to keep the brim treatment. Here's an idea of what it would look like if I choose to go western with this. Nothing's set in stone yet. I put a quick and dry creased make shift cattleman in the crown and did a quick brim shaping just to get an idea of what it may look like if I choose go Western with it. Any thoughts, ideas?
Black-Borsalino-II-2-A.jpg

Then again, it's not every day you see a Borsalino Western, although I've seen a couple.
I always like a nice pencil rolled brim on my Westerns. I think that would look good on this. DD might agree with me. :)

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Wish i could do a little more with the brim on this but it's gotten so soft over the years and quite substantial felt, this is about all it will hold w/o adding stiffener.
View attachment 142888 View attachment 142889 View attachment 142890 View attachment 142891 View attachment 142893
Hard to belive these things have wrinkles and a toe bug.
View attachment 142894
Killer hat! I've got a Nutria that I had to spray some stiffener on. The brim had gotten weak over the years and didn't want to hold its shape. A couple of light spritzings with some stiffener on the underside of the brim did the trick and gave it all the support it needed....and it doesn't feel overly stiff at all.

That would be a nice touch for sure. I just don't have the brim curlers to do that, unfortunately. Wish I did, though.

TJ, check with Desertdog. He's done some using his fingers rolling the the brim over the edge of a pot. I've yet to try one all the way around a hat but on some of my stiff brims I've had pretty good success rolling just the edge of the fenders over using my thumb and fingers on a fairly wet brim.

BTW, I think you have a great candidate for a western, especially with the stitched brim. Most hats I reach for these days fall into that 3-3 1/2 X 6 range.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
TJ, check with Desertdog. He's done some using his fingers rolling the the brim over the edge of a pot. I've yet to try one all the way around a hat but on some of my stiff brims I've had pretty good success rolling just the edge of the fenders over using my thumb and fingers on a fairly wet brim.

BTW, I think you have a great candidate for a western, especially with the stitched brim. Most hats I reach for these days fall into that 3-3 1/2 X 6 range.
Ignacio does it by hand. He wets a rag, heats it on an iron, and curls the brim with it over a small diameter plastic hose. I will take a video next time I am with him. It takes him three minutes.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
That’s a video I want to see. Can’t wait! Thanks, Max.

He asked me to take a video once. I don't know how to upload it to Youtube, but I will ask my daughters. He doesn't even have a steamer. He is awesome, really. I asked him why he doesn't have one, he said he doesn't need it, and he doesn't, really.

He asked me to take a video once. I don't know how to upload it to Youtube, but I will ask my daughters. He doesn't even have a steamer. He is awesome, really. I asked him why he doesn't have one, he said he doesn't need it, and he doesn't, really.

Yeah, the technology part of this world is not my strong suit. I often call on subordinates to walk me through new tech. I’d love to see that video.

Ignacio does it by hand. He wets a rag, heats it on an iron, and curls the brim with it over a small diameter plastic hose. I will take a video next time I am with him. It takes him three minutes.

The pot method didn't work for me. I've had some luck using a piece of 5/16" clothesline rope, then smoothing my hand.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up

I think Ive seen some of those he did. He did a good job of it. I even thought of cutting a piece of garden hose and shaping a wet brim using that and seeing what kind of results I would get.

Yeah, I think you guys are right. I believe I'll make a western out of it. You do sport some nice Westerns that I envy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy