Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Amazing hat, and love the photos.

Posted this in new hats and the today thread, but I’ll put it here too. Browning Sportsman. Nice dimensions, 3 1/4” brim by my tape.

6190b234a80ef838ae7461145f9158be.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have one of those. I tweaked it a little, and replaced the leather band with ribbon.
e7dbe34cee863ff2b2ff2b8f8babf934.jpg
980a323fba8c7ccbd0c9dcc8bafd9b62.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for all the comments & likes. Much appreciated.

IMG_7906.JPG

Happened to watch part of the movie today.
I have the DVD & still enjoy it a lot, but there is so much more to the story of Tom Horn. Just a tidbit you may not know:

Oct 1902: Horn was convicted of the murder of Willie Nickell. He may not have been guilty of the boy's murder & most lawyers agree he would not be convicted today.

June 1903: Three friends of Horn's rode together in his support in the annual Cheyenne Frontier Days Parade: Charles Irwin, William F. Cody, & President Theodore Roosevelt. Cody's friendship with Horn began in ~1895 when he tried to hire Horn for his Wild West Show after Horn broke a world record in a rodeo event. President Teddy Roosevelt became friends when Horn served as a civilian Packer during the war in Cuba, & charged up San Juan Hill with Roosevelt & his Rough Riders. Most people believe Roosevelt would have pardoned Horn of his conviction if he had only asked, but Horn wouldn't ask.

November 1903: Tom Horn is executed by hanging.

December 1914: With failing health, in financial difficulty & still despondent over not being able to save Horn, John Coble commits suicide at age 57.

IMG_2119.JPG

IMG_2131.JPG

IMG_2129.JPG

IMG_2127.JPG

IMG_2122.JPG

The crease and brim look perfect.
It does have a pretty good dent in the crown now from when I hit the roofline getting out of the SUV. I haven't tried steaming it out completely.

I have the DVD & still enjoy it a lot, but there is so much more to the story of Tom Horn. Just a tidbit you may not know:

I'm aware, HJ and one of the reasons I still get emotional watching the movie. I feel Horn was a man stuck between the changing sides of the world he knew best and not well equipped to handle them w/o brutality.

Whether Horn was guilty of Nickell's murder will never be known but based on the evidence and testimony, no way would he be convicted today.

I always felt for Coble.

Horn's case went to the jury on 10/23. My birthday.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Thanks everyone for all the comments & likes. Much appreciated.

View attachment 170747

Oct 1902: Horn was convicted of the murder of Willie Nickell. He may not have been guilty of the boy's murder & most lawyers agree he would not be convicted today.

June 1903: Three friends of Horn's rode together in his support in the annual Cheyenne Frontier Days Parade: Charles Irwin, William F. Cody, & President Theodore Roosevelt. Cody's friendship with Horn began in ~1895 when he tried to hire Horn for his Wild West Show after Horn broke a world record in a rodeo event. President Teddy Roosevelt became friends when Horn served as a civilian Packer during the war in Cuba, & charged up San Juan Hill with Roosevelt & his Rough Riders. Most people believe Roosevelt would have pardoned Horn of his conviction if he had only asked, but Horn wouldn't ask.

November 1903: Tom Horn is executed by hanging.

December 1914: With failing health, in financial difficulty & still despondent over not being able to save Horn, John Coble commits suicide at age 57.

View attachment 170751

View attachment 170750

View attachment 170749

View attachment 170752

View attachment 170748

It does have a pretty good dent in the crown now from when I hit the roofline getting out of the SUV. I haven't tried steaming it out completely.
Nice looking Western there, HJ. I always liked that one.

Regarding Tom Horn, I've never been fully convinced that he was innocent of the murder of Willie Nickell. He definitely could have been innocent, and for him to have given a drunken confession to a detective who set him up for entrapment more than likely wouldn't have passed muster in court in these days. But then again, I kinda lean toward thinking Horn was guilty.

Regarding Tom Horn, I've never been fully convinced that he was innocent of the murder of Willie Nickell. He definitely could have been innocent, and for him to have given a drunken confession to a detective who set him up for entrapment more than likely wouldn't have passed muster in court in these days. But then again, I kinda lean toward thinking Horn was guilty.
At trial it was spun that Horn was the only marksman around who could have made the shot. I've been to the gate & the rock pile (in the 1980's) and was surprised to see how easy the shots (there were 2 shots, 2 hits) would be to make.

Glendoline Kimmel had seen Horn & was with him for a short while that morning (at the Davis? home), a distance likely too far for Horn to have made the ride in time. At the time of trial Kimmel was living back in St. Louis, MO & was not called to testify or possibly paid by the Cattleman's Association to stay away. By the time Coble found her in St. Louis it was too late.

Woodtroll

One Too Many

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
On rare occasions I get an order for a hat that allows me to throw caution to the wind and really have some fun with the craft. The kind of hat build where perfection is the opposite of the ultimate goal. When the young man in California asked me to recreate the "Ellsworth" hat my first question was "WHY?!". I told him that I thought it was a just a beat up, wonky looking hat that I probably wouldn't want to be seen wearing in public (how's that for great salesmanship?), but he stood his ground and told me that's exactly what he wanted. Hey, who am I to argue? I loved the HBO series Deadwood and was in awe of most of the character's hats, however, not so much the one Jim Beaver's character wore. Regardless of my feelings, I dove right in and did my best to stay true to the spirit of the hat, right down to the mattress ticking fabric hatband. Now I have to admit that, not only was it great fun to make, it's definitely grown on me and I'll miss it when it's gone. Who'd a thought?

View attachment 169400
Love it.

Hello Guys,
I bought a Ten X Beaver Western Hat today on a Fleamarket.
I was very suprised after reading the sweatband lettering!
Ponderosa Ranch. I know the series Ponderosa But never saw a hat with this lettering. Any suggestion?

4d101db95040f8e88c45fabc4e65621d.jpg

38dca7f842f4faff95204f53eb375cbf.jpg

dee0cebae104e08c7b13cfce358add79.jpg

4ac7e99d7d826c74219d90c8b9811362.jpg

1b1d7ca8f40f36451907d06f1b6d8fe3.jpg

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro
That Ponderosa Ranch was a theme park at Lake Tahoe, NV & had no connection to the 1960's TV series. I think it closed about 10 yrs ago. They probably sold hats & other branded merchandise thru their shops in the park. It is a nicely shaped hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo