Western, anyone?

Discussion in 'Hats' started by kokopelli, Dec 7, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

May be, HJ. First saw him and Kenny Wayne Shepherd at a now defunct annual festival here some years ago. Fan of both but haven't paid any attention to Lang in awhile. Charlie Sexton is another that comes to mind that was a "rising" whatever. Synthesized drums and such wore me out pretty fast. Think he's back to playing more traditional blues.

Hurricane Jack likes this.
  2. Thanks Ken. I had been looking for a candidate for a horseshoe since seeing this pic:

IMG_3212.JPG

It needs to be a tall crown with a big barrel rounding block. The Woomera is a 4" x 6.7" crown & comes like this:

Michael R's pic of his Woomera:
    IMG_6566.JPG

IMG_6878.JPG

IMG_2408.JPG

I changed the ribbon out to a leather braid with a cowboy knot:
    IMG_4806.jpg

I like the way it turned out.

3. Brody Buster, maybe Joe Bonamassa are a couple others that couldn't match their early teenage success.

Cornshucker77 and Bamaboots like this.
  4. Blackthorn

Blackthorn I'll Lock Up

I love that leather braid with the cowboy knot

5. Wyldkarma

Wyldkarma One Too Many

Nailed it big time! That hatband is killer.

6. Thank you guys!

Blackthorn likes this.
  7. After this one I thought I would like a horseshoe in a black hat. At the time you could special order a Woomera in black with a 3-month wait, so I ordered one. But before it arrived I found a Resistol Stagecoach Outlaw (4-1/2 x 6-1/2, maybe 6-3/4) so I used it. I put a homemade barbwire band from a few yrs ago on it.

Stagecoach Outlaw
    IMG_1921.JPG

IMG_2817.JPG

IMG_2816.JPG

IMG_3121.JPG

IMG_3123.JPG

When the Woomera arrived I decided to clone an early black Western BRE (Alan's pic) but due to the blocking or maybe my lack of talent, it didn't quite work out. I thought after some break-in time on the felt I might try again. Currently it's just a big gentleman Western that catches a lot of wintertime chore duty.

Akubra Woomera
    IMG_8625.JPG

Alan's pic
    IMG_6731.JPG

Woomera
    IMG_9711.JPG

8. Wyldkarma

Wyldkarma One Too Many

20190805_070133-885x515.jpg
    I really like your barbed wire hatband. I've been trying to make a decent one myself the last couple months. Not having much luck. I like yours better. ;)

9. I can't remember for sure but I think it's #14 copper insulated. They were quite popular & I made several 15 yrs ago.

10. @Robieman

Wondering if you have any experience with hatWRKS, particularly their original creations? Do they actually make their originals in house or are they made by a jobber somewhere? No longer in their lineup but I always liked this 3x6 mid ribbon Western.

IMG_2865.PNG

IMG_2864.PNG

IMG_2863.JPG

11. Robieman

Robieman One of the Regulars

She makes them herself, and those are what you see on her website. Her equipment is in the rear of the store kinda behind the counter. She has replaced a couple sweatbands in hats before for me. Real nice lady. Got a lot of cool stuff in the store. Carries most brands of hats, as well those she makes. I did ask her if I wanted a hat with a certain brim and/or crown, would she make it. She said she would, but she really wasn't too keen on it because folks want things "just right", so she prefers to make those creations of hers to sell instead, I gathered, because it can just be what she has in mind. She priced one if I was interested, but honestly it was more than I wanted to spend. Her shop is worth visiting if your ever in the neighborhood, or go online to see what she has in the store.
    Perhaps I should add, I wouldn't be afraid to get one of her hats, as they look like good quality hats.

12. Robieman

Since you brought it up, I decided to check her website. She has one called "day money" that might be close, if you want to take a look.

13. Thanks Robie. Good to learn that the quality of her work is there. Unless she just doesn't have the block in the size needed I'm sure she would accept an order for a hat she has made before. But perhaps she just wants to make hats she can retail out of the store & website, & not deal with custom orders.

I don't have the ribbon yet but it's kind of the look I was going for with this 2-3/4 x 5-3/4 CD.

IMG_4246.jpg

14. Robieman

Give her a call. Never know what you might get going. I would also like to suggest Buckaroo Hatters. I’ve text him what I wanted and in a couple weeks, went to get it. Quality work at reasonable prices. “BuckarooHatters.com”
    He only shows samples on the site, but you can text or email what you want. I have three from him. All nice hats.

Redshoes51 and Hurricane Jack like this.
  15. Stetson One-hundred

IMG_4998.jpg

IMG_4997.jpg

IMG_4996.jpg

16. Desert dog

Desert dog Call Me a Cab

17. It's Cerakote on steel plate & pipe.

Cornshucker77 and Desert dog like this.
  18. Early morning, was just outside with the dog. Was going to sit & watch the approaching thunderstorms, & drink some coffee. But the mosquitos were really on the feed so I'm back inside. 4X OR.

IMG_5020.jpg

Rmccamey, AbbaDatDeHat, dh66 and 7 others like this.
  19. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

Used on firearms a lot. Makes for a good looking bar.

Desert dog likes this.
  20. Robieman