Western, anyone?

Discussion in 'Hats' started by kokopelli, Dec 7, 2007.

Tags:
  1. johnnycanuck

johnnycanuck Call Me a Cab

Raw Edge Rebel?!? That's an old Akubra Down Under with the crown popped out. I know, I have one in black. That's the model they used for Crocodile Dundee, if you didn't know. Wear it in good health.
    Johnny

2. Yeah, I know exactly what it is. I bought it used because I thought it had blocking like the CD has. It had a pressed teardrop crease as I recall. I changed it up to a Cattleman crease at the time. Just recently changed it again. I'll be changing out the hatband to a chocolate ribbon & bow. I call my open crown hats Rebel hats & wear them to period events I participate in.

IMG_7753.JPG

IMG_7466.jpg

IMG_1950.JPG

IMG_3142.JPG

IMG_1209.JPG

IMG_1900.jpg

Working on an Akubra Territory that will probably end up like this.
    IMG_7754.JPG

3. 1961MJS

1961MJS My Mail is Forwarded Here

Hello Jack, I'm curious, what's the pointed deal that's below the feather in the hat band? It looks a little like a quill pen.

Thanks

Bamaboots and Hurricane Jack like this.
  4. It is a porcupine quill, just not a pen.

DOGMAN likes this.
  5. 1961MJS

Thanks Jack, I've seen Porcupines, but haven't really seen just the quill by itself.

Later

6. Porcupines are not a protected species (at least not here) & they destroy trees, treated lumber like your deck, leather & other items you might wear. They like salt so they will eat anything you have perspired in while using or wearing. When my son was a teenager he played competitive 3&2 Baseball. One night after a game he left his gear bag on the driveway behind the trunk of his car. A porcupine ate & destroyed several hundred dollars worth of ballgloves, batting gloves, bats & balls that night. I have a box full of quills!

DOGMAN, Ross Young, Rmccamey and 4 others like this.
  7. Rumad

Rumad A-List Customer

#GOTHIM

Hurricane Jack likes this.
  8. 1961MJS

Dang, might as well be pigs. I used to wire hog houses when I was in high school. We left a ladder in the pen on Saturday and on Monday morning the wood was gone, just tooth picks were left. Electricians use wooden ladders...

Later

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    DOGMAN, Bamaboots and Tukwila like this.
  9. T Jones

T Jones I'll Lock Up

'Cold Mountain' and 'Ride With the Devil'. I have both of those movies and they both seem to be 'period correct' as far as the costuming and the hats. Your open crown Akubra has a nice authentic look from that era.

10. Pigs will eat anything. Reminds me of Wu's pigs:

11. Thanks TJ. "Ride..." was filmed around here & one of our guys was hired as a consultant on dress, etc. He was also a consultant on the Lincoln conspiracy movie (can't remember the title). I've posted before that we all had the opportunity to be extras in "Ride..." & the extras were going to be needed for 3 days of filming. At the time I didn't think I could just take off 3 days from work, but I ended up spending much more than that observing the filming & got in one of the group scenes on one day. I have lots of stories about Ang Lee & some of the actors.

Even though it is based on a historical novel which is fiction, it is pretty accurate as to what went on here. Most of the main characters are composites of several real characters.

PS: I think the hat will look more authentic when I get a ribbon on it.

12. T Jones

T Jones I'll Lock Up

That's some interesting stuff, HJ. 'Ride With the Devil' is one of my favorite Civil War films that's based around actual events.

13. You would probably like the novel. The original printing was titled " Woe to Live On" written by Daniel Woodrell (note the similarity to the fictional name, Jake Roedel?). After the success of the movie & the following printing the title was changed to "Ride...".

PS: You may know there has been a book on Quantrill written from historical research, "The Devil Knows How To Ride: The True Story of William Clarke Quantrill and His Confederate Raiders" by Edward Leslie.

"Border Ruffians" was written in 1877.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  14. T Jones

T Jones I'll Lock Up

That book on Quantrill would be especially interesting. Frank and Jesse James, both, rode with Quantrill and along with Bloody Bill Anderson. I think I'll look that book up online. In the meantime you got me interested in getting out my 'Ride With the Devil' movie again and watching it! I'm going to dust off 'The Long Riders' and watch that one too while I'm at it!

Desert dog, Hurricane Jack and DOGMAN like this.
  15. Desert dog

Desert dog My Mail is Forwarded Here

Another day at Calico! 20200215_103654.jpg

16. The seller offered me these for $265. Not sure if they are your size (they certainly aren't mine) at 9D.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143518056926

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    Desert dog and AbbaDatDeHat like this.
  17. Great pic DD.

"When I see a man with a long white beard, I think of a Wizard. Great wisdom beholds a man who is blessed with such a beard." -- overheard being said by Unknown Male, January 2020

18. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

Miller Bros. Horseman arrived today. 6.5” open crown and 3 3/4 raw edge brim. The ribbon was new to me.

8C4B0212-6003-4CE3-A8C5-F86A09DB5722.jpeg 73F0702F-EE89-4CDA-B0D8-779353281508.jpeg F0A492E2-B008-4F0E-8F8B-5D7F1B303C69.jpeg 72DC28B1-B4DD-4C88-BBFF-C45A0F786B5A.jpeg 425AE18D-E83D-4ADE-822E-F57D68E6B4C1.jpeg

Attached Files:

19. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

20. Rmccamey

Rmccamey Call Me a Cab

deadlyhandsome likes this.