Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Throwing in my latest 4X tan Resistol refurb project. I had a custom block made by Randal Alan and I wanted to give it a quick test run. This hat started out as a too small 6 7/8 and was in urgent need of a size up and refurbishment. I took it apart and reblocked it to a 7 1/4 on my Randal Alan block. The hat has been refurbished, sized up, and redesigned to resemble some of the old TV Western hat styles of the 1950s and '60s I remember watching when I was a kid. The hat originally had a 4 inch wide brim but with the size up I lost some of that but was able to trim it to 3 1/2 inches. I gave it a new 1/2 matching ribbon with an OR style bow. The hat didn't have a liner when I got it so I found a Stagecoach liner that I had laying around and put that in it. I have more on this hat and the Randal Alan block in the Conversion Corral...

The Randal Alan Block I used for this project. I'm very happy with it:
Block-Randal-1-A.jpg

Before:
4-X-Tan-Resistol-1.jpg

4-X-Tan-Resistol-6-A.jpg

After:
4-X-SC-Western-Tan-6-A.jpg

4-X-SC-Western-Tan-5-A.jpg

4-X-SC-Western-Tan-2-A.jpg

4-X-SC-Western-Tan-4-A.jpg

Throwing in my latest 4X tan Resistol refurb project. I had a custom block made by Randal Alan and I wanted to give it a quick test run. This hat started out as a too small 6 7/8 and was in urgent need of a size up and refurbishment. I took it apart and reblocked it to a 7 1/4 on my Randal Alan block. The hat has been refurbished, sized up, and redesigned to resemble some of the old TV Western hat styles of the 1950s and '60s I remember watching when I was a kid. The hat originally had a 4 inch wide brim but with the size up I lost some of that but was able to trim it to 3 1/2 inches. I gave it a new 1/2 matching ribbon with an OR style bow. The hat didn't have a liner when I got it so I found a Stagecoach liner that I had laying around and put that in it. I have more on this hat and the Randal Alan block in the Conversion Corral...

The Randal Alan Block I used for this project. I'm very happy with it:
Block-Randal-1-A.jpg

Before:
4-X-Tan-Resistol-1.jpg

4-X-Tan-Resistol-6-A.jpg

After:
4-X-SC-Western-Tan-6-A.jpg

4-X-SC-Western-Tan-5-A.jpg

4-X-SC-Western-Tan-2-A.jpg

4-X-SC-Western-Tan-4-A.jpg
Nice work!

RossRYoung

Practically Family
Wearing a Stetson Nutria today. The crease is not on the center line. I’ve considered fixing it, but I also kinda like the asymmetry. Do you strive for mostly perfect creases, or think that asymmetry adds character?

View attachment 218166 View attachment 218167

That’s asym? Fooled me. I hand crease everything, have yet to use steam. Don’t really want a vintage lid to look new

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wearing a Stetson Nutria today. The crease is not on the center line. I’ve considered fixing it, but I also kinda like the asymmetry. Do you strive for mostly perfect creases, or think that asymmetry adds character?

Hi

1. Asymmetry adds character, Yes it does.
2. It needs more Asymmetry so it looks like you did it on purpose.

Just my $0.02 and maybe worth half that.

I have a picture on a different computer that shows it.

me

MtnBob

New in Town

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21