Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

Jack, the centennial Stetson I've got is from the Sovereign line. It's a top shelf hat....the fancy bow with the ribbon that's woven in and out of the sweat band in the back half of the hat, an oilskin liner behind the sweat, and a felted edge brim. I believe Stetson referred to theirs as a Mode edge, if I'm remembering correctly.

View attachment 293654 View attachment 293655

I can certainly see the similarity to the AMF graphics of the 70s Harleys. Interesting for you to bring it up.... I have another Sovereign Stetson from a later era (after that brand, too, was acquired by a large corporation) that is more hat in terms of brim but isn't even half the hat in terms of quality. I suppose the AMF takeover of HD was indicative of the larger trend in American mass production. Sacrifice quality for quantity. Still, without the buyouts, the companies likely wouldn't be around any more, so the knife cuts both ways. I won't even get started about Berkshire Hathaway and the boot business.
I’ve got the exact same one

Jack, the centennial Stetson I've got is from the Sovereign line. It's a top shelf hat....the fancy bow with the ribbon that's woven in and out of the sweat band in the back half of the hat, an oilskin liner behind the sweat, and a felted edge brim.
I'm setting here congitating on whether or not the Golden Centennial hats as marked were available in grades other then the Sovereign? Do we really know? In fedora dress weight felt the Sovereign of the mid-1960's was a $20.00 hat. Was the Golden Centennial offered in a Twenty-five; a 4X, 5X or 7X? They all could & some did have sizer ribbons in, & a sweat barrier behind the sweat. Was it offered in a Western? Was the Golden Centennial a well thought out effort?

I'm setting here congitating on whether or not the Golden Centennial hats as marked were available in grades other then the Sovereign? Do we really know? In fedora dress weight felt the Sovereign of the mid-1960's was a $20.00 hat. Was the Golden Centennial offered in a Twenty-five; a 4X, 5X or 7X? They all could & some did have sizer ribbons in, & a sweat barrier behind the sweat. Was it offered in a Western? Was the Golden Centennial a well thought out effort?
All questions that I cannot answer.....but hopefully someone around here might.

All questions that I cannot answer.....but hopefully someone around here might.
I don't think much is really known about this 100 yr Golden anniversary. I'm wondering if Stetson did anything more than make up a few thousand special liners & print up a few thousand boxes to use until they were all gone? Probably nothing more?

I don't think much is really known about this 100 yr Golden anniversary. I'm wondering if Stetson did anything more than make up a few thousand special liners & print up a few thousand boxes to use until they were all gone? Probably nothing more?
Did they do much more for the 150th anniversary? Is the felt on the 2015 hats anything appreciably different from what came right before or after? Ive never handled one so I have no idea.

Did they do much more for the 150th anniversary? Is the felt on the 2015 hats anything appreciably different from what came right before or after? Ive never handled one so I have no idea.
The 150th Anniversary hats were designed by Matt Deckard. Besides being identified as such by tag they also had a 3-D like lazer prism sticker on the sweat. I had two Strats that were very soft, but not being a Strat guy I moved them on. But I would say they were on par with the now discontinued Excellent or current Premier Strat. Here's what Deckard has posted about the Anniversary hats:

"But if you have one of the anniversary hats I designed, know I inspected them, and that they are more than superior, they are EXCELLENT!"

No doubt resident experts will disagree.

Last edited:

rclark

Call Me a Cab
Stetson 7XCB Western
19D72AA3-1D34-489D-8EE9-C47656CED0A3.jpeg

BF98313A-BCEF-408F-B654-41E9BE5495EF.jpeg
5489519C-1670-4EFB-AF14-9725DD070F97.jpeg
86A035DC-77B2-47E9-B111-5879D533116F.jpeg

Nice Combo! You east bound and down! I had a six pack of Miller High Life fall in my hands tonite. Like days gone bye!

I've been stuck on Shiner and Guinness so long that it's been ages since I drank a regular Coors, I'll have to try one.

...and great hat and boots, btw.

Thank, guys. I do like a Banquet beer every now and then but it’s been scarce around here since the craziness began. Plenty of Silver Bullets but no yellow jackets. Grabbed a 12 pack yesterday when the first I had seen in months showed up on the grocery store shelves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy