Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

Walden (no “Worth”) as restored by Rick of The Phoenix Hat Co. With it sized up to fit me the brim shrank to a mere 4 5/8 inches wide. Rick went the extra mile by recreating the original markings on the new sweatband and using the original liner tip in the new liner he made for me. An absolutely fabulous hat with great thin vintage felt. The entire hat is soft, but the crown wouldn’t be out of place on a 1940s Zephyr weight fedora! Rick is a truly gifted hatter and he’s made me a great hat from this old survivor.

View attachment 308481 View attachment 308482 View attachment 308483 View attachment 308484 View attachment 308485 View attachment 308486 View attachment 308487 View attachment 308488 View attachment 308489
Guess I missed this the other day...that's a great looking hat. Super nice curl on the big brim.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dawn patrol at the vacant commercial space across from my apt reveals some true western locals, only captured the one but at least 3 of them in the pack.
View attachment 309111 View attachment 309112 View attachment 309113
Healthy looking coyote! There are some pretty scruffy ones around here. I once had a lunch meeting at Goldstone deep space tracking station. A pack of coyotes would show up at lunch and wander the parking lot, waiting for cafeteria scraps. They seemed almost tame, and would get just beyond arms distance. Quite an experience to be in the midst of so many coyotes.

Good look and pics, HJ. I particularly like # 2 and 4.

The uprolled brim and the 'stache work well together.
Thanks guys. If I decide it's time for a change I'm considering a smaller more rounder version with a front roll, of the Montana Peak. If things ever return to normal where we have our Old West, & Civil War roundtables again, I will.

IMG_1671.JPG

IMG_6204.JPG

It always cracks me up that Coyotes (and Deer) flourish in an urban environment while wolves apparently do not. Wolves are bigger, meaner, etc. They also don't live in Wichita, but the coyotes did.
Later
The Navajo wanted their dogs to breed with the Red Wolf so they fed them & encouraged the Red Wolf to come into camp & domesticate. But even then the Red Wolf would come in no closer than the edge of the firelight at night.

RossRYoung

Practically Family
Thanks everyone, that No. 1 is a favorite and almost daily wear.

Healthy looking coyote! Quite an experience to be in the midst of so many coyotes.

Indeed, I knew this family was there in the landscaping. Found out the hard way on walk with my little 11 lbs jack russell mix. She survived with only a couple minor scrapes, but is forever traumatized by dawn walks now. Can’t blame her, the healthy (looked to be almost German Shepard sized) cyote crossed 6 lanes of major road to spring on us in the parking lot of the neighboring Fryes Electronics.
She held her own though before I was able to intervene, ruff n tuff I call her!

Thanks everyone, that No. 1 is a favorite and almost daily wear.

Indeed, I knew this family was there in the landscaping. Found out the hard way on walk with my little 11 lbs jack russell mix. She survived with only a couple minor scrapes, but is forever traumatized by dawn walks now. Can’t blame her, the healthy (looked to be almost German Shepard sized) cyote crossed 6 lanes of major road to spring on us in the parking lot of the neighboring Fryes Electronics.
She held her own though before I was able to intervene, ruff n tuff I call her!
Glad she came through that OK. Been a couple years now... but we had coyotes “terrorizing” some of the neighborhoods near by here in South Fl. There were a few incidents where some small pets were snatched off of front lawns and one I remember where a dog was snatched off a leash and then the coyote squared up facing the owner... I believe a child.. to defend its meal. Can’t remember if anyone was able to rescue their pets.

RossRYoung

Practically Family
Glad she came through that OK. Been a couple years now... but we had coyotes “terrorizing” some of the neighborhoods near by here in South Fl. There were a few incidents where some small pets were snatched off of front lawns and one I remember where a dog was snatched off a leash and then the coyote squared up facing the owner... I believe a child.. to defend its meal. Can’t remember if anyone was able to rescue their pets.

Dang, Joe! Yeah there’s more of that activity near the hills, not super frequent in these parts. Can’t imagine what that kid went through.

Dawn patrol at the vacant commercial space across from my apt reveals some true western locals, only captured the one but at least 3 of them in the pack.
View attachment 309111 View attachment 309112 View attachment 309113

love the hat, Ross.

I see coyotes all the time and hear them even more often. A few weeks back I took a shot at one that was working a group of lambs, but I rushed the shot and missed and the coyote didn’t stop running to look back until it was a good 700 yards away. I leave them alone normally, but if they go after livestock I don’t hesitate to shoot them. They are opportunistic survivors. They can adapt to just about any environment. One of the few large mammal species that there are more of now than there were before Europeans came to North America.

glider

A-List Customer
Any wild animal that isn't afraid of humans anymore is dangerous. Coyotes can be very dangerous, there is a bounty on them in some states. Wild pigs are a real problem in the south, they reach 6 and 7 hundred pounds. Ranchers in Texas will pay hunters to hunt them. We are starting to have black bears in Missouri, it hasn't really been a problem yet.

Any wild animal that isn't afraid of humans anymore is dangerous. Coyotes can be very dangerous, there is a bounty on them in some states. Wild pigs are a real problem in the south, they reach 6 and 7 hundred pounds. Ranchers in Texas will pay hunters to hunt them. We are starting to have black bears in Missouri, it hasn't really been a problem yet.
I’m reminded of a story from about twenty years ago. My brother had invited me out to play the golf course he was working at in Lake Mary, FL (outside Orlando) as we approached the third tee box a bear positioned herself as such to let us know we would not be playing that hole that day. Then as we rode away from the hole in the cart... in my mind it was like the scene in Jurassic park with the Bear taking the place of TRex :):D

I see black bears weekly. As long as people don’t feed them and secure their garbage like they are supposed to they don’t cause problems other than the occasional car accident.

I see mountain lion sign occasionally, but I go years between seeing the cats. Lots of bobcats, but the mountain lions are ghosts. They also spook me a bit. I know statistically I must have been near them sometimes and was seen without seeing. Spooky. We haven’t had a lion attack near me that I’ve ever heard of, but those cats worry me way more than bears.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Very rare in central Texas but they are around. A pack of coyotes will take newborns, but when a 400lb calf goes down, we know a big cat is out there somewhere.

I see black bears weekly. As long as people don’t feed them and secure their garbage like they are supposed to they don’t cause problems other than the occasional car accident.

I see mountain lion sign occasionally, but I go years between seeing the cats. Lots of bobcats, but the mountain lions are ghosts. They also spook me a bit. I know statistically I must have been near them sometimes and was seen without seeing. Spooky. We haven’t had a lion attack near me that I’ve ever heard of, but those cats worry me way more than bears.

Reminds me of a brief encounter I had some years back. We were staying at a townhouse in a wooded golf community while there for a friends party. I walked back to the townhouse to check on the kids sometime after dusk. As I walked down the path secluded between the building and an embankment, the feeling I was not alone. Suddenly in the shadows a few yards in front of me a very large cat with a black tip on its tail. I’m pretty sure an adult male Florida Panther. We both just froze and stared at each other for a moment and went about our business and I slipped into the door of the apartment. The odd thing was when I walked in the door and told my story... my son handed me a drawing and said... I know daddy. Did it look like this? And it did!

Very rare in central Texas but they are around. A pack of coyotes will take newborns, but when a 400lb calf goes down, we know a big cat is out there somewhere.
I had a calf just disappear once. No breech thru the fence & this calf was among a few that was in an area cross fenced off because it had just been weened. Never knew what happened to it but it couldn't have gotten out.

Just about a yr & a half ago there was a pack of coyotes living about a mile north of the pasture in the root wad of a big downed tree on private property. The direction was all wrong to shoot at them, but the whole area is a brand new subdivision of homes now.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
We're covered up with coyotes (and lots of wild hogs). Without 3 big Pyrenees, we would not be able to keep goats and sheep at all.

I had a calf just disappear once. No breech thru the fence & this calf was among a few that was in an area cross fenced off because it had just been weened. Never knew what happened to it but it couldn't have gotten out.

Just about a yr & a half ago there was a pack of coyotes living about a mile north of the pasture in the root wad of a big downed tree on private property. The direction was all wrong to shoot at them, but the whole area is a brand new subdivision of homes now.

We're covered up with coyotes (and lots of wild hogs). Without 3 big Pyrenees, we would not be able to keep goats and sheep at all.

Where I’m at the ranchers all hate the wild hogs and complain about them, but they won’t let me (or most anyone else) hunt them on their property. It’s rare to see them at the higher elevations where the public land is.

About 15 years ago I took out a sounder of 8 or 9 hogs with my car and I’ve hit single hogs another 5-6 times. I hit the sounder at about 85 mph in a Ford Expedition and it didn’t do my rig any favors and it about gave me a heart attack. The blasted things are nothing but nuisances. Our coyotes bother the sheep/lambs, but they aren’t ever discussed at the Ranchers’ Association meetings so I assume they aren’t much trouble. California has had a moratorium on mountain lion hunting floor decades: the ranchers rarely mention them and I think the assumption is that the cats are quietly taken care of through...er...less official means.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner