Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

Boomerang

One of the Regulars
fadut6A.jpg
KSoDg8W.jpg

Stumbling into uncharted territory. Stetson 4X
Can't "like" this one enough, Rick. Outstanding.

That certainly doesn't look like Cali, have you made your way up north?

For all I don’t like about California it has an incredible amount of diversity of scenery: Deserts, temperate rainforest, alpine peaks, billiard table flat farmland, swamps, and beaches. I’m champing at the bit to leave here, but I also know there is a lot I will miss.

Edward

Bartender
Living in London there's not much opportunity to crack out a full western look - though mind you it's probably one part of the UK where it would pass unremarked. (Love that about London - I've been on the tube in full drag and nobody cares. Very refreshing having come from a small village existence where any slight deviation from the norm would have been talked about for weeks...). I've become somewhat more intrigued by the softer - perhaps more historically correct - version of the Western look in recent years, largely through having gotten more into rockabilly. I'm currently toying with the idea of working up a sort of Edwardian gunslinger type look (not entirely historically correct, I know, but a sort-of turn of the century look that carried in the UK across the late Victorian into Edwardian period - i.e. 1890s into 1910s). Frock-coated suit...

The only really Western hat I have currently (unless you count a bowler) is a Campdraft bashed like a fedora.

It's hard to beat a Northwest hat in any configuration. View attachment 317417

This one in particular is a stunning piece.

Nice; has that sort of more fedora-type look. Looks like nice felt, too.

Cool look; I'm sure I've seen photos of Jimi Hendrix in a very similar hat.

fadut6A.jpg
KSoDg8W.jpg

Stumbling into uncharted territory. Stetson 4X

Love the brim curl on this!

Still in CA but right next to NV as well. Anniversary with the misses, first time to Tahoe! A few more pics, for, ya know, reference (and showing off)

View attachment 318476 View attachment 318475 View attachment 318477

Cracking looking leather jacket, too!

Living in London there's not much opportunity to crack out a full western look - though mind you it's probably one part of the UK where it would pass unremarked. (Love that about London - I've been on the tube in full drag and nobody cares. Very refreshing having come from a small village existence where any slight deviation from the norm would have been talked about for weeks...). I've become somewhat more intrigued by the softer - perhaps more historically correct - version of the Western look in recent years, largely through having gotten more into rockabilly. I'm currently toying with the idea of working up a sort of Edwardian gunslinger type look (not entirely historically correct, I know, but a sort-of turn of the century look that carried in the UK across the late Victorian into Edwardian period - i.e. 1890s into 1910s). Frock-coated suit...

The only really Western hat I have currently (unless you count a bowler) is a Campdraft bashed like a fedora.

You know, a lot of Englishmen were involved in the American cattle industry. One of the most well-known was John Tunstall, mentor to Billy the Kid.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
A Bowler would fit the period. An alternative would be Lee van Cleef's hat in a Fist Full of Dollars.

Edward

Bartender
You know, a lot of Englishmen were involved in the American cattle industry. One of the most well-known was John Tunstall, mentor to Billy the Kid.

I wasn't aware of that re Tunstall. I'm actually Irish myself - I gather "my people" have had something of an impact in the US over time, though I'm not sure of our connections to the Old West. Likely building the railroads, like everywhere else!

A Bowler would fit the period. An alternative would be Lee van Cleef's hat in a Fist Full of Dollars.

The black one? I do like that. The bowler came to mind as I gather it was the most common hat in the Old West. It's interesting how far popular perceptions of the "real" Wild West differ so much from the reality, sometimes - a very clear example of the power of Hollywood imagery, perhaps?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR