Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Trying some new looks ‍♂️
Bailey black western, Rands open crown, Texas Hatters derby, Montana Peaks hats Gus, and a baseball cap. I hope I’m not breaking any rules with the last pic. I’ll remove it if necessary.
CFF4C027-9A79-4D60-8358-495C6C1C9618.jpeg
43C2C715-9EBE-4F77-9038-D95226A9AE22.jpeg
CC23642F-26AF-4D96-B8D3-22669A06FB03.jpeg
601362F9-6FAD-41CE-9930-14EF3CF99133.jpeg
436CFFA7-E3CE-4DB5-967C-F2064F206341.jpeg
3C609701-27E1-4EB6-B3FD-0D37E6A357D0.jpeg
36D51F4C-8129-414B-8D3A-AB4D91285F1F.jpeg
79DE33B9-9DAF-4566-A638-056D104B8A12.jpeg

Bailey black western, Rands open crown, Texas Hatters derby, Montana Peaks hats Gus, and a baseball cap. I hope I’m not breaking any rules with the last pic. I’ll remove it if necessary.

Great looks Jeff! Really like the jacket and bolo. The last pic is only breaking a rule by you not posting more photos in the "Show Us Your Guns" thread. :D

Bailey black western, Rands open crown, Texas Hatters derby, Montana Peaks hats Gus, and a baseball cap. I hope I’m not breaking any rules with the last pic. I’ll remove it if necessary. View attachment 345821 View attachment 345822 View attachment 345823 View attachment 345824 View attachment 345825 View attachment 345826 View attachment 345827 View attachment 345828
I love the open crown Rand's. Beautiful jacket. What piece are you carrying?

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I love the open crown Rand's. Beautiful jacket. What piece are you carrying?
Thanks Perry! I had been eyeing that Scully jacket for years at a store at Wall Drug, and they finally marked down the price when business was slow from Covid.
That's my Uberti "Bonney." I believe it is an 1873 Colt single action army reproduction. I loved the case hardened steel frame and the bird's head. Chambered in .45 colt. I'm pretty new to guns, but these reproductions are my favorite. Someday it would be great to find/afford an actual historical piece.

Thanks Perry! I had been eyeing that Scully jacket for years at a store at Wall Drug, and they finally marked down the price when business was slow from Covid.
That's my Uberti "Bonney." I believe it is an 1873 Colt single action army reproduction. I loved the case hardened steel frame and the bird's head. Chambered in .45 colt. I'm pretty new to guns, but these reproductions are my favorite. Someday it would be great to find/afford an actual historical piece.
Wall Drug, what a great place. We stopped there years ago on the way to Colorado.

I've seen the Bonney, nice looking pistol.

Bailey black western, Rands open crown, Texas Hatters derby, Montana Peaks hats Gus, and a baseball cap. I hope I’m not breaking any rules with the last pic. I’ll remove it if necessary. View attachment 345821 View attachment 345822 View attachment 345823 View attachment 345824 View attachment 345825 View attachment 345826 View attachment 345827 View attachment 345828

Great looks there, Jeff. Who could object to a gun known as the Peacemaker?

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Wall Drug, what a great place. We stopped there years ago on the way to Colorado.

I've seen the Bonney, nice looking pistol.

Another hell yeah on the thunder bird and jacket, Jeff! Great lids as well, the Gus is my personal fav. Thanks for sharing the whole lot.

Great looks there, Jeff. Who could object to a gun known as the Peacemaker?

Thanks guys. I had no idea that was the model referred to as the "peacemaker." very cool.
Wall Drug is so kitschy but the western outfitters store there is legit. I seem to make a point of stopping there every time I drive across the state.

TheGuitarFairy

Practically Family
This is a fun one .. a late 40s / early 50s 3X. I get the impression this guy was some kind of custom order or model I'm not familiar with: stampede string appears to have been installed when hat was constructed and Ms Mary's signature and locale is very permanent, done in same shade of gold with same reflective properties as seen on rest of sweat. Best of all it fits ; )
IMG_8442.jpg

IMG_8444.jpg

IMG_8425.jpg

IMG_8427.jpg

IMG_8428.jpg

Last edited:
This is a fun one .. a late 40s / early 50s 3X.

Old 3X westerns are some of my favorites and the LD liners are always great. The stampede string/hatband combo is a common aftermarket item. Stetson currently puts the same type on their Bryson, Mexican palm model. A factory, custom or professional job would never have the strings running behind the sweat in such a fashion and I saw no evidence of a grommet being used. Looks like somebody poked a couple of holes in a nice Stetson.

Some good looks & pics, Jeff. From the black Bailey I get a little Hickok vibe & a little Dylan vibe.

Like the embroidered jacket too. I had my eye on one for a while but could never catch a sale or markdown.

Could you re phrase, Jack?
You're thinking rondel more current than c. 50' ?
To your estimate of late 40's / early 50's, myself I would add 10 yrs to that. 1960 plus or minus a couple yrs would still encompus the embroidered LD liner with protector. Borrowing a pic from Alan's post & explanation of the rondel a while back, you can safely read L to R: prewar, early postwar, & later. I just saved the pic from his OP but if you search you will find his post.

IMG_6297.JPG

I can't really read the embossment other than Mary's first name. I'm under the impression Stetson would have done a much better embossment on a custom order. That looks to me like it was done with some sort of auto paint pen.

TheGuitarFairy

Practically Family
Thanks for this, man and yeah I hear you about signature, I'm thinking something like this too. Plus, Bama' above, pointed out that stampede string is an add on as Stetson would have used grommets.

I was under impression that stars within rondel and large diameter, onion-skin, liner protector were gone by late 40s / early 50s. Early/mid 50s saw introduction of thicker plastic protector. Also, size tags went from fraction only, to whole number + fraction somewhere in there too. Whole number + fraction turning to rectangular tag would signal 50s to 60s transition i bet. What about embroidered liner's? The Death Valley 49'rs BOP I have ("Custom made for ...") is from 60s and has an embroidered liner but I thought as a general rule they're gone by mid 50s?

Here's tag under sweat. Tag plus above mentioned attributes led me to believe c. 50 hat ; )
IMG_8434.jpg

Here's another, almost identical 3X I have here w/ it's tag (both hats w/ 322 block). Always thought this was a late 40s hat. Also, notice size tag doesn't have "Stetson" on it.
IMG_6557.jpg

IMG_6558.jpg

IMG_6562.jpg

IMG_6560.jpg

Last edited:

TheGuitarFairy

Practically Family
Nice OR and interesting combination of attributes. That 3X embossment coming back again in the 60s but the "Open Road XXX Stetson" a holdover .. seems like a transitional hat. So by the 50s some hats would get nasty plastic liner tip while others got to keep the onion skin. (this coming from a bald dude ; ) What does tag under sweat look like? I bet there mightn't even be one present. I've had a bunch of Stetson's from this era that didn't have any.

Last edited:
It’s sometimes difficult for me to discern an onion skin liner from a plastic one in some pics but I generally think of them as pre 53 or before plastic tip protectors. With the white order tag, TGF’s makes me think late 40’s, early 50’s but there are some crossbred hybrids around. @jlee562 May have one of the more unusual examples. That mid-oval stamping is something I’ve never seen below the rectangular JBS label.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner