Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

FunnelVission

New in Town
vintage felts are denser than their modern equivalents. On the earlier hats we can probably attribute that to the use of mercury before the felting process. Also, the felts were likely just processed longer during the felting process. Sometimes they stored for a while and 'aged' before use. Not much has changed as far as machinery goes.

here's a comparison of an early 1900's nutria Boss Raw Edge, and its modern counterpart.

To be fair, the modern felt is particularly thick (minimally pounced for an almost longhair appearance methinks), but there is quite the difference.
Oh, today I learned (a lot)! I can think of a few reasons they don't use mercury anymore lol.

Oh, today I learned (a lot)! I can think of a few reasons they don't use mercury anymore lol.
8BA106A7-2184-4F79-959D-38D9EB4A90BA.gif

@hatophile

I've collected all the pics & illustrations I can find but found no real info about the hat. Hard to scale it up without at least one dimension. I'm thinking with the curl & roll the brim has to be in the range of 3-1/8 to 3-1/2, & the crown 5-3/4 to 6". What say you (or anyone else)?

View attachment 361055

View attachment 361054

View attachment 361056

View attachment 361053

View attachment 361052
I'd say you're about right. I'd love to sit down with a glass of Jack and discuss it with the man himself. I like that black hat in the last pic too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner