Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
A repost from last year. This is a Knox Stagecoach that I refurbished and it's one big hat with a 4 1/2 inch brim width, including the 1/4 inch pencil curl, and a 7 inches tall open crown height. It was a crushed up whopper jawed mess when I first got it...

Before:
IMG-20210218-065126746.jpg

restored to its original open crown shape and the brim ironed out:
IMG-20210218-094529343.jpg

After: Montana Pinch with a Mule Kick in the back, and a new matching ribbon and bow work:
Knox-Stagecoach-14-A.jpg

Brim reshaped:
Knox-Stagecoach-12-A.jpg

On the head:

Knox-Stagecoach-10-A.jpg

Vernon Dalhart, "Jesse James" (1925)

Superb refurb, Terry.
My favourite refurb of The Ballad of Jesse James is this one. The Boss rocks it, the banjo owns it :)

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
If you haven't seen the movie you might enjoy how they used the ballad in this saloon scene with a drunk Robert Ford as played by Casey Afleck. Plus the director created quite the contrast in the character's hat & dress, before & after as Robert Ford tried to live off his notoriety. You might want to skip forward 43 seconds to the saloon scene.

I believe I caught bits of that movie sometime back. That's going on my list of movies to watch. Pretty clever how they brought that song into the scene.

That song was in the closing credits of the Long Riders.

Evidently, the owner of the video doesn't want this played on websites other than You Tube. Click on the "Watch on YouTube" link and it will direct you there and you can watch it....

Last edited:
A well made film telling more than one aspect of the story, wonderfully helped by Nick Cave's musicianship.
The cinematographer used old lenses & had new lenses made that depress & subdue color, & made the frame edges appear out of focus, adding to the appearance of the era.

That's going on my list of movies to watch.
Keep in mind the timeframe of the movie only covers above seven months, Sept 1881!to April 1882, then the time until Fords assassination. It’s pretty accurate but for the sake of brevity some characters were omitted. The more you know the better you will understand the movie.

A repost from last year. This is a Knox Stagecoach that I refurbished and it's one big hat with a 4 1/2 inch brim width, including the 1/4 inch pencil curl, and a 7 inches tall open crown height. It was a crushed up whopper jawed mess when I first got it...

Before:
IMG-20210218-065126746.jpg

restored to its original open crown shape and the brim ironed out:
IMG-20210218-094529343.jpg

After: Montana Pinch with a Mule Kick in the back, and a new matching ribbon and bow work:
Knox-Stagecoach-14-A.jpg

Brim reshaped:
Knox-Stagecoach-12-A.jpg

On the head:

Knox-Stagecoach-10-A.jpg

Vernon Dalhart, "Jesse James" (1925)
Wow! What a hat. And what a great job Terry

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Wow! What a hat. And what a great job Terry
Thank you Blare! It's definitely the biggest hat I have!
The cinematographer used old lenses & had new lenses made that depress & subdue color, & made the frame edges appear out of focus, adding to the appearance of the era.

Keep in mind the timeframe of the movie only covers above seven months, Sept 1881!to April 1882, then the time until Fords assassination. It’s pretty accurate but for the sake of brevity some characters were omitted. The more you know the better you will understand the movie.
Interesting stuff, HJ.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points