Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Thought I'd post this one again from yesterday in the 'WHAYWT' thread. This is a custom Western in Carbon Steel that I made for myself. (I already posted it here before in this thread).

Attachments

• Carbon-Steel-Western-Project-11.jpg
    Carbon-Steel-Western-Project-11.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 66
  • Custom-Western-1~2.jpg
    Custom-Western-1~2.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 45
  • Carbon-Steel-Western-Project-10.jpg
    Carbon-Steel-Western-Project-10.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Carbon-Steel-Western-Project-8.jpg
    Carbon-Steel-Western-Project-8.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Vintage Sunburst

New in Town
I picked this up recently from an antique store for $40. It's in very nice shape. The crown at the front peak is about 4.5" tall, the brim comes in at about 3 7/16" wide (just a hair short of 3.5"). The liner and leather sweatband says "Jones Hatters Western Store, 5001 Montana St., El Paso Texas." The size tag must have fallen off long ago, but there is a remnant of it behind the sweat along with factory tag that says this is a size 7 1/4. I have no idea how old it is, but I'm guessing 1960s.

Attachments

• IMG_20231207_174935539.jpg
    IMG_20231207_174935539.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20231207_174911688.jpg
    IMG_20231207_174911688.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20231207_174849652.jpg
    IMG_20231207_174849652.jpg
    891.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20231207_174818793.jpg
    IMG_20231207_174818793.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20231207_174803129.jpg
    IMG_20231207_174803129.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20231207_174747556.jpg
    IMG_20231207_174747556.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20231207_174727571.jpg
    IMG_20231207_174727571.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20231207_174720400.jpg
    IMG_20231207_174720400.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20231207_174946490.jpg
    IMG_20231207_174946490.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20231207_175043081.jpg
    IMG_20231207_175043081.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 55
Last edited:

wsmontana

A-List Customer
Wearing my new BR Western Dalworth today. It has a little diferent shape than your standard OR clone, more swoop and a modest 2 5/8" brim.
View attachment 568310 View attachment 568312 View attachment 568313 View attachment 568314
More or less how it looked new in the catalog though.
View attachment 568318
I have a DalWorth 40 in the Churchill line. They are in the style worn by the ranchers around Hemphill, TX.

View attachment 568331
View attachment 568332

Very nice gents! I thought my Dalworth was just a 7 3/8 version of StoryPNW’s but my brim is a tad bigger at 2 3/4” and mine seems to be a bit more green. I recently bashed mine into a pinch front and wear it with the front snapped down.

IMG_8671.jpeg
IMG_8674.jpeg

StoryPNW

One Too Many
I have a DalWorth 40 in the Churchill line. They are in the style worn by the ranchers around Hemphill, TX.

View attachment 568331
View attachment 568332
When you spelled it DalWorth it makes so much more sense, not being from Texas I could not figure out what Dalworth meant. I'm now guessing it's a combination of Dallas - Ft Worth?

Very nice gents! I thought my Dalworth was just a 7 3/8 version of StoryPNW’s but my brim is a tad bigger at 2 3/4” and mine seems to be a bit more green. I recently bashed mine into a pinch front and wear it with the front snapped down.

View attachment 568358 View attachment 568359

Seems the style changed slightly over time, I have my SanAnt, 2 5/8" brim too, bashed alot like your Dalworth.

VoodooSan

Practically Family
I'm definitely a western hat addict, so I'll try to show some restraint in this thread. I'm gonna start off with a long-winded tale:

In the very early 90s, I bought a complete beater of a cowboy hat at a “Western Collectables/Flea Market” show in Grass Valley, CA. It was dirty, it was crumpled, it had no headband, no tags, and no lining. BUT, it was pretty decent quality felt, it fit my noggin (or would, with a new headband), and it was CHEAP. So it came home with me.

I immediately sent it off to David Johnson (D Bar J Hats) in Las Vegas, whom I’d dealt with before. David cleaned it, put in new lining and a new headband, bound the edge, and shaped it into a Oreana crown. He did a simply AMAZING job. The problem was, it didn’t look good on me. Something about the shape, just didn’t fit my face/head/whatever, at least in my opinion. I wore it off and on over the years to Cowboy Action Shooting matches, but never grew to love it. tried all kinds of re-shaping on my own, different hatbands, whatever I could think of, to no avail. Eventually, it ended up on a shelf in the garage.

A couple of weeks ago, just as I was about to put it in the car along with other clothing to take to a donation drop-off site, I decided to fiddle with it one last time. Somehow, whether through inspiration, or blind luck, I hit on a crown shape/brim curl, that I REALLY liked. I ordered a ribbon hatband for it, which came in several days later. Finally, after 30+ years of fussin’ and fiddlin’, I love this hat, even though it’s now more of a “western fedora” than a "cowboy" hat.

D Bar J rework.jpg

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
It does look good. I think we all have a hat or two that take time and a few changes to really come into their own.

I'm definitely a western hat addict, so I'll try to show some restraint in this thread. I'm gonna start off with a long-winded tale:

In the very early 90s, I bought a complete beater of a cowboy hat at a “Western Collectables/Flea Market” show in Grass Valley, CA. It was dirty, it was crumpled, it had no headband, no tags, and no lining. BUT, it was pretty decent quality felt, it fit my noggin (or would, with a new headband), and it was CHEAP. So it came home with me.

I immediately sent it off to David Johnson (D Bar J Hats) in Las Vegas, whom I’d dealt with before. David cleaned it, put in new lining and a new headband, bound the edge, and shaped it into a Oreana crown. He did a simply AMAZING job. The problem was, it didn’t look good on me. Something about the shape, just didn’t fit my face/head/whatever, at least in my opinion. I wore it off and on over the years to Cowboy Action Shooting matches, but never grew to love it. tried all kinds of re-shaping on my own, different hatbands, whatever I could think of, to no avail. Eventually, it ended up on a shelf in the garage.

A couple of weeks ago, just as I was about to put it in the car along with other clothing to take to a donation drop-off site, I decided to fiddle with it one last time. Somehow, whether through inspiration, or blind luck, I hit on a crown shape/brim curl, that I REALLY liked. I ordered a ribbon hatband for it, which came in several days later. Finally, after 30+ years of fussin’ and fiddlin’, I love this hat, even though it’s now more of a “western fedora” than a "cowboy" hat.

View attachment 573760

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 573760
It just goes to show that you should never give up on a hat. Looks like you've got that one working for you nicely.

Woodtroll

One Too Many

View attachment 573760

I'm a fan of "western fedoras" myself. Your shaping job turned out great!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav