Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

The picture with the "mountie" crease reminds me of Robert Carradine in the movie " The Long Riders", he plays one of the Younger Boys, I like that look.
On that hat, I like the telescope crease the best.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Remember, it's NOT JUST the crease of the crown, but how the brim is shaped WITH it that would show how it all works. Do you intend to just leave the brin in it's Aussie style of down all around style? If so then i would personally go with a center dent and long side pinches ala the US Cattleman style and my second choice would be the straight Telescope both with some side curl up at the sides of the brim. Then it would have a definate US Western look to it. All depends on what you're aiming for. My Cattleman is as yours and I have left it as it came as I like the Aussie look it was creased in. :)

fmw

One Too Many
I like the gus with pinches best. I put the original crease in second place and the telescope in third. The mountie/campaign crease doesn't work with that brim at all.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the advice so far. I agree, the montana peak is a bit off for this hat, and I really didn't put it in there seriously, but rather just for fun.

As to the brim, I intend to shape that too, although it will definitely remain mostly flat, as that is the most functional for me. I just wanted to see to the crown first.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I'm liking the telescope and the gus.

How's the weather in D.C.? I'll be out there for two weeks in July.

Thanks for the input. The weather is hot and muggy. Right now we are getting a little respite and are only up to the 80s and cloudy, but generally 90s and up and very, very humid. DC is Maryland's unwanted swampland.

426346571_893a4ba3df_z.jpg

The third guy from the left has a Montana Peak with downturned brim. Normally, I would wear it with a flat brim, but this doesn't look that odd to me.
There were some great Western hats in this flick.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
great photo, too.

Yeps- if it were my hat, I'd say you nailed it with the soft cattleman with full side dents. Whatever way, it looks like you've got it under control.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
What to do with the "Megahat..." Last week I raised up the wings and dipped the front and back a little more. This is such a huge hat-- open crowned it looks like a 7 inch lightbulb or something that Papa Berenstain Bear might be caught wearing! After these recent posts, I'm considering dowturning the brim again, just to see.
00822.jpg

T Rick

Practically Family
Question on the early Stetson Boss of The Plains hats. Brim and crown size? Wikipedia says the brim was 4 inches, was pretty sure I'd read elsewhere that it was 3.5 inches. Anyone know which is correct? Or is it likely early examples of varying brim width were around?

And what of the crown? I've seen "reproductions" claiming authenticity with varying measurements for both.

Last, Stetson has a current model in the Old West line, the Austral, which at the very least pays homage to the original though perhaps it's most notable difference is that it's made with a Buffalo fur felt. How colose does this seem to the original to you?

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
TRick-
I've been wondering the same recently. Have you read the recent discussion in the Buckaroo Hats thread, reagarding Neophyte's new custom lid? I've seen that Austral, but again the debate comes down to a slightly more squared versus slightly more rounded crown (the corners, that is). I think most people agree that the crown is straight sided.
I understand that "4 x 4" was the standard dimension, but a 3 1/2" inch brim was also common.
Anyone feel free to correct me/ contribute.

T Rick

Practically Family
TRick-
I've been wondering the same recently. Have you read the recent discussion in the Buckaroo Hats thread, reagarding Neophyte's new custom lid? I've seen that Austral, but again the debate comes down to a slightly more squared versus slightly more rounded crown (the corners, that is). I think most people agree that the crown is straight sided.
I understand that "4 x 4" was the standard dimension, but a 3 1/2" inch brim was also common.
Anyone feel free to correct me/ contribute.

Yes, I've been following that discussion, that is really what inspired me to ask this here. In addition, I found an incredible deal on the Astral at the Stetson Outlet (St. Joe, not Garland), and though I should have held off... well, you certainly know the outcome there ;). I'll put up pics in the New Hats thread and here in the next day or two (I am woefully behind in that New Hats thread, I think I could post one a day for a week or two that I've not yet shown!).

BTW the top of the crown appeared to be rather "squared" (top to side transition) to me on the web pics I'd seen, but I think it's actually nicely rounded (not overly round, but not at all squared either).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace