Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

Mark G

A-List Customer
I am new to the forum and want to let everyone know that the conversations I read here helped me take the plunge and get my first felt cowboy hat, a custom job from Mackey Custom Hats in Shell, Wyoming. I really put a lot of thought into every detail: 100% Beaver, 3 3/4" brim, bound and pencil rolled, 1" ribbon, modified cattleman crease with front pinch, Saharah color. I have been wearing it everyday and around here I don't get a lot of comments. A few "nice hat" but mostly it's inconspicuous. I don't have permission to post pics (for some reason) but I'll do so as soon as possible.

APB

I have two Mackey's both great hats. Pretty hard to beat the service and price.
Natural.jpg

Bone.jpg

Mark G

A-List Customer
Both are 100% and both 6" crowns and 4" brims. Mackey shaped the "Conagher" in bone and I did the telescope. The band on the telescope (natural beaver) is hitched horsehair.

Monte

A-List Customer
Quote Originally Posted by APB View Post
I don't have permission to post pics (for some reason) but I'll do so as soon as possible.

APB

There is a thread on the lounge on how to post pics. I simply created a photobucket account for free and you can click the pic and choose share links. Then you paste it into your message on the lounge....I'm sure there are numerous photo sharing techniques to be found here or elsewhere online. You should be able to post permission-wise. If you hit a snag, ask someone.

Last edited:

TipTop

Practically Family
I have two Mackey's both great hats. Pretty hard to beat the service and price.
Natural.jpg

VERY handsome pair; I especially like the telescope/gambler, whatever, flat top. Have a couple very similar (choc, black, bark and soft mustard) that I feel very comfortable in even here in upstate NY. Welcome and keep up the good (taste) work! Just in case the "mustard" scared you, here tis in MT. It's an 8X Jackson Hole Hat Co.

15724334-md.jpg

Last edited:

Brian Niebuhr

One of the Regulars
I love that mustard color! I wish Akubra made hats in that color. I can't afford another custom right now and honestly I think Akubras are just as good or better than some modern beaver hats. I've only had two custom pure beavers though. One Mackey and one Montana Peaks. My Mackey is by far the better of the two. The other is out on my scarecrow. At least the felt is tight now. Mackey makes nice hats but Akubras are a lot cheaper and seem to hold up just as well though they aren't as soft and smooth.

John Galt

Vendor
I'd take a nutria, Nutria Quality, or Clear Nutria hat over just about
any beaver hat I've ever had. This is partly because they aren't
made anymore, partly because they are amazingly strong felt. Not
a dress hat, but a classy hat that will serve you for a very long time
in any conditions.

If that hat's big enough, maybe we should trade...

I will second this. I have several Nutria and Nutria Quality Stetson cowboy hats from the 40's & 50's, and a South American vaquero style nutria. The Stetsons are floppy, but nonetheless bulletproof. They were sold to working cowboys, and if you've ever worn one, you know why. I will not part with them.

John Galt

Vendor
Ok, here are my Stetson Nutria and Nutria Quality hats. No clear nutria (yet).

Nutria, in Belgium Belly - this was sold at Porter's and originally had a _wooden _reed before the sweat was replaced by necessity, embroidered mounted cowboy on liner:

Add-on: I just noticed that this hat also has a wooden reed. Well, wood resin/pitch/fat wood, anyway - I tasted the first one to confirm this (I was a logger as a young man and know that pine pitch taste well).

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369546207.570669.jpg

Nutria Quality in true (grey) silver belly - this is a very nice hat, "Twenty-Five" style gold on white satin liner:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369546288.021368.jpg

Nutria Quality - buckskin color, John-creased, no liner & came that way:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369546474.138108.jpg

More to follow...

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369546717.104666.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369546717.104666.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 1,620
Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
Marked Nutria on liner, Nutria Quality on sweat. Oldie in black with original crease, as in old ads. The "hand" on this (and the silver belly above) is as good as that my Beaver Brand 100% beaver fur dress hat.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369547155.454211.jpg

John Galt

Vendor
Nutria Quality in buckskin. Liner & sweat similar to the silver belly, but more worn. This is John-creased in the shape I call the "Marshall" after the icon:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369547376.070446.jpg

My South American nutria western is at the office. I will post it another day.

John Galt

Vendor
Here's my first western, a beat up old Bailey premier 8x I rescued from the side of the road, cleaned up and creased. (The black Dunlap above was 7x, btw).

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369548116.168869.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner