Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
I saw some nice Resistol Stagecoachs on here lately so I thought I would add mine. I shaped this hat after the hat worn by young Jake Spoon in the Comanche Moon mini series. View attachment 104093 View attachment 104094 View attachment 104095

Ha, sorry. Yea I put a lot of steam on it and just roll it with my hands. Takes a little time but it works ok.

Spectacular Job on the Pencil Curl , and the Whole Hat ! It looks fantastic . Whoa !

Moving this thread to page 1, then going out to Friday Happy Hour in this Stetson 4X Tom Mix.

IMG_9515.JPG

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here is another 4x Stetson from the 70s. Since they are plentiful and inexpensive, they are a good candidate for experimentation. In this case, I wanted to practice doing kettle curls. This will get a wide ribbon also. Still working at kettle curls but making progress. Now for a black one!
20a5958e3012672a88881a8f23a495d2.jpg
e7d3144d00ab9156069c6344c8aa9d36.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Here is another 4x Stetson from the 70s. Since they are plentiful and inexpensive, they are a good candidate for experimentation. In this case, I wanted to practice doing kettle curls. This will get a wide ribbon also. Still working at kettle curls but making progress. Now for a black one!

You have some skill. That curl looks very nice.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up

Greetings DD et al:
Looks very professional. Do you mind sharing the steps you took to get where it is? I’ve got a No.1 coming and might give her a whirl.
Thanks Dd.
Be well. Bowen

Desert dog

Greetings DD et al:
Looks very professional. Do you mind sharing the steps you took to get where it is? I’ve got a No.1 coming and might give her a whirl.
Thanks Dd.
Be well. Bowen
Thanks Bowen, the steps I have taken are to wet the brim with distilled water, just the perimeter you want to curl, both sides. Then steam about 6-8 inches of brim at a time until it is very hot and very flexible. I have a large stainless pot that I use, to bend the felt over the rim. Then I do another section opposite the first. I keep working sections opposite the previous one until all gaps have been curled. Then I start hand curling and smoothing, working around the brim. I could do better if I had a shackle, but they are expensive. I hope this helps.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Bowen, the steps I have taken are to wet the brim with distilled water, just the perimeter you want to curl, both sides. Then steam about 6-8 inches of brim at a time until it is very hot and very flexible. I have a large stainless pot that I use, to bend the felt over the rim. Then I do another section opposite the first. I keep working sections opposite the previous one until all gaps have been curled. Then I start hand curling and smoothing, working around the brim. I could do better if I had a shackle, but they are expensive. I hope this helps.

DD: thanks man, sure does. Got it. Now i’m thinking bout “pizza pan” types. Big, set hat on top side and work it. Just brainstorming.
Ha...guess a deep dish pizza is best!!
Be well. Bowen

Desert dog

DD: thanks man, sure does. Got it. Now i’m thinking bout “pizza pan” types. Big, set hat on top side and work it. Just brainstorming.
Ha...guess a deep dish pizza is best!!
Be well. Bowen
I use a deep pot with the crown inverted in the pot. The pot is from my home brewing days, so it is probably 5 gallons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana