Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

TomC

New in Town
And what Sam Elliot's hat could look like if they had a hatter to fit him properly. Same hat as previous after just a little work with the steam iron for a long oval head shape. This is why folks make the effort to buy a custom fitted felt hat.
I have noticed the same thing. "Long oval" is not at all consistent. This 7 1/2 long oval is perfectly flat on the table, but bows significantly when I put it on. I think I am doomed, if that's the right word, to custom fitting.
IMG_0137.jpg

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
I have noticed the same thing. "Long oval" is not at all consistent. This 7 1/2 long oval is perfectly flat on the table, but bows significantly when I put it on. I think I am doomed, if that's the right word, to custom fitting.
View attachment 108200

The Long seems to come out of some Ovals , plus some guys are LO , some are XLO or XXLO . There's a Thread on FL about Ovals , and @TheDane posted about the differences . Looks good @TomC . Hatters with Conformatuers can build a Hat that fits perfectly to a particular head , but without wear sometimes the oval will come out .

Yahoody

One Too Many
View attachment 108200

I hear ya Tom. Been working with my newest hat a couple of days now. Likely the closest I have ever gotten to a flat hat with out having to add a pencil curl to keep it flat. But the longer i wear it (and it is a really tight fit) the more flip i get front and back. I'm a xxl LO by any measure. At some point I am going to stop caring and just go with the flow :) I have several hats built on Conformatuers by pros...still no luck on a truly flat hat. If I went up a 1/8 or so in size I could easily get a flat hat. Couldn't use it for much, as it wouldn't stay on my head, but it would be flat.

Pretty sure my head is a xxl LO in the shape of a cone....which isn't very conducive to keeping a western hat on if there is any kind of movement involved!

Last edited:

Moviehats

One of the Regulars
And what Sam Elliot's hat could look like if they had a hatter to fit him properly. Same hat as previous after just a little work with the steam iron for a long oval head shape. This is why folks make the effort to buy a custom fitted felt hat.

So you are saying that one of the best hat makers around didn't know how to fit Sam Elliot properly? If so, why does he continue to use him?

Yahoody

One Too Many
So you are saying that one of the best hat makers around didn't know how to fit Sam Elliot properly? If so, why does he continue to use him?

The conversation was about hats and Elliot's head shape not about a particular hat maker. To be more succinct on what I said, LO or even xxl LO heads are easy enough to fit a hat too. Getting the brim flat on a hat fitted correctly to that head shape it a little harder to do but not impossible. Just takes time.

If a guy wanted a flat hat, this one looks to me to be improperly fit. Might well have been exactly what Elliot wanted. But sure looked out of place to me...dirty well worn hat, (flipped) with that clean white shirt and a proper suit.

7f7005a21b8cff8d443891da4a2a8f9c2790134cc1c2aba8e149c9b419b76008.jpg

My impression and by the look on screen both Elliot's and Paxton's hats were after thoughts.

Check out Paxton's hat sizing. My thought was then, "Who ever was the costume guy on Tombstone was pretty clueless on hats." Actors didn't seem to mind or had no control over costuming. By the accounts seems they were all just happy to get the film made.

I loved Tombstone. But have to think the savior of that movie was a willing and awesome cast. Maybe the real savior and "stars" of that movie Peter Sherayko's "cowboys". Thankfully they already came with proper hats.

Back to the xxl LO head. Having worn one the past 60+ years I'd have to say for the most part when Elliot plays a part he or the hatter on set has it figured out. Easiest way to negate that head shape is add a slight curl to the front or a pencil/kettle curl. More brim shape on Elliot's hats less noticable the LO flip.

Hats I thought look to actually "fit" Sam Elliot's head and didn't find distracting from the charater.

TheRangertheCookandaHoleintheSky-Promo1.jpg

"flat" hat done well on a LO head
th

lee.jpg

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
View attachment 109131 View attachment 109132 View attachment 109133 View attachment 109134 View attachment 109135 Greetings All:
Was lookin at this and thought i’d post it.
Peters Bros. Shady Oaks Banker’s Special Fifty 7x. Just came a few days ago.
BIG SHOUT OUT to Nathaniel Finley for the tip while on his world travels. Thanks man. Had to be a quick draw for this one.
Be well. Bowen
Whoa! That's a great hat. A real gem of a western. Amazing condition. Congratulations!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab

Nathaniel Finley

A-List Customer
View attachment 109131 View attachment 109132 View attachment 109133 View attachment 109134 View attachment 109135 Greetings All:
Was lookin at this and thought i’d post it.
Peters Bros. Shady Oaks Banker’s Special Fifty 7x. Just came a few days ago.
BIG SHOUT OUT to Nathaniel Finley for the tip while on his world travels. Thanks man. Had to be a quick draw for this one.
Be well. Bowen

Excellent, wow! I’m really happy it went to a Lounger!

What’s that old FL saying, show a shot of it on your head or it never happened? :D

Wanted to ask this here instead of in the questions thread; if I iron the brim of a Stetson fuzzy or long hair will that change or flatten the nap? If it does can I scuff the nap back up with a hat sponge?

Yes, to a certain degree.....and No to the hat sponge, use a stiff hat brush.
M

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto